Gus injured, Jon Jones to defend against......

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by TFK, Jul 24, 2014.

1. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

http://www.ufc.com/news/Jones-Gusta...78&utm_source=15600&utm_medium=Facebook:+UFC&

The long-awaited rematch between UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson, scheduled for UFC 178 in Las Vegas on September 27, has been postponed after the Swede suffered an injury in training this week. Although there are scores of hungry challengers waiting for a crack at Jones’ crown, few can rival Daniel Cormier's burning desire to topple the champ at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

And now that matchup is set. UFC officials made the announcement of the main event switch to Jones vs. Cormier on Wednesday.

The unbeaten Cormier, a two-time Olympic wrestler and former heavyweight contender, has long had his sights set on Jones, with his move to 205 pounds in 2014 predicated on a shot at his longtime rival. Since his move, the 35-year-old Louisiana native has stopped Patrick Cummins and Dan Henderson, and following his submission of “Hendo” in May, he made no secret of his desire to meet his fellow wrestler as soon as possible.

“Jon Jones, you can’t run away from me forever,” he told commentator Joe Rogan in the Octagon. “I’m the kid at the wrestling tournament that is always in your bracket. No matter where you go, I’m coming. You better hurry because I’m getting better.”

The 27-year-old Jones, champion since 2011, has made a record-setting seven successful title defenses at 205 pounds, with wins over former champions Quinton Jackson, Lyoto Machida, Rashad Evans, and Vitor Belfort.

In his most recent bout, Jones decisioned Glover Teixeira at UFC 172 in April, and while the plan was for Jones to meet Gustafsson in a rematch of their classic 2013 bout, the champion expressed his desire to fight Cormier first, even before the contracts were signed.

Some fans weren’t happy with that declaration, and Jones took his case to Instagram, saying “Asking for an undefeated Olympic wrestler, Strikeforce champion makes me somehow a coward?”

But after Gustafsson’s unfortunate injury and subsequent removal from the UFC 178 card, both Jones and Cormier will get the fight they wanted all along, and the fans get a fitting main event for a stacked card that also features Irish star Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier, the return of Dominick Cruz vs. Takeya Mizugaki, the middleweight showdown between Tim Kennedy and Yoel Romero, and Cat Zingano’s comeback bout against Amanda Nunes.

TFK

2. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Not for nothing, but that's a great card.

3. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    i'd love to see cormier win.

4. who?

who? Undisputed Champion

disappointed was looking forward to the rematch

5. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    he will

6. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Pretty convenient.

Just as I wasn't overly surprised when Gus did so well against Jones, I won't be if Cormier does well or even wins.

I'd rate them Jones, Cormier, and then Gus, but I think Cormier matches up better against the less-flashy, less physically strong Gus and Gus matches up better against Jones because of his height and length.

Great replacement fight, imo.

7. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

At least it's a new fight, and a fairly interesting one. But yeah Gus does seem to match up with Jones extremely well, partly down to pure size.

8. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

I think Cormier offers a question (can he take Jones down) whereas Gus offers a great fight.

If Cormier can't successfully land the double leg from range, Jones will beat him easily. I don't see Cormier winning in the clinch or at kickboxing at range.

On the other hand, Gustaffson's range makes him the most difficult possible opponent for Jones. He has also developed his wrestling to the point that he isn't easy to take down anymore. Phil Davis sucks as a fighter but he's helped Gus tremendously with his defensive wrestling.

9. Anthony

Motherfucker
    If gus can take Jones down, Cromier can. I also think Cromier will do well in the standup game. if slow ass Teixeira can land on Jones, Cromier will able to too.

10. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Gustaffson took Jobes down because his reach didn't allow Bones to dictate range. Cormier doesn't have that luxury.

You could easily say that Bader and Rashad couldn't take Jones down so neither will Cormier.

And weren't you the guy touting Texeira as a huge threat? No he's a "slow ass".

LMAO

11. Anthony

Motherfucker
    You dont have to be quick to be a threat. As you saw, Tex landed some shots on Jones.

BTW, to compare rashad and bader's wrestling to Cromier's is ridiculous.

12. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

This is a great fight. I think Cormier is a much bigger threat to Jones than Gus, or anyone else in the division is.

TFK

13. Anthony

Motherfucker
    no doubt. The only thing that is bothering me is cromier's knees. doesnt he need surgery?

14. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Yeah, if you read my post, the wrestling comparison is about Gustaffson having success with less wrestling skill than Cormier, Bader or Evans because of his range.

Unlike most fighters, Gustaffson's size and reach do not allow Jones to dictate the distance at which the fight takes place.

Sure Cormier's wrestling is the best in the division, but if he is forced to fight at Jon's range, his wrestling will be diminished.

That is exactly why good wrestlers like Bader and Evans had ZERO success.

To me, this won't be a good fight compared to Gustaffson. Either Jones dominates standing or Cormier dominates via wrestling.

15. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

I don't see Cormier doing well at all. I think Jones dominates him. I think the height and reach disadvantage will be too much and Jones is just too skilled.

16. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Tex Landed Shots Because Jones WALKED him Down & STAYED on his Chest...

Jones Administered a Physical AND Mental Asswhipping that Night & Fighting Texiera @ CLOSE Range, Shaking Off his BEST Shots, was Part of that...

If the Incoming is Tooooo Much, Jones has the RANGE, FOOTWORK & ATHLETICISM to Move Away & Buy Time to Clear his Head...

REED:hammert:

17. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

And Jones just flat out has a great chin. He's been tagged by some hard, sharp punchers and never really been hurt.

18. Anthony

Motherfucker
    And cromier has the ability to pick jones up and throw him around like a ragdoll.

19. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

& KNOWING that, Jones has the HEIGHT & RANGE to Keep Cormier @ BAY...

YOUR Point, in Response to Trplsec's Belief that Jones is Toooooooooo RANGY for Cormier, was "Slow Texiera was Able to HIT Jones"...Well, That's BECAUSE Jones Made a CONCERTED Effort to Stay CLOSE to Him...

REED's Point is, the Texiera Bout has NOfuckingBEARING AT ALL, on Cormier's Ability to HIT Jon Jones, Based on the RANGE Jones Was Willing to ENGAGE Texiera @...

REED:hammert:

20. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Why would he stay close to tex and not close to Cromier? Tex is dangerous as hell on the ground. Jones doesnt really follow traditional game plans. He is a spontaneous fighter. I think he will try everything. Jones is the type of fighter that when you tell him he needs to stay away from a fighter and fight from the outside, he will stay close and fight on the inside. He is very confident in his ability. I see Jones trying to outwrestle Cromier. I see him doing everything conventional wisdom tells him not to do. I think that will hurt him in this particular fight.

21. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Jones Stayed Close to Tex BECAUSE of the Talk of Tex's KO Power...Just as he Intentionally Stood Up w/Gustaffson, whose STRENGTH was Stand Up...

REED Agrees Jones will LIKELY Try to Wrestle w/Cormier, but YOU Gave Cormier a Chance via Strikes, Based on Texiera's Ability to HIT Jones, Did You Not???...

REED:scratcher:

22. Anthony

Motherfucker
    No, I said Cromier can land shots on Jones because someone as slow as Tex landed on him. Cromier does not have crazy power so him landing on Jones doesnt automatically mean he will win.

23. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

That's Damn Near EXACTLY What REED Initially Said, Dude...

REED:lol:

24. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Jones will crush cornmeal.

25. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Ok, but jones does not need to be knocked out to still lose a fight in a standup game. I think Cromier will take him down and ground and pound him, but i also think he will have some success standing. I also think Jones will have lots of success standing, but cromier can take a good shot. But all those kicks that Jones throws, will be like fresh meat for the single leg.

26. Anthony

Motherfucker
    sig bet?

27. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
  28. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious WBC Champion

Daniel Cormier is an injury replacement for Alexander Gustaffson, and will fight Jon Jones.