Hopkins vs Kovalev in November

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Ugotabe Kidding, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    By Jake: http://www.boxingscene.com/hopkins-kovalev-agree-terms-november-clash--80573

Since Stevenson is avoiding him, Kovalev is going after Hops. It should be set, assuming Kovalev wins this Saturday.

Hopkins is a cockroach and if he were the same guy he was against Pavlik, I'd give him a good chance here. However even that fight was six years ago. Is Kovalev finally the guy to destroy Hops once and for all, or is Hopkins going to frustrate once again a younger favorite with his movement and stink?

2. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

According to GYM (stevenson promoter), Hopkins took less money to fight Kovalev than what they were offering him to fight Stevenson

3. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

the racist that he is, he thinks it will be easier against the white boy.

4. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

I just read the opposite: Adonis turned down the offer to fight Kovalev on HBO and jumped to Showtime to fight B-Hop (supposedly easier fight & more $), but B-Hop wanted 75/25 of the purse. Adonis camp rejected that, but Kovalev took it.

5. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Kovalev PAINFULLY Retires BHop...

REED:up:

6. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Hopkins might be murder to watch but you have to begrudgingly respect the prick for taking a fight like this aged 73 or whatever he is.

7. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Absolutely...

REED:mj:

8. loadedgloves

loadedgloves "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Yeah, pushing 50. Even with rare genetics and the wonders of 'modern medicine,' it's impressive.

9. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    This probably means caprese beats kovalev tonight

10. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Hopefully this ends Hopkins career

11. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

You know if Hopkins wins right, well...

12. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

NO CHANCE of that, Based on the Youtube Footage REED's Seen of Caparello...

Caparello DOESN'T Move as Much as his Record Suggests...He THROWS More Shots than his 6 KO's Would Lead you to Believe, as Well...Similar to Your Boy Froch, Caparello THINKS he's More AFFletic than he Actually IS...He DROPS Hands & Stands Right in Front of Guys Waaaaaaaaaaay MORE than he Should...

Unless he Undergoes a 180 Degree SHIFT in his Style of Boxing, he'll Be HIGHLIGHT REEL Material for Kovalev...

Kovalev JUST MIGHT Stop this Dude in the Very 1st Round, Seriously...Round 2 is MORE Realistic Though, in REED's Opinion...

REED:mj:

13. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

It will be easier...

14. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Not that I completely hate him, but it will be cool to see Hopkins get ktfo.

15. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

I agree but I don't think we'll ever see that happen. If the fight is stopped within the distance it probably will be because of something cheap.

16. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    not sure how kolaev is going to win. i'm not saying he wont and i'll probably pick him to win, but i dont see him outboxing hopkins nor knocking him out. should be interesting.

17. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    having said that, i have a feeling this fight won't happen.

18. His_Royness

I wanted Kov to knock Hopkins out so badly but of course I didn't think Hop would take this fight. Now I have to admit I don't care who wins, I respect Hopkins' balls if that fight takes place. Never thought he would fight a guy like Kov at this stage of his career.

If he were to win, that would be the biggest accomplishment in a single fight ever by a pro boxer for me considering all circumstances.

19. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

That's way too big of a stretch. Kovalev appears to be the legit article but appearances can be deceiving. He still hasn't defeated any elite opposition. I know he's a different fighter but look at the Pavlik fight. Much younger guy, impressive KO power, destroyed everybody in his path only to get schooled by Bernard and never was the same.

I'm not trying to dismiss a possible Hopkins win, but things need to be put into perspective. It certainly would be a major achievement but this is Kovalev's first big name opponent.

20. His_Royness

Yeah maybe I'm jumping too far but I think Kovalev is a really good boxer puncher in his prime. Kinda like Golovkin and Hopkins is fucking 50 years old. Pavlik destroyed people at middleweight and he didn't look as sharp or as powerful as Kovalev doing so and that was 6 years ago.

21. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Agreed, I like Kovalev but he is FAR too unproven for a Hopkins win to carry that much weight.

22. SilentNight

SilentNight Undisputed Champion

This is going to be glorious what Hopkins does to this scrub.

23. SilentNight

SilentNight Undisputed Champion

Because it WILL be.

Kovalev is the worst fighter probably ever to be hyped up by this forum of armchair experts.

He's very slow of foot, stiff, robotic, has a shaky chin is extremely one dimensional in his attack..never moves his head, almost never uses angles(comes directly in a straight line 90 percent of the time)

BUT HE HAF DA POWER.

I don't even talk smack about GGG because he's actually skilled, I just root for him to lose and mock his laughable competition...but Kovalev just sucks.

An absolute joke of a fighter like Beibut Shumenov held a title beating the same calibre of competition as Kovelev...that's how bad boxing is right now...and people like Xplosive picked Shumenov to stop Hopkins. :atu:

24. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Pavlik was a middleweight moving up to 175...totally different

25. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Seems like maybe you don't know as much as you think you do. At least it seems that way to hear you completely oblivious to the things Kovalev does.

26. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I kind of agree with silent. I like Kovalev, but right now, he hasn't shown a lot. he only fought garbage man. Sure he look devastating, but I wouldnt be surprised if Hopkins manage to mindfucks him

27. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I agree with this since this is a balanced take, unlike silent's who is stirring shit. Kovalev has looked impressive but he is just the type of guy Hopkins has embarrassed before and it remains to be seen if he is good enough. For Hopkins, at this stage it depends on styles: Dawson beat him easily, but Hopkins beat Pascal who is a same level of a fighter.

That being said, I still don't see how Stevenson is more dangerous than Kovalev. With the Dawson win he is bit more proven, but he has also struggled with his opponents more than Kovalev, has at least as questionable chin, is not faster and knows only one punch whereas Kovalev can put you out with many shots. Hopkins vs Stevenson wouldn't be a lock either

28. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

I think people have Kov confused with Pavlik. For one, that fight was 6 years ago. Don't pretend like Hopkins hasn't faded since then. Two, Pavlik was shit above 160. Kov is s legit light heavyweight. Three, Kov is more talented than Pavlik. He's quicker, and FAARRR more powerful.

I think his youth, work rate, and power is gonna be too much for the 50 yr old man to handle.

29. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Kovalev looks like he can be outboxed and then he touches guys and they melt. Hopkins' success has been based on being able to lock guys up and then land the pot shots on the way in before holding or on the way out after holding. I suppose it's possible he can have success doing that against Kovalev.

The established path to beating Hopkins is just to outwork him. Don't get locked up, assert your will, and win more exchanges. This is Calz, Jermain, Jermain, and Dawson.

Pascal did it with pot shots. He outworked Bernard, but in a different way and he had the knockdowns.

Pavlik is the closest in style to Kov and that's the fight Kovalev needs to make sure doesn't happen. It's not clear if Kovalev can adapt later in a fight because he's never needed to.

I do think this will be Hopkins' best win of his career, but it's easy enough to argue Tito or Tarver. That said, I'm picking Kovalev by destruction.

Kovalev 'really' should have the highest KO % of a reigning champ, too. Only the misleading and inappropriate California rule making stoppages before Round 4 due to accidental fouls a draw is screwing it up. Those are much more accurately and fairly considered No Contests or No Decisions. Kostya Tszyu's management eventually got his draw against Mas changed into a No Contest. Kovalev's should try to do the same.

30. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Another thing, guys like Pavlik, and Cloud have to be set to punch. I would include Tito in that, but that version of Hopkins was so different than the one of today that's not even worth mentioning. Hopkins was at his peak against Tito. Now he's 50.

Getting back, guys like Pav and Cloud have to be set to punch, and if you keep them off balance they're pretty worthless.

Kov is a guy who's more fluid, and more coordinated than a guy like Pavlik. He's gonna be able to nail Hopkins from angles B-Hop doesn't expect.