Guardians on top again, Sin City bombs

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

After a two weeks hiatus from the #1 spot (thanks to those stinky Turtles), Marvel's Guardians of The Galaxy returns to the top spot with $17.6 million and claiming the title of this summer's most successful film domestically with $251 million. Internationally it is a different story as its numbers has been lower than expected and it will not come even near the numbers Transformers Age of Extinction has grossed. Moving one notch down to second place TMNT took to the bank $16.8 million for a 3 weeks total of $145 million. Debuting in the third place is the teenager GHOST wannabe tearjerker If I Stay which underperformed with $16.3 million. It was expected that the Chloe Grace Moretz film opened with at least $20 million if not more. The audience of this film was 77% female with 61% under the age of 25 which means mostly teenager girls.

Lets Be Cops is holding well with just a mere 38% drop and claimed the 4th spot with $11 million. Debuting in the 5th spot is the Jim Caviezel sport drama When The Game Stands Tall which took just $9 million but that was what the producers were aiming for this $15 million budget film. The Giver continues its poor performance in the sixth spot with $6.7 million for a two weeks total of $24.1 million. The wannabe Divergent-look-alike has its hopes now in the foreign market to make some bucks back. Stallone and company also continues underperforming with $6.6 million in the 7th spot. Will this financial debacle put a halt to the corny-but-intriguing plan for the all female cast spinoff The Expendabelles? Rumours had Sigourney Weaver signing as the lead with the likes of Linda Hamilton, Mila Jovovich, Uma Thurma, Lucy Liu, Rhonda Rousey, Michelle Rodriguez supposedly being considered for that film. But after this fiasco, you can scratch that one from the wish list.

And to finish this copy & paste report per Anthony's claims, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For bombed miserably debuting in the 8th spot with a lousy $6.4 million. This is a major disaster for Dimension Films which spend $60-$70 million budget plus like $15-$20 million in marketing campaign. No one was clamoring for a sequel, but they thought fans of the original will show up. They didn't. They went to watch 'Guardians of The Galaxy' again instead.

[​IMG]

2. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I had a feeling it would bomb. Is it at least supposed to be good?

3. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    They waited too long for Sin City 2

4. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

It's pushing a 7.3 on IMDB which is pretty good. The original sports an 8.2. I imagine the sequel's score will drop a bit as more people see it and post on it. Typically movie scores tend to drop rather than rise.

5. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Never saw the appeal whatsoever with 'Sin City'.
    Saw about 20 mins of this and just shrugged in like "what's this shit?"

Boring.

6. Panchyprsss

THIS

7. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    IMDB SUCKS!!! Get this already

8. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

This. It looks outdated.

9. Panchyprsss

Robert Rodriguez should had learned something when his Sin City co-director, Frank Miller, dropped a similar bomb in 2008 with The Spirit which coincidentally also opened with a lame $6.4 million and only grossed $19.8 million in its entire USA run before the studio retired it from the screens to do an immediate write off. Rodriguez is desperate to have a hit since he hasn't had one since 2005 Sin City.

10. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I disagree panchy. GOTG opened much later in the international markets. I expect the international numbers to surpass the domestic numbers in a few weeks.

11. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

There's this thing called an opinion, or even taste. They tend to do differ from individual to individual. Get this already.

12. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    IMDB as a basis for film ratings is clearly AWFUL

13. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Sin City 1 was an excellent movie. I dunno what the Hell yall are talking about calling it boring.

Highly doubt the sequel is as good, but perhaps I'll wait til it hits Redbox/On Demand before I see it.

14. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    This is especially true with new films, since the workers of the promotional companies write the first couple of hundred ratings for every big movie now

15. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

It was fucking shit.
    Its the sort of 'cerebral comic-book movie shit that only 'cerebral comic-book Elliot-Rodger cerebral fuck up virgins like.

Fuck off. Shit movie.

16. Panchyprsss

I will not reach the billion dollars worldwide numbers of Transformers Age of Eviction. That film made over $300 million in China alone.

17. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    WTF????

18. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

Why'd they wait 9 years to make a sequel?