Oprah kicks ass at the box office

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

The predictions were wrong and the underdog Oprah Winfrey drama 'Lee Daniel's The Butler' knocked out the superhero sequel 'Kick-Ass 2' and won the title at the box office championship this weekend. The civil rights era drama which tells the story of a black butler who served at the White House during quite a few presidential terms got unexpected free publicity when Warner Bros sued (and won) The Weinstein Company over the use of the title "The Butler' which Warner had secured the rights from a 1916 short. TWC had no choice but to change the title at the last minute to add the director's name 'Lee Daniels' to the title. At the end the legal battle did not hurt the film, but produced more awareness of the film among the public and it paid off with a solid $25 million debut. In the second place and holding very well is the Jennifer Aniston comedy 'We Are The Millers' which took $17.7 million for a two week total of $69 million. The film will easily pass the $100 million mark in the coming weeks. In the third spot last week's champ dropped 54% and took home $13.6 million for a now total of $55 million, way less than what 'District 09' did around the same time. The film will probably end its domestic run in or around $90 million. Bombing in the fourth spot "Kick-Ass 2' grossed much less than its predecessor opening three years ago. With an opening of $13.5 million and mostly negative reviews the comicbook sequel will recoup its investment, but will bring less profit than the first one...unless it does a 'Pacific Rim-like numbers at the foreign market. Planes continues underperforming and should go straight to DVD (where it belonged in the first place) in a couple of months. Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters or The sequel No One Was Asking For continues bleeding with $8.3 million for a two weeks total of $38 million. The $90 million sequel will not recoup its investment since the first one wasn't very popular either at the international market. The Ashton Kushner Steve Jobs biopic 'Jobs' was trashed by critics and ignored by most of moviegoers. It took the seventh spot with $7 million gross. Since it was so low budgeted ($12 million) it has a chance to recoup its investment if it can remain at theaters for the next few weeks. Not so much this week's other new release, Paranoia: not even the names of Harrison Ford and Gary Oldman were enough to persuade audiences that Liam Helmsworth is a movie star. The $37 million production couldn't even open in the top ten and crashed badly in the thirteen spot with $3.5 million which is one of the worst openings ever for a wide release film. No wonder Harrison Ford was very happy to sign for The Expendables 3 since this new bomb is not helping his resume these days.

In other news The Wolverine is running out of gas and will be closing its domestic run with the lowest numbers in the X-Men franchise in recent years. That said the film is doing great overseas and will most likely end its run as the most successful mutant film in the international market since it hasn't opened yet in the lucrative markets of Japan & China, but worldwide will match or barely surpass the global numbers of X-Men: First Class (X-Men: The Last Stand is still the most successful film in the franchise...until next year when X-Men: Days of Future Past is released). And finally, Anthony will be pleased to know that Pacific Rim, while a real turkey domestically (it hasn't even crack the $100 million mark yet), it has performed great overseas, mainly in China where the film is extremely popular and has grossed a cool $100 million and counting in that country alone, for a worldwide total of $384 million which means the film will not lose a penny of its $190 million budget and might show some profit to warrant a sequel...maybe with its plot set in Asia which is the real market for the Guillermo Del Toro robot vs monsters scifi epic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  2. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I watched kick ass, and while it's half as good as the first one, it's still a fun film that will make you laugh here and there. Percy Jackson should be a TV movie seriously.

3. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I thought the first Kick Ass was just okay. I haave no real intentions of watching the sequel.

4. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

Same

5. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    "the underdog Oprah Winfrey" :lol:

6. Panchyprsss

Complete the phrase, genius: 'the underdog Oprah Winfrey drama' referring to the movie she is in, not her.:kick:

7. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

I'll third that. And I'd like to really put the emphasis on the part where I thought the 1st Kick Ass was just okay. In fact, to say I thought it was okay is being kind. In actuality I thought Kick Ass was just...Ass.

8. Panchyprsss

The first one was really fun to watch. Particularly the Hit Girl scenes.

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xrbime"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrbime_hit-girl-fight-scene_shortfilms" target="_blank">Hit-Girl fight scene</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/Kebeckorps" target="_blank">Kebeckorps</a></i>

9. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    :lol: