Elysium trailer

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oIBtePb-dGY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz More liberal bullshit from Hollywood.

3. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    I think it looks fucking great. Anthony's just offended because he thinks he's one of the 1%'ers. :nono:

I was a big fan of District 9, Curious to see how this guy does with a bigger budget to work with.

4. Anthony

Motherfucker
    filmed in canada to avoid paying huge taxes.

5. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

Who gives a shit where it was filmed? This is the last argument I would expect to hear from you, on the relevancy of a film..................or are you just pulling my chain?

This is a "Roll With the Punches" type of argument. :nono:

6. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Because the theme in this movie is clear. Rich bad, poor good. The rich want to keep all their money and not share with the people on earth, blah blah blah. All while being filmed in Canada to avoid paying high taxes here in California so they can keep more of their money. It's the very definition of hypocritical.

7. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    All I care about is what's on the screen, not about whatever back lot deals they have in place to get the movie made. Movies are filmed in Canada and Overseas all the time to save in production costs.

If "Apocalypse Now" sucked, I wouldn't care that Martin Sheen almost died of diarrhea trying to film it.

8. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Of course that is all you care about. But when a movie this dividing comes along, many people care. Go on IMDB, and nobody is talking about how great movie it will be. everyone is talking about politics and rich vs. the poor. This movie isnt even subtle. It's blatent. And the fact that liberal hollywood, who always talks about the rich vs. the poor and how the rich should pay their fair share, etc. etc.(Matt Damon specifically) now puts out a movie so blatent, i cant help but point out the hypocrissy of where it was filmed and why. It's not to "save production cost" as you say. It's to avoid the ridiculous taxes imposed here in California.

9. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

I still don't care about any of that, and the IMDB message boards are a bane on society that I refuse to participate in.

Doesn't seem like that dividing of a topic to me. It's pretty standard fare for the movies, the have's against the have nots.

The Director is South African, and I still don't see how they are obligated to film anything in California, or anywhere else.

10. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Yeah, and isn't that the same theme the Hunger Game films/books are based on? The Have's vs have nots? At the same time however, I'm not sure I want to see this one based off the trailer.

11. Anthony

Motherfucker
    You wouldn't care about that. but the fact of the matter is that with regards to this movie that is pretty much the discussion. And the director doesnt matter when it comes to films locations. It's the production companies. The people making most of the money and fronting the money as well as being taxed making these decisions. The fact is that Hollywood is the biggest violator of outsourcing in this country. Yet have no problem pointing their liberal fingers at the rich.

You enjoy the movie. Put your head in the sand and act like nobody will be talking about the movie being divisive. You say none of it bothers you, but you clearly have spent much time in here discussing it.

12. Anthony

Motherfucker
    It's the theme of many Hollywood productions. But this one is so damn blatent, they dont even try to be subtle. And when it comes to politics, Matt Damon is the biggest clown out there. He isnt even that bright.

13. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Anthony must have a ticket already booked on that fantastical space station in the sky. Don't worry, they'll never let you on it unless you've already sold a billion hamburgers to 3rd Worlders.

You can look forward to the upcoming Craig T. Nelson space opera about rich railroad and cable company owners who take back the moon from poor but evil disenfranchised space miners and fast food rest stop workers. They can call it "Atlas, Ehhhh".

:pray:

14. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Agreed. I also loved District 9. Can't wait to see this movie.

15. Panchyprsss

For a different tone from previous posts I'll add that I felt goosebumps and a sense of deja vu when I watched this trailer. Why? Because back in 1979 while i was in college I wrote a story titled 'Spheres of Tomorrow' about the future society in which all the scientists and brilliant minds of earth build a paradise-like space station orbiting earth and then the disgrunted earth inhabitants starts another World War and some governments target the space station as the 'must-conquer-or-destroy' target. (sounds pretty close to this movie doesn't it?) At the end in my story, the Space station colonists reject their earth citizenship, declares its independence and retaliates, threatening to blow to dust all the major capitals of the earth if hostilities doesn't cease immediately. This brings peace to all mankind since they got the bigger and deadliest weapons at the space station... or so they let them think that!

16. Rainmaker

Home Page:
    [video=youtube;Xl4x2-PNc9I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl4x2-PNc9I[/video]

17. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Shit I was loving it for the first 2 minutes....then it turn into a shoot'em up SHIT....

18. Rainmaker

Home Page:
    When are you going to watch Man Of Steel?

19. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Tomorrow.....or maybe Wednesday...not sure...

20. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

So you have a problem with rich companies outsourcing and not paying taxes?

21. Anthony

Motherfucker
    No, i have a problem with hypocrites who claim such practice is wrong, while doing the exact same thing when it comes to their profession.

22. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

I'll ask the same question again.

So you have a problem with rich companies outsourcing and not paying taxes?

23. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I'll answer again. NO, i have a problem with hypocrites who claim such practice is wrong, while doing the exact same thing when it comes to their profession.

24. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Ah ok, so the practice itself is fine.

25. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Elysium looks boring as all fuck. I got no interest in seeing this.

26. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I have no issues with outsourcing. I think the taxes in some of these states are fucking crazy. The taxes in california are fucking mind blowing.

27. Panchyprsss

To a certain point I agree with Anthony: from the trailers it looks like the only 'evil' the people at Elysium has committed is being rich and successful. This film would have been loved by communist Soviet Union back in the day. It will be hard to root for Matt Damon's character since from any angle it is viewed he is just a damned terrorist. I moved recently to a very nice community in Florida where, truth be told, not anyone can afford to live here. At least not anyone living on foodstamps and government pensions. I will hate to see low income people trying to take over by force my community just because they want it, but didn't earned enough to pay for it. Karl Marx is alive and well and living in Hollywood.

28. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Oh Christ, Panchy's a Randian all of a sudden. :wack:

29. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Ok, went out and watched it this weekend. Decent flick, but a bit of a disappointment in that it could have been better. They had the chance to make an epic movie, but when it comes down to it, it's just another summer action flick. Seems Hollywood insists on coming in under the 1 and 50 minute mark nowadays, to keep the Lb. for Lb's and Panchy's of the world from nodding off in the movie theater.

We could have had a "Blade Runner" type movie, instead we get District 9 II with a bigger budget.

Therefore, we have very little character development, almost non-stop action, and some head scratching leaps in logic. Acting was solid, had a great villain, and the movie looked stunning. It seemed to have higher ambitions, but it never really lived up to them.

7/10

30. Muzse

Muzse "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Saw it. Not great.