Europa Report

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Anthony, May 18, 2013.

1. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XhdRYk1Y8VA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Look okay....

3. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Looks freaking good. Definitely looking forward to this one although it has the potential to suck based on what the threat actually will be.

4. Anthony

Motherfucker
    it looks better than that gravity shit.

5. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Europa seems more epic....hopefully it's not one of those movies that go on and on and on...not much happening for the first hour....but like p4p said...what is the threat? hopefully not living rocks...:eek:

Gravity looks like a fun movie.......but what the fuck is it about?...everything from the trailer seems to be from 10-15 minutes of the movie.....they are out in space...part of their ship seem to be destroy by meteor rock or something....then they are struggling to keep visual/in contact with each other while all hell breaks out...

6. Anthony

Motherfucker
    One think funny about Gravity is that i was offered free tickets to see a screening of the movie in February of 2012. that shit was pushed back this far? I dont have high hopes for it.

7. lb 4 lb

That actually is a bad sign if the delay is due to rewrites and not being satisfied with the finished product. However, doesn't it usually take several months to get the CGI stuff done? At any rate why didn't you go check out the prescreening, and where was it at?

8. Anthony

Motherfucker
    It was on a Wednesday and i couldnt make it.

9. lb 4 lb

Saw this. It wasn't that bad at all. It doesn't feel like a big budget go to the movies kind of feel though. Seems more like one of those first person video movies even though lots of the space and planet shots look awesome. Parts of the film are told in a reporting kind of way where the crews are giving interviews in a past tense format but there are acting scenes too, just don't expect much to any character development. Still it wasn't a bad film, just not good enough for me to sit through it again.

5.5/10.

10. Anthony

Motherfucker
    yeah it's pretty low budget it heard.

11. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

I will check it out this weekend (is online), but from the trailer it started optimistic (something fresh at last!) and apparently turns into another scifi-horror thriller. Oh well.

12. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Looks like an improvement on Apollo 18. Hopefully they didn't just pinch the ending of THAT movie.

13. Panchyprsss

[​IMG]
    Europa Report This indie low budget film while in a nutshell tells a familiar story, it gets kudos for trading the schlock for big ideas and going the realistic route instead of the spectacle seem in big budget films. It is refreshing to watch a scifi film honoring the science for once even if it hurts at the box office. The film was released on a mere 3 screens and expanded only to 12 screens collecting only a pocket change of $125,856. Too bad because this little film deserved better. Heck I enjoyed it more than 'Gravity'! Europa Report is throwback to the deadly serious hardcore science fiction films of the early 70's post 2001: A Space Odyssey. Filmed in the 'found footage' format (which here makes perfect sense) the film feels more like a NASA training film than a work of fiction during its first half where honestly nothing happens, but still keeps you interested if you don't have short attention span. Some of the space shots are truly beautiful and the landing and exploration of Jupiter's fourth moon, Europa, is fascinating...until it turns into a typical space horror story. Have the filmmakers had the balls they appeared to have during the first hour and just gave us a credible space exploration film sans the alien threat, this could have been a minor scifi classic. To me that detour ruined an otherwise brilliant film. 8/10

14. lb 4 lb

How the hell can you give a found footage film with very little dialogue and character development an 8 out of 10? It almost seems like you were grading this on a curve. And I seriously doubt this is better than Gravity.

15. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

The first half was decent/interesting but boring...once they land on the planet complete SHIT....so 4-5/10

16. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

i didn't even watch this or really even know what you are talking about but i think we can all agree that most things "EURO" blow

17. Anthony

Motherfucker
    It's not better than Gravity. I actually thought it was just okay. I would give it a 5. The ending was bullshit. Gravity is amazing.

18. lb 4 lb

And hear I was thinking you were too prideful to ever admit you were wrong.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  19. Panchyprsss

It has plenty of dialogue, but yeah, little character development. I didn't said it is better than 'Gravity', just that I enjoyed it more. The characters are more credible to me than George Clooney in 'Gravity' though.

20. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Finally caught this on Netflix last night. Really liked it. Had some nice understated acting and a realistic tone to it. Has a low star rating on Netflix, probably because it wasn't what people expected of it. As for the ending, I read it much differently then most others did.

Spoilers below:

They did not find a "monster", they found "life". The mission was ultimately a success because their death was NOT a mystery. They were able to transmit their story back home. They were fucked one way or another. Nobody panicked, nobody begged for their life, they got their mission done like trained astronauts were supposed to. A monster didn't kill them. Traveling millions of miles through space and landing on a sheet of thin ice on a strange moon is what killed them.

Acting was first rate, design of the inside of the ship was first rate. Wish they had a few more bucks to spend on the design of Europa, once they landed on it. The outside Cinematography got a bit murky once they landed the ship at their destination.

7.5/10

21. lb 4 lb

I'm sorry but the monster totally killed them. Traveling millions of miles through space and landing on a sheet of thin ice on a strange moon may have led up to them getting killed but make no mistake that hungry fucking monster is what killed them. If you're going to try to sound all smart and use intelligent deflection to say what killed them, then where does it stop? Because you can say signing up for the Astronaut program is what killed them, or going to college and getting an education is what killed them. Bullshit, it was the fucking monster all day.

22. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    They were already dead. They fucked up the launch off the moon. If the monster didn't get them, they would have eventually ended up at the bottom of the Europan Sea. The monster just facilitated the ending. I liked "Gravity" a lot, but I'm glad this movie didn't jerry rig together a miraculous ending like that film did.

I'm with you that space monsters at the end of this type of film. It's usually a quick scare cop-out.

I didn't see it as a "monster", because the astronauts didn't see it as a monster. It was proof of life. Proof of a somewhat advanced form of life. They didn't go down like bitches. Even when they knew they were goners, they were always collecting "data". As a matter of fact the last remaining pilot let the life form in the ship on purpose once communications went back up, on the chance they could send photographic proof back to earth of their discovery.

They did not play it as a tragic ending. If they had just disappeared without any proof of their discovery; that would have tragic and kind of dumb.

I also liked that they didn't compound the mistakes they made with additional mistakes. Every step they made was thought out. They kept their heads. They were generally as resourceful as they could have possibly been under fire, but they were just in over their heads from the beginning and they salvaged what they could out of the mission.

They were also aware, unlike every other space opera, action, alien flick, that this was not only a miraculous discovery, but possibly the most miraculous discovery and feat of human exploration in our history. What they did at the end, was not to save their own lives, but to preserve their legacy and their science back on Earth.

I'm not deflecting either. I was ready to hate the end (though endings are over-rated in my book), but I think they were going for a little something different then what everybody else was prepared to see, and obviously to hate about the movie.