Jodorowsky's Dune trailer

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

This is THE Documentary I want to watch this year about the ill fated Dune version that never was that could have been one the greatest epics put on film. Sadly it never happened, but we can watch how it could have been. David Lynch's version was a timid adaptation in comparison.

<iframe width="624" height="351" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" allowtransparency="true" src="http://movies.yahoo.com/video/jodorowskys-dune-trailer-202028118.html?format=embed&player_autoplay=false"></iframe>

2. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

'Dune' :boring:

3. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Amen

4. Panchyprsss

That applies to the David Lynch version. The book is a scifi classic.

5. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    The book was fucking amazing to me, when I read it as a kid.

You could only be disappointed with the Lynch version, but I think he did what he could, with what he had to work with..........and this is coming from somebody who is NOT a fan of Lynch movies.

I don't see how Jodorowsky could have done any better, 8 years earlier with a budget that had been partially wiped out before production was to even begin on it. It was far too early to even attempt this type of subject matter, unless it was a straight up animated film.

It's one of the few films I'd like to see re-made, with a big budget and a competant director, possibly in an R rated format. Don't think it will ever happen though. Hollywood doesn't have the balls, and the budget would be too big to make it outside the Hollywood Studio system.

I think the subject matter is also way too dark to be financially successful, unless they changed the source material into something unrecognizable. Like "BladeRunner", it might gain a cult following later on, but would not be a viable money maker for the studios at the time it was released.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  6. Panchyprsss

Jodorowsky's Dune was going to be a not-very=faithful adaptation. It was going to have so many images full of heavy symbolism, like a Salvador Dali moving painting, very surreal. It was going to be El Topo in Outer Space on LSD! But, hey, The Who's Tommy by Ken Russell achieved successfully that level of insanity on 1975, why not this film on a bigger budget?

7. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

Nobody's going to pay to make something like that. There would be virtually zero chance of getting their money back on it.

8. Panchyprsss

In 1975 this would have been a hit. Psychedelic trippy films Tommy, JesusChrist Superstar and Godspell were successful. Every body was high in the 70's. This was going to be the ultimate trip.

9. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

I'm glad they didn't make it then. Would have been far more of a travesty then the Lynch version.

10. Panchyprsss

Have you ever watched 'El Topo'? It was going to be something like that.