Guardians of The Galaxy shatters August box office record

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Opening way much better than what it was expected by predictors, Marvel's Guardians of The Galaxy shattered the previous all time August record held by The Bourne Ultimatum in 2007 with $69.3 million. The new characters film, non-sequel, non-remake took a bounty of an astonishing $94 million in its first three days. That puts it as the third biggest opening of the year just behind Transformers Age of Extinction ($100 million) and Captain America The Winter Soldier ($95 million). This is great news for Marvel who was gambling its $170 million budget on a not-well-known comicbook title that isn't as popular as the 'biggies' like Avengers, Iron Man, Hulk, etc. This opening also confirms that the studio brand 'Marvel' is accepted by audiences as a quality producer of entertainment for the masses second only in its track record by Pixar.

On a distant second place Lucy took $18.2 million for a two week total of $79.5 million. The surprise hit had a 58% decline which is not good and will see tougher competition from those pesky Ninja Turtles this coming Friday. Still with its $40 million budget even if it makes just one more dime is net profit for its studio. The James Brown biopic suffered the case of bad scheduling by releasing the film the same day as the Marvel epic. Get On Up debuted on the third spot with $14 million. Its studio can't say 'I Feel Good!' this morning and someone in marketing department will get fired.

Hercules
    had an atrocious 64% drop from its debut last week and collected just $10.7 million for a two week total of $52 million. Not good for this expensive film. Dawn of The Planet of The Apes is holding nicely in the fifth spot on its fourth week taking home $8.7 million for a current total of $189 million making it now the most successful Apes film in the franchise in its domestic run. It still needs more foreign push to best the previous film's worldwide numbers.

Last, but not least that Transformers stinker passed the $1 billion mark this weekend.

[​IMG]

2. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Very good movie 8.5/10

3. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Lucy declined because word on the street is that it is an atrocious movie, dispite the visually stunning high octane trailer. From what I've been hearing and reading it appears Limitless will actually wind up being the better film of the 2.

4. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Limitless is Mike Tyson. Lucy is Peter McNeely.

Lucy is fucking awful. The trailer fooled me really badly. Awful, awful, awful movie.

5. lb 4 lb

Yeah I hate today's trailers man. It used to be I would watch a trailer and pretty much know if it would be a movie I liked or not. Now they make these CGI trailers that look amazingly cool, but then you go see the movie and that same awesome scene from the trailer doesn't look as good when it's molded around the full length piece of shit film.

6. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Exactly. Nowadays a trailer can make any piece of crap look great.

7. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    nowadays? Where have you guys been? The whole point of a trailer is to attract an audience to a movie. Weather the movie sucks or is good, a trailer's job is to attempt to make that look good.

8. BOSS

BOSS TBD

You still here? Go watch the damn Guardians of the Galaxy.

9. lb 4 lb

Yeah, but it wasn't always so. Back when the point of movies used to be tell a good story and hope that would create profit, trailers weren't so tricky. Now that the purpose of the movies 9 times out of 10 is strictly to make the most money possible and in that regard they build the movie with that purpose in mind, the trailers have become a big part of that tricky process.

So yes, the trailer was always meant to lure you to the theater, the diffence is you were going to watch a balanced movie designed to entertain you. Now it's more like you're being tricked to go watch a big visual spectacle designed to simply take your money. It might all look the same to you, but I've clearly noticed a difference in trailers and their movies the last few years.

10. Anthony

Motherfucker
    The last few years? Give me around the time you noticed it.

11. lb 4 lb

The last couple years IS around the time I noticed it. I'm not going to be able to narrow the shit down to exactly which movies it happened with, but I know that even in this forum I'd made comments about how I rarely am wrong about movie trailers, and lately it's just been a complete 180 on that. Hell it's been everything from action films like Wrath of the Titans to my favorite genre; dramas such as Flight. Trailers don't so much show you what the film is about anymore, now they trick you into to what you think it will be.

12. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Yeah i disagree. Trailers have been doing what you are suggesting they recently started doing for close to 20 years now.

13. lb 4 lb

Well I already stated the difference, no point in going through it again.

14. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I saw the movie. It's entertaining and the SFX are great, loved Thanos. The humor was bland and the dialogue childish though. 7/10

15. BOSS

BOSS TBD

It's supposed to be silly . It has good action and a really fun flow to it.

16. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

Saw Guardians yesterday. Awesome! Very well done! Marvel has another potential sequel with this one.

17. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

V
    I
    v
    a

R
    o
    c
    k
    e
    t