Just Saw Iron Man 3...SPOILERS...

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Buddy Rydell, May 3, 2013.

1. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    I think the writing was the best of the three movies. As a threequel, it was very very strong. Ben Kingsley was good as per usual and his role had a very nice twist, but Guy Pierce was very very good---bordering on excellent.

2. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

I wanna check this one out

3. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

IRON MAN 3

GENRE - ACTION

PREMISE - Tony Stark faces off against a new hidden foe and tries to solve the mystery of this enemy's where-abouts and new style of explosive attack. What he will find will pit him against a new type of enemy more powerful than even himself. He must deal with all of this while also dealing with the occasional panic attack brought on from his experiences in the Avengers film.

CRITIQUE - I'm a big fan of the previous 2 IM films and I felt this was the weakest of the 3. I can't exactly put my finger on it, maybe it's just me or maybe I'd feel differently if I watched it again, but I didn't really enjoy this film. From the very begining the pace felt off, the story was moving through too much too quickly, and a lot of the humor felt too forced. To me, even Downy Jr.'s portrayl of Tony Stark felt a bit forced and not as natural this time around.

The action sequences--though not terrible--weren't all that great to me either. None of the other characters stood out well except for the Mandarin who turned out to be quite a funny character and done well, even if they did take him to a ridiculous turn. The cinimatography and direction were okay but I felt the pace was off and the humor and dialogue felt too forced at times. It was enough that I never really got into the film from the opening scene. It was still a solid 6 out of 10 and I'm sure I'll watch it again, but I expect more from an Iron Man film and think the other 2 were 8-9 out of 10.

Score - 6.5/10

4. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    It was the best of the three. The movie was mediocre imo.

5. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I liked Ben Kingsley's twist, and Guy Pierce is one of the best actors out there right now.

6. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

[​IMG]
    IRON MAN 3 Is bigger! Is more spectacular! It has more conflict! It broke all the franchise's previous records ($175.3 million in three days at domestic box office...a total worldwide now of $680 million)! Is this the better entry in the trilogy? Nope. The first one is still the best IMO. It is head and shoulders better than the second one, though. Even with all the action here, the film thus suffers from a serious case of 'overload': it has too much going on on almost every department: too much Tony Stark (sure Downey Jr is a charismatic and funny Stark, but I wanted to see more IRON MAN...every time he dons the suit he takes it off almost immediately), too much of the 'panic-attack' demons, too much Transformers-like cgi robotics action, too much of the president sequences, too much of the villains without giving much thought on exactly how they turned like or for what reason. Unlike Gatti I didn't like the treatment given to the Mandarin character. I mean, he is after all the biggest enemy of Iron Man in the comic books, sort of like Lex Luthor to Superman or the Joker to Batman. A great opportunity ruined. That said, the film gives Pepper (Gwynett Paltrow) more to do and she was able to flash her athletic toned belly too. It has here and there references to the Avengers and the after the credits scene was Shawarma-like funny. Robert Downey Jr. mentioned recently he might not be reprising the role again. Maybe that is why the end credits showcased pics from all the previous films ala Rocky 5?7.5/10

7. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    downey is filming avengers 2

8. Panchyprsss

9. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Good post panchy

10. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    He is already in pre production. He is asking for like 50 million dollars and Marvel will be stupid not to give it to him. All sources at Marvel and all around town here have marvel talking about moving onto the second phase of their story telling. And Iron Man/Downey will be at the center of it. Downey will be the highest paid actor in history, mark my words. 50 mil a movie and 20% of the Box Office.

11. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    I never read the comics and don't know the backstory, I just thought it was a funny twist. For half the movie you watch Ben Kingsley chew up the scenes with his Bin Laden type character and it looks like he is taking himself way too seriously and then they drop that on us.

And he was not really the Mandarin, Guy Pierce was the real Mandarin.

12. Panchyprsss

The Mandarin in the comic books is a Chinese evil genius who tries to conquer the world. He posses 10 powerful rings, each powerful enough to cause serious harm to Iron Man's armor suit.

13. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaG5SAw1n0c

14. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

REED Saw it Yesterday...

Pretty Good Flick...NOT Very Good or Great, just PRETTY Good...Definitely NOT the Best Movie of the "Iron Man" Franchise, but Entertaining, Nonetheless...

As Panchy Noted, there's Toooooo Much "Tony Stark"...The Iron Man Suit was Almost an AFTERTHOUGHT...Hell, Pepper, Rhodey AND the President All Wore SOME Variation of the Iron Man Suit in this Flick...

From REED's Memory of the Comic, Rhodey ONLY Wore the Suit Because Stark was MORE Interested in Staying Home Getting DRUNK, than Saving the World...As Such, Stark GAVE the Suit to Rhodey...

But REED Doesn't Recall ANYBODY Else EVER Wearing the Iron Man Suit...

REED:kidcool:

15. Panchyprsss

Well, by the treatment the Mandarin got in this film it is obvious the filmmakers are not following the comicbook storyline that faithfully.

16. lb 4 lb

I don't get why everyone hates the 2nd Ironman film. I thought it was just as good if not better than the first. I thought Justin Hammer was played well as was the villan played by Rourke. It also had very good action sequences.

17. loadedgloves

loadedgloves "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Saw it the other day. Fucking awful movie. All of these "blockbuster super hero" genre films are formulaic and stupid. The "twist" everyone was so blown away by was basically given away at the very start of the movie, you'd have to be blind or retarded to not catch it. -10000/10, just like every other one of these shitty films made for 10 year olds but that adults still watch for whatever stupid reason. Also, Gwyneth Paltrow is an ugly haggard toothpick. I wouldn't fuck her if I were Robert Downey Jr, let alone Tony Stark.

18. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

WOW!!!...

You Actually WASTED Time & Typewritten Words in an Effort to Tell Posters, Who Actually LIKE Comic Book Flicks, that YOU PERSONALLY Find them "Formulaic & Stupid"???...

Hopefully You Feel BETTER Now...

REED:mj:

19. loadedgloves

This thread is for giving opinions about the movie Iron Man 3, positive or negative. I have a hard time understanding how you could be confused about this, when you did the same earlier. Then again, you do like movies made for 10 year olds, so that gives some insight to your level of intellectual development. *shrug*

20. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Huh???:scratcher:...

CLEARLY, within your Assessment of Iron Man 3, you Made a SWEEPING JUDGEMENT of the Comic Book Genre In General AND Those that Watch Them...If the Thread were Titled "Do YOU Like Comic Book Flicks", THEN you'd Actually have a Fucking Point...As is, you're Merely in your CUSTOMARY Position of Being a PRICK just for the Sake of It...

Did You REALLY Question REED's "Intellectual Development" while Simultaneously Believing that Films w/200 MILLIONish Dollar Budgets are "Made for 10 Year Olds"???:lol:...

Educate YOURSELF on the Target Audience for Said Films, then Holla Back, Homegirl...

21. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Do You Feel BETTER Now???....

22. loadedgloves

Story of your life, I'm sure.

I mentioned it as an aside in my critique of the film, pointing out that the film doesn't depart from this standard. How a film
    performs relative to its contemporaries in the genre is certainly relevant to any sort of formal or informal film
    review. This seems obvious.

Let's see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_films

#1 is "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End", which here:

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/pirates-of-the-caribbean-on-stranger-tides

Is said to be most appropriate for 11 year olds.

#2 is "Tangled." "Tangled" is an animated Disney film starring Mandy Moore. The budget for this film was $260 million, which blows away the $200m budget for Iron Man 3.

So yes. Once again, you establish beyond doubt that you're a giant fucking moron. Sadly, you lack the sense or awareness to be embarrassed by this.

The target audience for this type of film is a male tween. "10 year old" might be hyperbole, but that's a heck of a lot closer to reality than "40 year old grown ass man."

23. loadedgloves

By the way, you seem to be "wasting a lot of time" on arguing about my opinion of a movie. As pathetic and miserable as your world is, I'm nevertheless flattered that my views are given such importance in it.

24. lb 4 lb

Pretty much all films are formulaic in one way or another. That said, I did miss the lead in to the twist you spoke of. Did you take your kids to go see this?

25. loadedgloves

"we create our own demons" *disses nerdy scientist who looks mentally unbalanced* *plant explodes a few mins later* *same guy shows up looking suave and evil later* .. come on. there was a lot of 9/11 imagery in the film as well, "the mandarin" clearly was a "2 minutes hate" character.

my boys are 3.5 years old, daughter 4 months. little bit young for IM3, yet.

26. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

"Let's See"...
    Looks like Someone Needs to REED their Fucking Link Again:laugh11:...

It CLEARLY States, in the Opening Paragraph of YOUR Link, that Spiderman 3 (Which was just as Much a Chick Flick as a Comic Book Flick, to Be Honest) Holds the "Official Record" @ 258 Mil...You Incessantly Spout BULLSHIT about your Level of Intelligence, then you INCORRECTLY Quote a Wiki Link???...BRILLIANT!!!...What an Oblivious DIPSHIT you Are!!!...

It's Pretty OBVIOUS you have INSECURITIES in Regards to your Mental Capacity (& a Transparent LACK Thereof), Which Manifests Itself in a CHILDISH Habit of OVERSTATING Your Worth in that Regard...But Alas, If You were Even HALF as Smart as You PRETEND to Be, there'd Be NOfuckingREASON to Pound your Fellow Posters into "Bolivian" w/it..."No, REALLY, I'm SMART!!!":ant:...

Fuuuurthermore, you Bring an UNSOLICITED KILLJOY Attitude to a Thread Filled w/People who Actually LIKE Comic Book Flicks...You have to Be a MISERABLE Piece of Shit to Go OUT of your Way to Heap BITTERNESS Upon Something Liked by MILLIONS...There's ALOT of Shit that REED Doesn't Like, but U NEVER See REED in those Topics Denigrating the Product OR those that "Dare" to Appreciate It...

It's NOT that REED (or Anybody Else for that Matter) Gives a Flying Fuck about your Opinions...When You Bring an ANTAGONISTIC, PRICKly Attitude to An Otherwise CIVIL Situation, EXPECT to Be Rebuffed...

Now Kindly Take your Bitchmade, Perpetually Annoyed Ass On Elsewhere...

27. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Absolutely...

There's a PREDICTABILITY to ALL Films, even MYSTERIES...But Leave it to a PMS'ing SHE-Male, w/a Axe to Grind Against Comic Book Flicks, to Talk Shit....

REED:shadow:

28. loadedgloves

I'm seriously amused that you went to the effort of reading the entire page (while still failing to comprehend what it actually said) when there's a chart there clearly showing what the most expensive films are

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ve_productions_.28unadjusted_for_inflation.29

Apropos to what you said:

Spider-Man 3 is the most expensive going by released, official figures but I don't think anyone would argue that it was actually more expensive than the PoC film cited.

Regardless, you're setting up a strawman here (look it up or have an adult who knows how to reason explain it to you). The discussion was not whether or not a children's film is the most expensive, it's whether or not a $200m film can be made for children:

We established you were dumb for saying this.

I'm sure that, given your level of discernment on such matters, this seems to be the case to you.

You know what's a childish habit? The way you type like a 14 year old girl who's trying to be cute & gimmicky. Just like everything else about you, it's gay as fuck.

Also, you're confusing me calling you stupid with me calling myself smart. You are dumber than most people, so (*patiently explaining to the moron*) it follows that most people are smarter than you, it's nothing to brag about.

"wahhh the man who doesn't type like a gimmicky fucking retard made fun of me!!! :cry:"

(though you have, in fact, done this before)

:lol: Yeah, that seems obvious

I'd tell you to take a hike too, if the idea of you doing any sort of physical activity wasn't so beyond the realm of the imaginable.

29. loadedgloves

:lol: you obviously looked up "formulaic" in the dictionary & went with an incorrect definition, given the context. What a fucking idiot.

30. lb 4 lb

Well if you didn't take the kids and you hate these kind of films why did you go see it?