The Dallas Buyers Club

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

[​IMG]
    The Dallas Buyers Club This critics darling has 'Academy Awards' written all over it. Lets check it out: main actors lost a LOT of weight to portray roles: check. Its theme is about a controversial subject: check. It has 'disease' or 'impairment' at the core of the plot: check. It is anti-establishment denouncing a great injustice: check. Has the blessing of the Left wing liberal Hollywood gay mafia controlled media: check. While it is a good film and its two main stars deliver the best performances of their careers, the film is way too depressing for the most part and too 'preachy' about the evil practice of the government during the Reagan years when the HIV virus first came to the public eye. If Matthew McConaughey doesn't get the Best Actor Oscar then a greater injustice would have been done. I wanted Leonardo DiCaprio to win the Oscar, but McCounaughey just makes you forget Leo's performance. Excellent performance by Jared Leto too. Good film to watch once. 8/10

2. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Has McGonoughy got AIDS for real?
    The guy just looks fucked-up and thin all the time now... :dunno:

3. Panchyprsss

Yeah, I think is more of a case of anorexia nervosa. He needs help. I remember Dennis Quaid admitting having struggling with anorexia after he completed Wyatt Earp for which he lost a lot of weight to portray Doc Holiday. But Quaid did sought treatment while McConaughey apparently hasn't yet.

4. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

I was kinda excited to see this, watched it las night and kinda wished I watched bad grandpa instead..
    It was ok but nothing great

5. Panchyprsss

It has great performances by McConaughey & Leto, but the film has not much replay value by itself.

6. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Maybe I was too quick to judge: he was on a UK chat-show last week and he looked fine.

7. Panchyprsss

Good to hear that. It probably took him longer than Christian Bale who went from skeleton like for 'The Machinist' to buffed Batman Begis in a span of months. Amazing!

[​IMG]

8. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

agreed, but one of those cases where the actors are good and all.. but i just don't really care about watching someone with aids slowly die
    i guess just not my kind of subject matter

9. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cC6mv0KhOBY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Watched this last night. Loved it. 8/10.
    Fucking great acting: Matthew McConaughy and Jared Leto are awesome in this.
    Best Actor / Best Supporting Actor Oscars to these guys tonight, surely...

10. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

I think everyone in the world is overrating that performance by Di Caprio. Was the Wolf Of Wall Street a great film? I'd say it was ok. Was it Leo's best performance? Maybe, there were certain scenes he did great in. Did Leo give an Oscar worthy performance? No, not in my eyes. He did an average decent performance just like he always does. There is something about Di Caprio, but I just can't ever seem him going beyond being anything other than a solid actor. Every movie that I've seen him in that was great had more to do with the writing or directing then it had to do with his performance.

11. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    :like:

And I'll also post on cdogg's behalf: :like:

12. Panchyprsss

DiCaprio can be a chameleon if given the right role (like when he played the retarded boy in 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape'). The problem is that he is such a huge star and heartthrob that the Studio suits don't offer him those challenging roles anymore.

13. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Just Saw This as Well...

REED Thought McConahey Was just a Good Ol' Pretty Boy w/an Accent & a Smile, but he Proved REED WRONG...REED Thought Dude was just a FACE, but this was the PERFECT Vehicle to Illustrate he's MORE than That...

A GOOD, Not Great Movie...As Panchy Said, Not Much Rewatchability Either...But REED's GLAD he Saw It...

If Indeed it was Based Off a True Story, REED Admires the DETERMINATION & the HUSTLE of the Guy McConahey Portrayed...McConahey CARRIED the Film Though...Leto Held his Own, but for the 1st Time Ever, REED FORGOT he was Watching Matthew McConahey...He Got LOST in his Character...

REED:clapagain:

14. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Also, REED Works in 1 of the Buildings on the Movie Poster....

REED:hammert:

15. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Yeah Bale is insane... he almost got as thin as for the machinist for rescue dawn and blew up for American hustle. Getting ripped for batman or other films is also no problem. All seemingly within months.

16. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    Watch true detective, mud and killer joe

17. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    yea i thought mud was excellent.

18. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

There's more PED's in Hollywood then there are in sports.

TFK

19. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

yeah guess I can't argue with that - it still can't be healthy the way he does it.