House of Cards

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Haymaker, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Anyone watching or watched this? It's brilliant and Kevin Spacey is just amazing. Can't wait for next season.

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Best show I've ever seen. To me, it blows away shows that people swoon over like Breaking Bad, and Dexter.

Agreed. Can't wait for Season 3.

3. Haymaker

Some unexpected shit in the 2nd season, especially the first episode. That scene left me in shock, if you know what I'm talking about. Frank Underwood is a ruthless SOB.

4. Xplosive

Yeah, I didn't see that coming either. Nobody did. Can't say I was too upset about it. Zoey Barnes was an annoying bitch. Although, a sexy annoying bitch.

Underwood is indeed ruthless, but he's probably the most likable villain any show has seen. One villain who's NOT likable in that show is that piece of shit Raymond Tusk. Hopefully something very bad happens to him in Season 3.

5. Haymaker

Yeah, Tusk is a cunt. I also kind of dislike Remy Danton, but he still has a humane side so he's not as rotten as Tusk and Frank. Too bad what happened to Doug. I liked the character and what happened at the end is gonna shake things up next season.

6. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Kate Mara is committed to the new Fantastic Four reboot. I liked the first season better, but the season 2 finale was awesome so I'll keep watching.

7. Haymaker

Kate Mara is 31 yrs old, she looks like 21. :hump:

8. Xplosive

I had a feeling something was gonna happen to Doug. You could see him spiraling down.

Overall though, the show would be just "good" withoutb Spacey. Spacey is responsible for SUCCHHHH a huge part of the show being epic. Honestly, I'd say it's the best acting of Spacey's career, and perhaps the best acting ever in a series.

9. Haymaker

No doubt.

[​IMG]

10. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

The highlighted portion, and the fact that I really like Kevin Spacey just influenced me to download season 1.

11. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Never seen it....co-workers love season 1...they say the beginning of season 2 was crappy...but by episode 4-5 it pick up again....

I'll probably start watching the series sometime later next week....

12. lb 4 lb

No, you start now, with me. We'll do it together.

13. Panchyprsss

Is good, but not 'Breaking Bad' or 'Game of Thrones' good.

14. lb 4 lb

Never did watch the Breaking Bad. Maybe I should start that one first.

15. Xplosive

Breaking Bad is overrated. I just started Game of Thrones, and I'd say that's easily better than Breaking Bad. But not QUITE as good as House of Cards, IMO.

But both series shit on Breaking Bad. Dexter shits on Breaking Bad as well.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  16. Xplosive

Yes, watch it. Also watch the first few seasons of Breaking Bad. And afterwards, tell me which one you like more. I have a feeling you'll agree with me that HOC is better.

17. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Wouldn't go for best show ever but definitely great. I like Hannibal in season 2 slightly better. Best acting from Spacey is also a bit far-fetched, since he has done so many great stuff already. What some may hold as criticism against him ( I don't) is that he is Jack Nicholsoning a little bit. He's being that smooth intelligent smart-ass more often than not including this show. Of course the Underwood character has more to it, but I canot see him playing an uneloquent loser role for example.

Also this show needs better antagonists. His way to the top is FAAAAR too easy. And the idea that you can just toy with the President like that is a bit silly. You would expect a guy of that magnitude to be at least reasonable competitive.

18. lb 4 lb

I don't know if I'll agree with you. So far you're opinions compared with mine are all over the place. I know without even seeing House of Cards that there is no way in hell it'll be better than Game of Thrones (to me). Also you like Dexter and that was a series I just couldn't get into.

In your opinion where does The Wire fall in with these series if you've seen it?

19. Xplosive

It all depends on what your "thing" is. To me, a show like Game of Thrones could never interest me as much as House of Cards, but if you feel the opposite, that's fine.

As for Dexter, for some reason I stopped watching it in Season 3. I have SERIOUS ADD when it comes to series. But the first two seasons were great, and I certainly rank it above Breaking Bad.

Same with The Wire. Followed the early seasons, and they were great.

But House of Cards is the first series that has FULLY commanded my attention. Spacey's character, Frank Underwood, makes it IMPOSSIBLE not to be addicted to it.

20. Xplosive

Whilst we're on the topic of shows, am I the only one who followed Magic City? It was a GREAT show, and they fucking end it after 2 Seasons. I was highly upset at that.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  21. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I guess I dunno what my thing even is. I get so easily addicted to series, like it's crack cocaine. I LOVE house of cards don't get me wrong it's awesome and I needed three or four days for the season. But Breaking Bad, Dexter, The Wire, Hannibal, Justified GoT or Lost got me hooked just as good with maybe some little differences.

Also I think I am a little more into the story than the character. I just wanna know what happens next and I find a lot of other characters intriguing (Claire, Doug). Hell I think I have never seen the loyal guy - intelligent version - Doug or unitlligent version with nothing worth talking about in his own life - Meechum been portrayed that well before.

Why did you stop Dexter?

22. Panchyprsss

Because no one was watching it, except maybe you and its producers.

23. lb 4 lb

Yeah I think a strong indicator of me liking a show is great characters and great dialogue. Both The Wire and GoT have these big time. And in House MD, the House character was such a strong powerful character that I watched all 8 seasons of that show even though none of the other characters were that strong and even though every fucking episode of every fucking season pretty much followed the same formula.

I mean House MD was kind of funny that every time they'd go through multiple diagnostic attempts before finding the cure. I thought can't there be one time where they get the diagnosis right on the first attempt or second attempt? Hell, then they could just have an additional medical issue on the same show, but for fucks sake can he get 1 right the first time? Once? Nobody in production ever seemed to think of shaking things up it seems, short of doing things like running the show in reverse, yet still keeping that same formula.

24. lb 4 lb

Shit. Fucking thing is taking forever to download.

25. Xplosive

Yeah, House got pretty shitty, repetitive, and predictable after awhile. The first few seasons were VERY good, and entertaining though, but it just blew it's load and eventually became a mediocre show.

26. lb 4 lb

JUST finished the first episode. Verdict?

I likee.

27. Haymaker

It gets better. Let us know when you finish the first season and what's your opinion.

28. lb 4 lb

What's my opinion? I was sitting there watching the episode with a shit eating grin on my face the whole time, just happy to have a new series worth sitting through that seems to have so much of what I like in a good show. If it gets better can't imagine anything other than a highly positive review.

One thing I didn't like about the first episode was I thought it was kind of thin how he wound up hooking up with the chick from the newspaper. That seemed a bit far fetched and too big of a coincidence, but that's like a super tiny complaint. Didn't affect the show at all.

29. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Season 4 was okay.....B+..

30. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

A good show but not a rewatchable one for me. The Shield was way better IMO.

BTW Thoroughly enjoyed HoC. It's an excellent show. Apparently a remake of an old British series.