The Iceman review

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

[​IMG]
    The Iceman Sometimes you watch a movie trailer that looks great and when you finally watch the film you feel cheated. This is not one of those. This one is actually better than the expectations. Michael Shannon dominates the screen in an Oscar worthy performance as Polack Kuklinski aka the Iceman who reportedly killed over a 100 people during his career as a mobster hitman. His beloved wife (Wynona Ryder) is completely clueless about his real job and to his two daughters he is just a great loving dad, but in reality he is a cold blooded murderer. Ray Liotta plays mobster Roy who initiates Polack in the hitman business. Liotta's character is no different from the dozen of similar characters he has played in the past. I couldn't recognize Chris Evans as the Ice cream hitman which wasn't only because of the beard and long hair, but because he delivered a solid performance. This guy has more acting chops than playing superhero roles. But it is Michael Shannon the real treat of this excellent film. While most of the time he shows no emotion, the glimpse in his eyes, the tiny smirk on the corner of his mouth tells volumes about how this character is capable of the cruelest execution just because you piss him with a comment. The ending was a little forced and rushed which hurt a bit the way this movie was going. Recommended. 9/10

2. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    It was excellent. I watched all of Kuklinski's interviews years ago so I couldn't wait for this one and it delivered. The ending did feel abrupt, but I think they did it that way because he was caught out of nowhere (from Kuklinski's POV)

3. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I always wanted James Gandolfini to play that role. Too late now.

4. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

It's funny the "loving husband" thing when he used to beat her up constantly and almost killed her a couple of times.

5. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    i rented this yesterday, will watch tonight. I heard mixed things about it.

6. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    started good then got boring

its still ok though

7. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    how come the iceman kept letting this kid get away with calling him a douchebag the whole movie :dunno:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6JbyXC173l4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Panchyprsss

that was because he was waiting until Kal-El will surrender. Then he will destroy the whole sector of the city where this kid lived in.

9. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Panchy the guy's name was Richard Kuklinski, not Polack. They called him Polack because he was of Polish extraction.

This movie was good but not great, not a 9/10 for me. The acting was great and it had some great scenes, but the pacing was pretty bad. like RWTP saod it got kind of boring after the first 20 or so minutes, but it picked up again in the latter part. I give it a 6.5 or 7, about the same level as Kill The Irishman.

10. Panchyprsss

Keep in mind that movie viewing enjoyment is very partial to each individual. For example many critics and audience members are raving about Gravity as one of the Best Movies ever made in the scifi space genre or at least best movie of the year to which many other people think is overly hyped. I think The Iceman is a great film mainly because Michael Shannon makes the movie work with his magnificent performance. It is not a perfect film though, but I stand by my score.