Recent movies nutshell reviews

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

White House Down better than the critics were saying. While very predictable, is the best Die Hard-like movie I have seen in a while. Channing Tatum was really good, Jaimie Fox was not believable as president and the action ranges from the awesome to the just plain dumb. 7.7/10

Les Miserables Great cinematography, costumes & sets. Hugh Jackman awesome in this role. Anne Hathaway was overrated in her brief role and Russell Crowe sang like he had crows in his throat. 8/10

Rapturepalooza Trying to cash-in on the end=of-times comedies trend like This Is The End, this one joke film is plain awful. 2/10

After Earth if you saw the trailer, you saw the whole movie. Couldn't believe how lame and uninspiring this film is. It deserved to bomb even more than it did. 3/10

The Call The movie starts good, but by the end turns into a ridiculous movie cliché. Had they had the guts to keep Halle Berry at the 911 hive center and let the cops take care of the psycho it would have been an awesome film. By getting Berry's character go detective and face-off the bad guy it just ruined the earlier scenes credibility. Abigail Breslin's performance just saves the film.7/10

2. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Kick-Ass 2 Watchable for those who are not big fans of the first. It is okay, but apparently the director and writer had not make their minds what direction to take the film: will it be a superhero satire? will it be a 'Mean Girls' spoof? will it be 'R' rated or 'PG-13'? will Hit-Girl be the main character this time or not? the film suffers from this lack of good direction, but still Chloe Grace Moretz is so good at anything she does that her performance saves the film and Jim Carrey was good too for the brief time he was in. 6/10

Now You See Me I was pleasantly surprised by this one. Not only is very entertaining, but it has a smart plot and a solid direction by French director Louis Leterrier (The Incredible Hulk, Clash Of The Titans). It has a great pace, solid performances for this kind of summer film and good action. Not as predictable as I thought it will be even though the ending was kind of 'give me a F...break!' 8/10

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone The premise had potential, but it began to drag towards the middle part. Jim Carrey was awesome as the Chris Angel-like magician. Not bad, but not good. Just so-so. 6/10

Identity Thief Good comedy with predictable plot. The character of the fat lady that steals the identity of that poor guy deserved to be shot in the head. Truly despicable hateful character that later we are supposed to root for her (I'll say it would have been more satisfying to have her pay dearly for her crimes instead of the 'happy ending' we got). 7.5/10

3. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

THose were cool reviews. Here's a few of my own:

THE WOLVERINE - Not bad not memorable or worth seeing again. Certainly better than the previous Wolverine film but that isn't saying much. 5.5/10

- Very good film. In fact best film I've seen in a while. Lot's of cool moments good dialogue and very good performances. Good pacing, and character development as well. 7.5/10

The Secret Life of Bees - Hadn't heard of this one, thought it would be a cool drama that flew under the radar. It was okay but it also could have stayed in the never heard of section of my life too. 6/10.

Chasing Mavericks - Another pretty good drama about surfing. Not bad with the dialogue and pacing but there was a couple of issues that didn't get developed or explained enough with a couple of the characters. Still I thought it was decent. 6/10

Monsters Universit
    y - A complete disappointment. This one was "abort viewing" material but due to my love of the original I sat through the whole thing. You obviously knew what the outcome would be, it just wasn't totally fun or entertaining getting there. I think the story and secondary characters were very weak. The film seriously lacked the heart of the original which I think is a 10/10. This one not so much. 4.5/10

The Croods - I sat through about 45 minutes of this before I realized I could still salvage a few minutes of my life and sanity. So I aborted the viewing. Incomplete.

The Great Gatsby
    - This one was kind of weird for me. Although it was entertaining I'm not sure it was really worth sitting through. DiCaprio was great as usual though. Not a bad film but not really a good one either. 5.5/10

42 is the only one of these films I would sit through again.