Are IMDB ratings being manipulated?

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Hut*Hut, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Allot of ratings seem to be really inflated while the film is being promoted then gradually drop. Avatar was top 5 OAT (awful!) when there was a buck to make and it's been dropping like a stone since. Avengers is still 8.2 and it's cunt cheese. Am i being paranoid?

2. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    I think it's a combination of marketing, and yahoo's who just love blockbusters and have to see them the second they come out. They like these types of movies, that's why they're lined up ahead of time to watch them.

Then you go to the forums of any particular movie on IMDB and it's the exact opposite. Every cunt with an itch to scratch is there yelling about this movie/actor/director/performance is the absolute worst trash they have ever seen in their history of movie-going.

3. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    are they significantly different than rottten tomatoes ratings?

how do i verify my acocunt on imdb anyway? i gave my mobile number several times and never received any sms:pissed: i think i typed 'postcode' in wrong but i dont get what they mean by that exactly, who gives a mobile with along with an area code..where does the code go? at the start?

:scared:

4. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Manipulated??? Yeah by bandwaggoners..what does it take to rate a movie? Signing IN? I bet if you look back at the first few days of Twilight being out the rating was somewhere in 7-8 stars.. maybe higher from the teenyboppers...a week or two after listening/reading/hearing all the hype over the shitty movie...HATERS come in and bring it down to earth...with 2-3 star ratings

5. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    i guess you's might be right. But i cant believe THAT many people gave avatar or avengers 10/10. Jesus fuck

6. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

You need to realise a few things. One, many people have a different opinion then you so if you didn't enjoy a film doesn't mean someone else didn't. On the other hand even those who did enjoy these films shouldn't be blasting them with 10/10 ratings. I'd consider those people your average bandwagoners who probably only voted on that one film and aren't regular IMDB'ers. Also to get a true understanding of how a film is on IMDB it's best to go into the user comments and read them. Lot's of them are pretty intelligent people but sometimes I've read the most intelligent posting of a film and watched it for myself and came away with a different opinion than the users comment, so you never really know. Another problem is reading peoples comments you'll realize some people down grade films for the dumbest reasons, so I'd take everything with a grain of salt.

The only time I've noticed where it seems a rating has been manipulated is with small budget films where hardly anyone has seen it or rated/commented on it. That is when you have to be suspicous of someone involved with the film giving it a high rating.

7. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

when I was at Avengers, the theater was packed and everybody loved the movie. :dunno:

8. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Avengers got the best reviews from film critics than any other film in 2012 and audiences also agreed, thus the record breaking box office numbers. More people loved it than those who hated it.

9. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    10/10 is ludicrous though
    especially since a rating at around 7 is usually a good movie for imdb standards

there are probably only a handful of movies ever made that i would give a 10

10. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Avengers was fucking awful. I switched it off half way through it was so shit and I like comic book movies.

11. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

Yeah, Avengers was really bad. I was reading something shady about IMDB lately, let me see if I can find it.

12. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Yeah, its basically inhabited by and voted for on by complete cunts with no intelligence whatsoever.
    Awful website.

13. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    the ratings for movies more than 5 years old are solid enough

14. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    How strange. I never even noticed the ratings before, but looking at it now, there is definately something fishy like Hut says.

15. D MAN

D MAN "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I think Avatar was a great movie in theatre 3D, a 10/10, but more like a 6.5/10 on TV. So you have to realise that the big screen can have a big impact on ratings. On the other hand alot of comedies can come across better at home. Plus everyone does have different opinions.

16. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    I turned Avatar off after 45 minutes

It was like a visually stunning adaptation of a story written by a retarded 10 year old... a typical James Cameron film

17. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Like AVATAR, Marvel's The Avengers works better at a movie theater's big screen than on home video tv. Same goes for Close Encounters of the Third Kind and The Ten Commandments.

18. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    They are manipulated. Production companies have people hired to write 10/10 ratings for the new movies. It just doesn't happen that about 100 people get to see the movie in a preview and they all rate it for the Imbd and all give it full marks. Read the first ratings of any big money movie from the last five years or so - it is obvious

Imdb is great if you consider watching an older movie, but to find out the truth about a new one you have to wait for a couple of months and read the ratings that are published after the bullshitting weeks

19. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Imo both movies are overrated. It is the hype that gets the movie high votes. Do you think they pay people to get good ratings?

20. Rainmaker

Home Page:
    [​IMG]

21. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Maybe the studio gets a few people to create multiple accounts

22. Rainmaker

Home Page:
    Very plausible. There is a lot at stake. Especially with these big blockbuster movies. Huge amounts of money are invested in production and promotion. Bad ratings and reviews would cost millions of dollars.

23. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    :lol:

24. Rainmaker

Home Page:
    You have a huge gaping asshole as a result of constant ass pounding.