Crazy Joe review

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

[​IMG]
    Crazy Joe This 1974 Italian mobster film was one of those films that were released during the wake of the Mafia films after The Godfather became a boxoffice and cultural phenomenon. For some reason I missed this film (maybe it was watching this or a re-release of Enter the Dragon) which I did wanted to watch at the time. I finally watched this on Crackle. It has aged bad, meaning I could have enjoyed this film a lot as a teen in 1974, but by today's standards is lame. Based on the true story of Joseph Gallo rise & fall as a New York mobster, Peter Boyle as the title character delivers a over-the-top performance as he chews scenery with delight in some embarrassing sequences. Rip Thorn is okay here, Eli Wallach is great as the Don and Fred Williamson is just your required Blaxploitation star in a very small role. The film at times looks is heading to greatness only to misfire in the next sequence. Promising plot, but not a very good movie. 4.5/10