The Tower review

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

[​IMG]

The Tower (2012) Korean disaster film obviously 'inspired' by "The Towering Inferno" which basically changes some of the characters and situations like many remakes do, but its main plot remain the same. The producers claim it is not a remake, but we know better. On Christmas eve the owner of the luxurious Sky Tower glass building in Seoul decides to treat its VIP guests with real snow at the upper level of the skyscraper via helicopters. One of them loses control due to strong winds and crashes inside the building and exploding causing a massive fire. The movie follows the exploits of the firefighters trying to rescue the people trapped inside the building. While the first 30 minutes is typical oriental humour which at times feels out-of-place in this kind of melodrama, the film has effective scenes of tension and the special effects are top notch rivaling anything that Hollywood can produce. The final scenes are eerily too reminiscent of 9-11. Comparing this film with the 1974 Academy Award nominee for Best Picture Towering Inferno I have to say that this one is better. It provides more entertainment per minute than the 70's film. Avoid watching it with subtitles since the translation done here is the worst I have ever seen in any recent foreign film. Get the dubbed version which is less confusing and well done. 8/10

2. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    IMO never watch a movie dubbed. There is no point. You are watching a movie for acting. and you are going to get your acting from some voice actor you never heard of.

3. Panchyprsss

Believe me: in this one unless you understand Korean language is better to go with the dubbed version. The subtitles made no sense at all. Example: a firefighter talking to his captain, "Head, fire dangerous some people put lives." Captain's answer, "Water bomb wall tower!"

4. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Where did you get the movie from?

5. Panchyprsss

some online stream, but the image & sound was really good, Blu-ray quality.

6. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Well there is your answer. Its most likely a pirated stream, which often uses bullshit subs made in about 5 minutes. Get the legal copy and the professional subs and you wont have that problem.

7. Panchyprsss

What for? I already watched the film and thought it was very good, even with bad subtitles included.

8. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I'm talking about the future

9. Panchyprsss

If I can get it free online and good quality, no thank you. If I love the film, I'll buy it.