Only God Forgives - Trailer/Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Anthony, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HEFCN4qaYt4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    :hammert:

This will be Biblical!

3. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Yeah this director's resume is very good. I cant wait for this.

4. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Gatti have you Valhala Rising?

5. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
  6. Anthony

Motherfucker
    yeah i dont know what was in the bottle but it must have been some good shit.

7. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Thank you for posting this trailer. That helped me conclude that this you've seen it a thousand times before in asian films is not for me. :Thumb:

8. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    such as...?

9. Anthony

Motherfucker
    It's not even an Asian film. But yeah im curious to know other films like this.

10. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Simple plot: crime family using a thai boxing ring as a front for their business seeking revenge for the murder of one of their own. Did anyone remembers "Duel of Fists"?

11. Anthony

Motherfucker
    lmao. Dual of Fists? From the 70s? You say that we have seen a thousand times and when asked for an examples you bring up a movie over 40 years old? come on Panch.

12. Anthony

Motherfucker
    BTW, nothing is wrong with simple plots. It's how you showcase the plot is what matters.

13. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    this movie got awful reviews at the cannes film festival. looked very intense from the trailers though.

14. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

Cannes is awful sometimes. If it's not a movie about people smoking, while pondering life and standing around waiting for their world, life or relationship to end............it's really not for Cannes. :nono:

15. joony

Home Page:
    Drive, which was directed by the same guy was well received at cannes two years ago. i think expectations were a little high, but yea, it's very different than the oscars. i thought drive was good because of the editing, coloring, sound effects and score. the plot was whatever.

i heard kristen scott thomas delivered an excellent performance though. still looking forward to watching, but not as much as i did before the critics shitted on it.

16. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I usually dismiss what critics say and am still very looking forward to this movie, but i heard something like Gossling delivers only like 25 lines in the whole movie. And he show's no emotion whatsoever in any scene.

17. Anthony

Motherfucker
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H_SUxak8aPQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Here is a small review

I won't get into spoiler territory in this review. Honestly, there's such a slim storyline that to relate any incident would spoil the first third or half of the film. And it's not a film that's very concerned with events or causality anyway. Visions, fate and the roles we have to play are the driving forces at play. I've only seen five films of Refn: Pusher and its first sequel, Bronson, Valhalla Rising and Drive. Of the five, I rank them from least interesting to most amazing: Pusher, Pusher 2, Valhalla Rising, Bronson, Drive.
    I haven't seen a better movie since Drive, that's how much I enjoyed it.
    So, lots of expectations, tempered by the early reviews (some of which were glowing but mostly, not so much).
    Only God Forgives is just as well shot as Drive. It features a great score and a superb sound mix, much like Drive. And the sets hit just the right balance between kitsch, authenticity and dreamlike.
    For the rest, long story short: a script would have been nice. Drive almost plays like a talkative Woody Allen next to this film. And I dig silence: 2001 is one of my favorite films. So is Drive, to a lesser extent. I understand that Refn wants to make “pure cinema” in the Hitchcokian sense, it's all very ambitious and visceral and when it works, it works extremely well (look at all the silent parts of North by Northwest, Rear Window or the wordless interludes in Shining or Once Upon a Time in the West).
    Still, dialogues are sometimes necessary for such things as plot and character development. Because OGF really plays like a twin to Valhalla Rising. Except in Valhalla, these were brutish, uneducated men from the Dark Ages, they weren't really known for their verbal eloquence. And its silent mysticism felt more attuned to the era and predicament (but perhaps that's because I'm unfamiliar with Oriental mysticism). We understand early on that this is a bilingual film, where some characters only master one language, but there should have been more dialogues for the film to connect with the audience. And there's a body part in this that is overly fetishized and it becomes tiresome very quickly. Drive is like a gorgeous girl masturbating in front of you, both verbally and literally, keeping you at arm's length all the while as she soliloquizes about Western vs Eastern symbolism (we've all had that happen, right?).
    Atmosphere is well handled but ultimately rings a little hollow, mostly because of the barely sketched characters. Scott-Thomas delivers a strong, singular performance, as does Vithaya Pansringarm. However, they remain ciphers (or ghosts of characters). Ryan Gosling is a bit wasted here. I don't know if it's the lack of direction but he is perhaps too witheld for his own good. Julian is no Driver. While Drive could conjure contradictory emotions within the same sequence, OFG is more monotonous or obsessional. Anyway, it isn't a bad film but even its inclusion in the official competition feels a bit generous.
    There were even some points where I felt the film should have been aiming higher, within its own logic, and these missed opportunities feel like a lack of imagination. Something I can't say for most of Refn's filmography because I quite like the man and his radical choices. At times, it plays like a sub-par Lynch. Or a neon-lit samurai film with karaoke.
    So, not an uninteresting work, just both a bit of disappointment as a follow-up to Drive and a (small) step back for Refn. I rank it between Pusher 2 and Valhalla Rising.
    Hope I didn't dampen your expectations too much. It's still gorgeous to watch, quite hypnotic and the music and sound mix are worthy of the big screen. Some people might even find it cult and you might enjoy its mysteries. Others will yearn for something that resonates aside from the soundtrack. Like its characters, the film is fighting against itself.
    On a final note, it's very bloody. Not glamorously so, but gruesome as hell. The action quotient is minimal though. Slow and bloody and often visually sublime, Only God Forgives will divide.

19. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

It's funny you mentioned that because just going off of the music in the trailer, it had me wondering if this film was done by the same guy who did Drive. At any rate it looks good, and I think I'll check it out at some point.

20. Anthony

Motherfucker
    dont do it man. Trust me. You will hate it or walk out within the first 30 minutes.

21. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    I rate his films like this:

1.Pusher 2
    2.Pusher
    3.Pusher3
    4.Bleeder
    5.Drive
    6.Valhalla Rising
    7.Bronson

22. lb 4 lb

Thanks AntAKnee. After reading your warning to me I decided to read the review you posted and I'm going to take your advice and skip it. Going to download the soundtrack though.

23. Anthony

Motherfucker
    My man. I'm right there with you on that soundtrack.

24. lb 4 lb

Yeah, I really liked the Drive one. Not the whole thing but had a few nice gems.

25. joony

Home Page:
    gonna watch this tonight. hopefully it's not as bad as critics make it out to be. looks like its ratings on rottentomatoes actually dropped even further since its release today.

26. Anthony

Motherfucker
    let me know man.

27. joony

Home Page:
    i thought it was entertaining. if anything, it was filmed beautifully w/ its coloring, sound effects/editing, and original score(done by cliff martinez, the same guy who composed the music for Drive). there's not much of a plot and some of the scenes were drawn out and a bit repetitive, so i could see why many critics were brutal in writing their reviews.

as far as the dialogues go, there isn't much more than what you'd see on a trailer. in terms of acting, kristen scott thomas delivers, but everyone else hardly talks and their performances should be based on their stoic facial expressions.

some of the scenes were extremely graphic and violent, much more so than it was in Drive. the fighting scene between gosling and the thai dude was pretty authentic and realistic. the main thai cop character was badass, somewhat similar to the villain in No Country for Old Men except he doesn't talk.

overall, i wasn't expecting a whole lot, but it was still worth watching.

28. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    :Thumb:

29. Anthony

Motherfucker
    You can watch it on Itunes right now.

30. lb 4 lb

Soundtrack sucked. Wasn't really like the Drive one. I didn't keep one song.