What Is the Most Lucrative Fight Any Fighter Ever Got After Being Stopped Outright By a Total Scrub.

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Irish, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    One that springs to mind, of course, would be Amir Khan vs Breidis Prescott, multiple world title shots and now a prospective chance of fighting Mayweather for bazillions. Prescott stays on the road, fighting the guys Khan won't, making chump change along the way.

Another is Geoff McCreesh, a British level welterweight, going to South Africa, and ICING Dingaan Thobela.

McCreesh got the one way ticked to Palookaville, Thobela got to fight outdoors in a ball-park with loaded gloves vs Glenn Catley for the World Title.

This was in 1996.....2 years later he got a title fight in Carnival City vs Glenn Catley, which he won, before traveling to Canada to fight Davey Hilton for more mega-bucks.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/o9xaIIcLt_k?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jack Dempsey:
    Gets blown out in a round by Fireman Jim Flynn {Dempsey apologists try to make out he throws the fight}. Flynn goes on to be a sort of Julia Stiles of his time, being raped by all the good black heavyweights. Dempsey studiously avoids these fighters and gets lucrative paydays both as contender, champ and former-champ, including the infamous bankrupting of Shelby, Montana.

2. Double L

Double L Book Reader

How about Lewis/McCall? Does that fit?

Wlad/Purity

3. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    You got to be stopped outright. TKO don't count.

Also...Purritty went on to do 11 rounds with Vitali and was stopped on a cut. He also went the distance with Sanders and had a draw with Tommy Morrison. Not a total scrub.

McCall had a great chin and blew out future HW champ Oleg Maskaev in a round. Never a scrub.

I felt that Hurricane Carter vs Emile Griffith might be a good one........its a question of whether Griffith was out cold {which he wasn't} and whether Carter was scrubby enough {try to remember that Griffith was essentially a 147lb fighter then}

Griffith certainly went on to make a lot of money in lucrative title fights at 160 and Carter went on to go to jail for being a cunt.

4. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    augie sanchez. shannon briggs

5. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Carter/Griffith is a total fluke... Emile wasn't yet grown into the division, I think he weighted 150 or so for the fight

If they fought 10 times after that, I'd put money on Emile to win all 10

6. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Yeah, whatever happened to Darroll Wilson. Good call. Briggs went on to have at least 3 title shots that I can think of. Wilson went on to do very little indeed.

Derrick Jefferson vs David Izon....Izon beat him but got very little out of it. Jefferson went on to lucrative paydays vs Maskaev, Klitschko and Davarryl Williamson.. Izon sort of just dwindled after that., being fed to the likes of Al Cole. He might fit the bill for scrubby as he had only one really noteworthy victory, that over Lou Savarese, and his reward for that was being fed to Michael Grant.

7. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    I agree. He wasn't out cold either, but he was going that way if the ref let it go on. He was billed for that fight as the WW Champ, no mention or even pretence of 160lb ambitions.

Then there is the issue of the scrubbishness of Carter...its probably harsh to term him a scrub. He did go the distance with Dick Tiger and Giardello, and has KO wins over Fernandez and Griffith. Scrub is inaccurate and unfair.

8. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Yeah, Carter was basically a good puncher and a pretty strong guy who got a couple of good results but was largely mediocre, a lower top ten guy... Tiger kicked the shit out of him, but he did survive and hear the final bell... In his defense, the early to mid 60s might very well be the deepest Middlewieght division ever... I think I'd rate it as such

9. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Peter McNeeley got a crack at Tyson after being stopped by some other no-name :lol:

10. Muzse

Muzse "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:

He wrapped Tyson "in a coccoon of horror."

11. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Purrity WASN'T a Total Scrub???...

REED:wtf1:

12. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Was he more or less of a scrub than say.........Breidis Prescott or......Stanley Wright

13. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    augie sanchez is the prime example. KOd at the grand olympic auditorium by some tomato can with a losing record. he left on a stretcher. then a year or two later after beating no one of note, aside from a shot paez, he gets a payday vs hamed.

14. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Yeah. and the Payday vs Hamed most likely would have been De La Hoya type money for the lower guys, probably the guts of a million bucks on PPV.

Sanchez always seemed to respond really really badly to being hurt. Sure its a joke, nobody responds well to being cracked hard, but he seemed to respond particularly badly.

15. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    the KO loss to John Michael Johnson was jaw-dropping

right after Bob Papa mentions his questionable chin... BLAM!

16. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

I love it when stuff like that happens, right on cue :lol:

17. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Yeah Manny Steward was very good at that :lol:

18. loadedgloves

loadedgloves "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Puritty was never stopped cold by anyone, only on cuts. LOL@"went the distance with Sanders." He was nothing more than a scrub who could take a beating, boxing is full of those.

You obviously haven't seen the Morrison fight - it was similar to the wald pussy fight (Morrison had a lot of similarities to pre-wald pussy Wlad, actually). Puritty was losing every second of the fight until Morrison - who was cursed with a questionable gas tank & a shaky chin, a lot like wald pussy - got tired & got caught. Aside from his ability to take a beating, Puritty really was a scrub, a literal club fighter.

19. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Yeah I haven't seen it, and Yeah, I said Purritty was KO'd cold, cos I said there a few posts ago. I did. Its there.

Also.....is George Chuvalo a scrub....is Chuck Wepner...for eons the HW division has been about taking a whipping and looking to land a few big ones.

In that regard, a man whom by your own admission {and mine too, if you read what I wrote} was never stopped except on cuts, and who went the distance with Hasim Rahman {something Lewis couldn't} is now a "total scrub".

He wasn't. He was a better version of some of the dross that has formed the "Backbone" of the same division for years.

Now go and get me a Donald Curry.

20. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Ross Purrity was a SCRUB, Dude...It's Really THAT Simple...

REED:mj:

21. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Nah. You can't negotiate those sort of fights without knowing what you are doing.

22. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Besides Perennial ASSWHIPPNGS, What Exactly Did Purrity "Negotiate"???...

REED:scratcher:

23. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

I have to agree here, Puritty was just a punchbag. Wlad lost that fight more than Puritty won it, but it still fits your criteria. Going the distance means nothing, Peter Buckley was the first guy to take Naz to a points decision, yet it doesn't change the fact he wasn't competitive and lost over 200 fights. The guy was a scrub, just a tough one.

24. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

I agree too. At world level, the guy was a scrub, simple as that.

25. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    For me, a scrub is a guy who doesn't come up to World level. At all. Its a contradiction in terms.

Anyone who can get in the ring with Corrie Sanders, Tommy Morrison, Wlad, Vitali and Rahman and never be off their feet has to have something about them. He must have at least two world-class attributes- heart and chin, and surely that takes him above scrub status.

26. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    It was absolutely perfect:laugh11:

27. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

To REED's Understanding, this ISN'T the "LESS than World Class Fighters" Forum, Is It???...

Could Ross Purrity Have his Way w/the Common Man on the Street or CLUB SHOW Level Fighters, Even TODAY???...Absolutely...So Could Tye Fields or Michael Grant...

For the Level of Discussion Boxing Messageboards were INTENDED For, Ross Purrity is Undeniably a SCRUB, Dude...

REED:Stewie:

28. broadwayjoe

broadwayjoe Undisputed Champion

Home Page:
    I don't see Carter as being a total scrub. Overrated, sure...but he was a legit contender.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  29. broadwayjoe

broadwayjoe Undisputed Champion

Home Page:
    Yeah, but he beat wald pussy which "earns" him extra Irish points. But in the real world, Purrity was at best a journeyman.

30. Wiser 1878

Wiser 1878 Bridgerweight Champion

Management/Health Care
    I thought he won the title at 135 and at 168. (What a combination.)