Solomon Kane review

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

[​IMG]

Solomon Kane Let me start by pointing out that Solomon Kane is that kind of movie that you either love it or hate it. There is almost no middle ground. Based on the 1928 Robert E. Howard sword & sorcery stories, Solomon Kane is a character that has a long influence on films even before this one was made. Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter D & Hugh Jackman's 'Van Helsing' all copied Solomon Kane's look and style. But IMO it is this film the one that captures the spirit of the Howard stories better than any other film based on his other characters (like Conan or King Kull). The film has plenty of action, plenty of sorcery and satisfying character development within a cohesive narrative, something that most films in the fantasy genre lack. The less you know about the plot the better, even though there are certain parts that didn't work that well that I saw coming from a mile away it still didn't hurt the film that much. This is probably the most impressed I have been with any movie I watched this summer. Not a perfect film (the final battle was kinda of a letdown), but good enough to made me think of buying the Blu-ray for my collection. Some people didn't like the movie because they thought it was copying Vampire Hunter D or Van Helsing, but that only reflect their ignorance. This is a very good film and I enjoyed it a lot. 8.7/10

2. Panchyprsss

It is still sort of a mystery why this high quality 2009 film had only a limited release internationally and none in the USA. It took all these years until it finally was released here on DVD & Blu-ray. Had this film being released with good marketing it could had made tons of money and would had prompted a sequel which the movie ending leave the door wide open for. Like 'DREDD" this film deserves a sequel with the same actor as the lead since James Purefoy IS Solomon Kane.

3. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    The movie only scores a 6 on IMDB, which I find to be quite reliable.

4. TKO

TKO Administrator Staff Member

I have wanted to see this for awhile. Thanks for the reminder :bears:

5. Panchyprsss

That score is deceiving. Read the IMDB user reviews and you'll be surprised that the vast majority gave it glowing reviews versus a minority that gave it a ridiculous low score with lame drunk-like misleading reviews (a guy made his whole three sentences review comparing the movie to an Emo kid that had nothing to do with the film...some of those reviewers apparently didn't watch the film and there was one that watched only 20 minutes and gave it a poor review calling it boring, another wrongly thought it based on a videogame and crushed the film for not meeting the game standards...) The very low scores works as a minus against the excellent reviews thus the 6.0 score. Lets say for example that of 145 users a 100 think is a great film giving a '10', but then 45 users, just because they want to be pricks, give it a '1' score. And that is how IMDB comes with those score numbers.

Just watch the film and judge by yourself.

6. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    I quite liked it when it came out. Solid movie.

7. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    yeah you cant go by the IMDB reviews.

8. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Started to watch this 2 or 3 years ago when it had a much higher IMDB score, but decided against it. I'm still not interested.