3rd 100-Day Challenge...The end of freedom...

Discussion in 'Training & Conditioning' started by Buddy Rydell, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    Well, I have a kid on the way and I'm 179-180. I think that I could get close to 160 with a third challenge, and that's where I think I should be.

Technically Today is 207 as I have done 206 days and seen my bodyweight drop 43-45lbs. It's cardio twice a day and if I hit 160 by the end of this challenge, I get myself a rock-climbing gym membership. That would be amazing.

2. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    why can't you get a rock climbing gym membership right now?

3. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    I'm about 180. I'll treat myself if I get to 160. I'm still too heavy in my opinion. I'll lose a bit of muscle, but I'll be down to about 10-12% bodyfat. I could get one now, but I'm trying to motivate myself to lose the last 18-20lbs.

4. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    And I just want to keep myself motivated through the holidays so I don't eat too much holiday crap. You can gain a lot of weight over the holidays if you're not careful---but I mainly just want to stay focused. Even if I don't quite make the weight over the next three months. I'll be pretty close and it'll be that much easier to lose the last little bit. The membership is just the icing on the cake, metaphorically speaking.

5. Roll With The Punches

Home Page:

:dunno:
    it's really mostly technique and grip
    i used to do loads of climbing and some amazing climbers at the gym included: a midget, a guy with one leg (the other a fake metallic leg), chicks who couldn't do a fraction of a chin up

6. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Day 212: Playing baseball for 3 hours, so no noon cardio. I will be running tonight.

RWTP, the grip will be one of the big things I get out of it. Another will be the full-body stamina. I imagine those people you listed were quite light---especially the poor dude with one leg. I can't think of many 200lb midgets (I know, I know---besides me), and the chick you listed was probably light as well.

Still, it'll be something my son and I can do together, and I know that he'll love it and love watching me do it.

7. Roll With The Punches

Home Page:
    yeh no one who weighs 180 can ever climb :nutty:

8. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    I didn't say that at all---not even close, RWTP. My point is that it is more helpful for me to be lighter than to be heavier when it comes to rockclimbing---to a point, and this is because I think my frame will do better climbing at a bodyweight of 160 than a bodyweight of 180. I think I will have more stamina at 160 than 180. I'm not arguing with you, but it seems like you're trying to get one going.:lol:

9. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

Great work Buddy!
    I've been working my tail off as well but aside from you I don't think anyone else trains or assumes that anyone that does is lying so I haven't shade much :)

10. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Get over yourself...

11. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Yeah, there's not much desire to talk about it here unfortunately. The most frequent contributors other than yourself have been BOSS (employee) and steve_dave (susie_newsie), tossing insults my way.

In fact, employee tried to drive me away, which is why I began smacktalking him. If he didn't start up with me, I wouldn't have started up with him. It's too bad he doesn't want to talk about training.

Even his most recent post makes no sense. I posted my kid would love watching me do rockclimbing. Kids love watching their parents do stuff. Period.

Any parent whose kids love them knows that their kids look up to them and love seeing their parents do exciting stuff. Focusing on health and fitness means I'll be around longer for my family, but health and fitness are not popular topics here.:dunno:

12. Roll With The Punches

Home Page:
    you have a real losers mentality about this rock climbing thing, Buddy

you should go get a membership right now

13. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    DAYUM, RWTP, was it something I said? Ouch, a bit harsh, innit?

Nah, I have two gym memberships right now. One near my work and one near my house, so that's about all I have time for. I might drop one and get a rock-climbing membership after my challenge or whenever I get down to 160, but I'm pretty sure I'll need to drop one of the gym memberships. The one gym has some climbing stuff, so I'll get good at that before I commit to another place. The only place I know in Ottawa is right downtown, so I'll probably only be able to do it on weekends after my second kid is born.

14. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Stop lying fatso.

15. LOK

Buddy, I got a crossfit class tomorrow..

16. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

wrong forum... :scared2:

17. LOK

You lick cocks

18. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Day 223, LOK. I'm still around 180, but I've been thinking about what RWTP said. Maybe I should just go rockclimbing and have fun. I'm still going to stay focused, so why not? I've been doing cardio at lunch and running after work. Getting closer to doing a one-armed chinup as well. Living life, having fun---I'm not around here as much anymore.

19. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Can you be around even less? Please? For me? For all of us?

20. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Boss, this makes me want to be around even more. That's what you're doing, right? Reverse Psychology? Thanks man.

BTW, Roll With The Punches was right. Rockclimbing is a blast. I tried out a gym today for the first time. It was fantastic. LOK, you would have been proud, brother.

21. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Day 225: Hey LOK, did you see those pictures of me at the rockclimbing gym on my FB profile? I'm going to get more of the rockclimbing in this weekend.

RWTP was right. It's pretty fun to rockclimb, but there's a lot of other obstacle walls that are pretty cool as well. I was 175lbs yesterday. It's the first time in 18 years that I have been regularly below 180. I think I can make 155-160 and stabilize the weight there for the year. That's the next challenge after this one: staying the same weight, give or take 5lbs. I'm also training to get a one-armed chinup.

22. Roll With The Punches

Home Page:
    :bears: i used to climb once a week and kept that up for a couple of years

i gotta get back into it

23. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    If the young lad wasn't sick, we would have gone again this weekend. You were totally right, RWTP. We're definitely going back next weekend.

A couple of years, eh? You must have really decent grip strength. My forearms and hands are killing me from all the one-grip chins and rope-climbing I did this weekend to prep for rock-climbing.

24. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Day 241: I'm 176, and I feel like I can drop another 5lbs easy. I think I might look a bit too skinny at 160-165, but I can add back muscle later. I'm only 11lbs from my target weight, but I want to make sure that I take it off slowly enough that I just keep the muscle and don't rebound. I've relaxed my eating habits and started eating a bit more junk because I think I was a bit too strict before. Still, I'm light enough to have plenty of stamina when I'm climbing, and I'm hitting heavy weights again.

LOK, do you or anyone else here do archer pullups? They're quite hard but they're a good step on the road to doing a one-arm chinup.

25. LOK

Buddy..great work
    You can really tell in your pictures too!
    I've been working on a one arm too...I using these bands to assist I'm getting there and as I get lighter it's helping

26. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Thank you, LOKmeister. As long as someone who knows me can see the pics, I won't be bothered much by someone trying to stir crap.

I thought of getting those bands that you can stand on to decrease your weight slightly and see if I can get some one-arm chins that way. I might pick one or two up this weekend. Good call.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  27. LOK

They are awesome

I got them for my wife, but I use them for one arms and also muscle up assistance

You are doing great Buddy..Buddha be praised

28. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Day 245: It's become a matter of 2 steps forward, 1 step back. I lose the fat, but in working out, the muscle pushes the scale up a bit. I'm fine-tuning my eating habits. Apparently Tim Ferriss' notion of spiking insulin for one day is counter to what bodybuilders do. He has a cheat day whereas they tend to have one cheat meal---perhaps once a month. I think Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle is my next book for getting the bodyfat percentage down lower. I'm just below 20%, but I'm positive I can go lower.

29. Steve-Dingo

Steve-Dingo Wizard of Oz

:bears:

They are really useful fer pull-ups, I used them fer a wee while. Another helpful aid is the coonter weight resistance machine in the gym fer pull-ups (Ah know Ye're not in the gym, Buddy) wi' this Ah quickly progressed tae proper controlled pull-ups and ma lats are like a shield o' steel.

30. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Today is Day 248, for the record.

They do have a counterweight resistance machine for chins at one of the two gyms I go to, Billeh. You have to kneel on a pad, but I want to emulate standing one-arm chins as much as possible. I might go back and retry the one at our gym, but the handgrips aren't right overhead. I think they are set a bit out to the sides, which makes it really hard on your shoulder and particularly your rotator cuff. I did chins with a weight belt and chain to hang the weights off of, and I was able to get a rep with 80lbs (a 45lb plate and a 35lb plate). The combined weight was 265lbs (I weighed 185 yesterday before I went for my usual jog and sweated down to 181).

So theoretically, with both arms being equal, I could chin 130lbs or so with one arm, but I find when I do archer pullups, I put very little into the supporting arm. I think it has something to do with body momentum, kipping a bit, and pulling with all the muscles in your body even though it is only one arm that is pulling you up while the other is held straight to make sure you don't stay stuck at the bottom of the rep.

I dunno. I can hang easily from one arm off the chinup bar now, which means my grip has improved. I'm even getting better at the archer pullups. It's a work in progress, but at least I'm developing the grip to rockclimb comfortably. I want that one-arm chinup though. It'd be quite nice.

The next step, along with the archer chinups, is to just statically hold myself at the top of the one-arm chinup position with just the one hand touching the bar. I can do chinups with one hand on one side and one finger on the other, but perhaps I need to incorporate a towel for the supporting hand so that I can do assisted one-arm chins along with the archer pullups.

And I'm rockclimbing with my son on Saturday, so I'll get photos of some of the neat climbing walls. One wall is all doorknobs, another is all short ropes. This gym, L'Altitude, has quite a lot of neat stuff to climb.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013