Noah sails to the top of Mount Box Office

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

To no one's surprise, Darren Aronosfky's NOAH debuted ay the #1 spot of the box office with $44 million. The controversial film loosely based on the Old Testament tale might have a hard time making a bigger impact at the theaters box office since this week will see the tough competition from the long anticipated Marvel film Captain America: The Winter Soldier and the fact that Cinemascore audiences are grading it with a terrible 'C' score. What's more is that the film has failed to lure the core of movie ticket buyers since 74% of its audience was over the age of 25, which means teenagers and young adults probably are passing on this one. What I found perplexing is that some box office analysts are calling this weak $44 million debut a 'solid' one when it will have a hard time earning back its $125 million domestically. I mean, those same critics called 300: Rise of An Empire $45.3 million debut 'disappointing' for its $110 million budget. Are we using some strange logic here? Sure, NOAH will do a killing in the international market and will earn back its investment plus some profit. On the second spot Divergent added $26.5 million to its bank account for a 2 weeks total of $95 million. While it is not doing 'Hunger Games' business like its studio was expecting, these are solid numbers that will encourage its makers to go along with a sequel since this one cost only $85 million to produce and still has not opened in other countries where most of its profit is expected. The Muppets Most Wanted took the third spot with $11.3 million for a two week total of $33 million. Mr Peabody & Sherman takes the fourth spot with $9.5 million for a total of $94.9 domestically. The FOX animated film has grossed now $218 million worldwide. Holding firmly in the fifth place the surprise hit of the month God is Not Dead added $9 million to its earnings for a two week total 0f $22 million, which is impressive for a low budgeted Faith based film that got little to none advertising (sending again another message to Hollywood that Christians wants to see more faith based films without diluting its message in favor of broad appeal). Bombing miserably at the sixth spot is Arnold Schwarzenegger's Sabotage with $5.3 million marking the worst debut ever for a Governator film and probably the last film he will star unless is a direct to dvd affair.

[​IMG]

2. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Noah is a controversial film?

3. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Yeah, didn't you hear? Apparently they had to reedit it because the bible thumpers were upset this fictional movie strayed so far from the biblical path.

I'll bet both Stallone and Arnold are dumbfounded by their inability to recapture their box office success. If you think about it it's a pretty simple explanation. Fact is there's a whole new generation out there now that don't really know much about Stallone and Arnold's movies. All of their old fans have grown up gotten families and much like me probably moved on from that type of genre.

Oh yeah, it also hurts that both guys are fossils now.

4. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Check the NOAH trailer thread where this was explained and discussed at length.