The Hobbit 2: The Desolation of Smaug trailer

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Rainmaker, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    [video=youtube;xLgnkRxlKCg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLgnkRxlKCg[/video]

2. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Looks fun. :popcorn:

3. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Newest trailer looks epic!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5KQSLTldjFU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

The Lord of the Rings movie were excellent and true to the source.

The Hobbit movies are just money grabs, plain and simple.

TFK

5. Panchyprsss

The book The Hobbit begat The Lord of The Rings books which begat the Peter Jackson films. The studio was going to cash in by doing the Hobbit film adaptation. So if anyone was going to milk the Tolkien book (which has only 300 pages)I don't mind that Jackson is the one. From the early reviews, critics are saying this one is much better than the previous one.

6. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    That and the demand for the movie was ridiculous.

7. TFK

I'm ok with them making a movie of the Hobbit, although as a book the Hobbit pales in comparison to LOTR, but the way they stretched it out to make 3 movies, and filled it full of characters and storylines that aren't in the book makes it nothing more than a money grab.

TFK

8. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    Yeah, but if the people enjoy it, isnt that all that matters/

9. Panchyprsss

From the early preproduction stage (when Guillermo Del Toro was attached to direct) the plan was to make it into one big epic film, but then Del Toro and Jackson decided to make it into two films: one an adaptation of the 'The Hobbit' and the second an original film linking 'the Hobbit' with 'The Fellowship of the Rings'. While in production of the first one, New Line Cinema asked Jackson to make a trilogy instead to which Jackson agreed. So most likely the Hobbit story from the book might or might not end with 'The Desolation of Smaug' and the third one will be mostly a bridge story to LOTR films. Jackson stated that to be true to Tolkien he will incorporate elements from 'The Silmarillion'.

10. TFK

They always say the book is better than the movie. If they are doing the Silmarillion, I can only hope the movie is better than the book.

TFK

11. Panchyprsss

No, they will not do the Silmarillion. Jackson will be using a few concepts, ideas or references from that book, but the plot will not be based on that.

12. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    I just saw the first Hobbit movie this past week. Not on par with the LOTR movies, but better then I had expected.

Wasn't really anticipating going to see Part II at the movies but a couple of my young nephews are big Hobbit/LOTR fans, so we're taking them this weekend.

13. Rainmaker

Home Page:
    Just saw it. Best LOTR/Hobbit movie so far.

14. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

Rainmaker, you are continually being blown away by cultural events. The bar is always being set higher and higher at a perpetual rate. The 1990's must have seemed like utter horseshit to you.

15. Rainmaker

Home Page:
    I just enjoy life o noble one.

16. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

Good for you Rainmaker, Good for you. :bears:

17. Rainmaker

Home Page:
    The movie has made only $70 million in the first three days. Much lower than expected.

18. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Nice, fun movie. These are obviously a bit lighter in tone and more over the top with the CGI, then the LOTR movies were.

I'd say the biggest difference (and my biggest critique) between "The Lord Of The Rings" movies, and "The Hobbit" movies, is there is no consequence of action in The Hobbit movies.

The action scenes are impressive, but they are almost entirely computer generated and unrealistic, with the heroes always escaping nearly unscathed, every time, defying gravity AND an overwhelming enemy EVERY TIME.

LOTR, the action usually made logical sense and the CGI was generally blended into the background to the point you weren't aware it was CGI.................probably because they understood the limitations they had to work with. The individual character CGI is more impressive in The Hobbit, but they go completely overboard with the action sequences.

............and these motherfucking Orcs. They LOOK more impressive and menacing then ever before................but goddamn, their kill ratio is for shit. They LOOK like they could kill 15 Hobbits and Dwarves and whatever, in minutes without breaking a sweat. Unfortunately for them, they are the body-builders of Middle Earth. Impressive to look at, but put them in the Ring with a professional flyweight boxer, and they are nothing but lumbering mincemeat.

I admit this is a lot of nit-picking, maybe because I enjoyed LOTR so much. I still enjoyed these movies, just not as much.

7.5/10 combined for the two flicks so far.

As with the LOTR I think it's silly to rate them separately. When it comes down to it, it's all just one very long movie they make us wait 3 years to see the whole thing.

Whether it's true to the source material, It's been at least 30 years since I've read The Hobbit, so I don't give much of a fuck whether it is or not, or whether they had to pad the material to make a trilogy, just so long as it's entertaining.

19. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

In the infamous words of Roger Murtaugh, I'm too old for this shit.

20. Steve-Dingo

Steve-Dingo Wizard of Oz

:bears:

Just watched the fil-em and Ye've captured ma only gripe(s) aboot 'The Desolation o' Smaug' perfectly.

This is the problem wi' Jackson, he never quits whilst he's aheed... Ah cannae watch some o' the scenes in 'King Kong' because they start off exciting and then turn intae a computer bore fest. Ah just cannae put ma finger on it why Ah detest those Men of Dunharrow crawling o'er the Orcs like fluorescent green termites in ROTK and the running aboot scenes in the Goblin King's lair in the first Hobbit. Yet, Ah love the battle o' Helms Deep.

Ah respect Jackson fer the work he's done but Ah wouldae loved tae see Del Torro have a go, like.

21. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

Yep, same here. Forgot about the Men of Dunharrow scene. I loved Return of the King but hated that scene myself. Thought it was a cop-out.

22. Panchyprsss

[​IMG]
    The Hobitt: The Desolation of Smaug Like was the case with The Two Towers, the second chapter again proves to be more action packed and more interesting than the previous entry in The Hobbit trilogy. The biggest weakness of this one is that it ends abruptly, leaving a cliffhanger-like finale. While I enjoyed the whole elven sequence, the film suffers from a lack of logic and consistency from within its own cinematic lore. For example: it has been firmly established in the LOTR films and first Hobbit that elves and dwarves hate each other, but then we have she-elf Tauriel (LOST Evangeline Lily) inexplicably falling for a dwarf and risking her life and future among her own to protect same dwarf. But the biggest crime is Gandalf facing Sauron in battle in this prequel when in The Fellowship of The Ring he left the Shire and traveled far to read some ancient manuscripts to find out about the dark lord. Besides this and what has been pointed out about the gravity defiant action sequences, this is an entertaining film but far from the greatness of the previous trilogy.8/10

23. Steve-Dingo

Steve-Dingo Wizard of Oz

Be honest though, laddies - if Ye ever had the chance tae biff (shag) Evangaline Lilly, would Ye ask her tae keep her fake, elf ears on? Ah would! It'd be quite useful too, Ye could biff her Warg style and every time Ye were coming close tae the vinegar strokes, Ye could look at the back o' her ears and pretend she's 'Spock' - that'd halt yer porridge, like.

Nice review ba the way, panch - Ah dinnae mind the additions as Ye still have the books if Ye want it pure. The gravity defying CGI does bother me a wee mite, it reduces the watchability.

24. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

I always was a bit smitten with Ms. Lilly. I'd probably have her keep her ears on as I predicted she should play a lady elf in one of these movies in the first season of "Lost" I think. :bears:

25. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    i was pretty bored in a lot of this movie

there was hardly any action, and when there was it was ridiculous the number of times someone was a split second away from dieing but saved just in the knick of time...this was overdone badly....jackson did the exact same thing in King Kong

i also wish that they just stuck with the dragon story..all that crap with Gandalf going off on the side didn't work for me