American Sniper trailer

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Directed by Clint Eastwood. Looks intense!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cRbAXWfthtA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Will watch, but not on theater.

3. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

What's all this 'but not on theater' shit? :dunno:
    is it because you won't get the full, movie-goer's experience of CGI, Dolby-surround-sound, 3D shit?

4. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5bP1f_1o-zo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Getting tons of great reviews.

5. Andrew

Andrew "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Screener is out. The movie is ok, but I was expecting more with all the good reviews.

That scene from the trailer is the best of the movie.

Slight spoiler, but I thought a movie about Americas deadliest sniper with 150+ recorded kills would actually show him you know sniping more than 4 people.

6. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    The commercials don't make me want to watch this film... Strikes me as the typical "our heroes" shit

7. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    Redbox rental.

8. Panchyprsss

American Sniper shatters records, Blackhat flops

[​IMG]

No one predicted this outcome. Just a few weeks ago everybody thought this weekend was going to see a tight race between the $70 million production Blackhat starring the Sexiest Man Alive Chris Hemsworth (THOR) in a film that somewhat echoes recent headline of the Sony hack and Clint Eastwood's $58 milion budgeted Middle East war drama American Sniper starring Bradley Cooper. Predictors gave the edge to 'American Sniper' due to the buzz the film was getting and estimated the film might open with around $36 million. Then came the six Oscar nominations three days ago and suddenly everything changed...by Friday even Boxoffice Mojo was predicting the film will open with a January record of $41.5 million, but boy, was everybody so wrong! The film has written box office history by opening to a spectacular $90.2 million which is in the same league as the summer blockbusters of 2014 Captain America: The Winter Soldier, The Amazing Spiderman 2, X-Men: Days of Future Past and Guardians of The Galaxy. Unlike those bigger tentpoles, American Sniper was not released on ticket inflated 3D format, which means it sold more tickets than all the summer blockbusters on their openings. No superhero in this movie, but audiences viewed it as one. Ah, the power of Oscar nominatons! Clint Eastwood's prior best opening was Gran Torino with $29.4 million. He must feel in cloud nine today! This film is now the 2nd best opening of all time for an R rated film.

In the second spot and also scoring better numbers than expected Kevin Hart's new comedy The Wedding Ringer opened to $21.6 million which considering the disastrous reviews it got (17% rotten), this is a pretty solid opening and speaks volumes for Kevin Hart's box office draw. Paddington came in third place with an also solid $19.4 million. The family friendly film is getting good word of mouth and excellent reviews (98% fresh) so it might hold well in the following weeks.

Plummeting from #1 last week to #4 this weekend Taken 3 took $14.5 million for a 10 days total of $62.8 million and it could end its run with $100 million, but bad word of mouth that resulted in this 64% drop might end up hurting that projection. Selma drops to the fifth spot with $8.3 million.

Oh, I almost forgot about Blackhat as apparently audiences did: the Michael Man thriller had one of the worst openings ever with just $4 million. For a $70 million production that in addition had like $20 million in marketing campaign this is nothing short of an epic disaster. The film also met terrible reviews (32% rotten) so it is doubtful this film will improve those numbers in the following weeks. Expect the DVD release in three months or so.

9. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Surprised at the number on "American Sniper", not so much on "Blackhat" which I actually read some good reviews on..............but they did a really piss poor job on the trailer.

10. Haymaker

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Panchyprsss

I watched 'American Sniper' and is actually an excellent movie. Bradley Cooper was great as Chris Kyle 'the Legend'.

12. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

Haven't seen it, but I doubt any of this was Eastwood's intention. These assholes remind me of the dipshits decades ago who watched "Wall Street" and somehow came away with the idea that Gordon Gecko was the good guy, and then drove our economy into the ground 20 years later.

13. Haymaker

Indeed. I had a boss that idolized Gecko, even dressed and styled his hair like him. Was earning close to 30 grand monthly and paid us the minimum (4 employees).

Anyway I haven't seen the movie, but frankly I couldn't care less about it just because a middle eastern conflict film won't interest me.

14. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I checked Ragan Brock's twitter page, he seems like a sociopath.

15. Haymaker

I just did. And agree. He also looks kind of femme. Like a closet homo.

16. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    This movie has fuck all to do with a middle east conflict.

17. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    except it takes place largely in the middle east and is about an American soldier serving tours of duty in the middle east :scratcher:

18. Anthony

Motherfucker
    It's about his life as a family man tough decisions that affected his life. It doesn't really address the conflict of the middle east.

19. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    but it takes place there... his decisions are related to a conflict in the Middle East in which he is an active participant

20. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Yuck.

21. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Stop trying to politicize war, Clogg :nono:

22. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I hear you brother. Im just saying the movie isnt about the conflict, just more his life. Like im sure you can agree Saving Private ryan wasn't really about the WWII conflict. It was about getting some boy home to his mother. Not like the movie the patriot or Gettysburg, which dealt directly with that conflict.

23. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Word, I understand, although I'd say SPR was about the horrors of war as much as it was about Ryan

24. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    :lol:

25. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Ok. But it didnt really focus on the specific conflict of that Particular war. If someone fell asleep in 1920 and woke up in 1998 and watched SPR, they would have no clue why this war was being fought.

26. Haymaker

Right, I'm sorry it's about a Russian sniper who participated in the recent Georgia conflicts.

27. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Its about the life of a sniper. It doesnt matter what war it is.

28. Panchyprsss

[​IMG]

American Sniper Clint Eastwood directed this film which originally was going to be helmed by Steven Spielberg. I don't know if Spielberg would had delivered a better film, but what Eastwood crafted here is nothing short of a masterpiece. This is a powerful drama that depicts with a level of realism seldom seem in warfare films of late what it is like being an American soldier deployed at a foreign country where basically everybody hates you. Bradley Cooper delivers his career best performance as Chris Kyle, an average Texas cowboy who decides to join the Navy Seals after the news of a pre-9-11 terrorist attack at USA embassy gets him fill with indignation. While still in boot camp he meets his future wife (Sienna Miller, hot as usual) and can't enjoy his honeymoon since the 9-11 events has him and his other peers send to the Middle East. The film while it doesn't shy from the horrors of war, is also powerful during the quiet moments when Chris can't enjoy civil life since his mind is still at the conflict. This is easily Clint Eastwood's best film to date and of all the films nominated for Best Film, this is my favorite (I have watched 5 out of the 8 films so far). It is nothing short of criminal omitting Clint Eastwood as Best Director. As for Best Actor in my opinion Cooper should win based on the fact that you believe in his character as the everyday man in extraordinary circumstances. I know the favorites are Michael Keaton (Birdman) and Eddie Redmayne (The Theory of Everything) in Oscar voters artsy films, both Golden Globes winners, but I could relate better to the simple Texas cowboy who becomes a sniper than the washed-out actor losing his mind or the physicist genius who becomes paraplegic. 9/10

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  29. Haymaker

To me it fucking does :dunno: Watch it yourself. Me? I don't want to see another film about americans vs middle eastern people. Fuck.

30. Panchyprsss

This film dwarfs any previous film done about the middle east conflict. Best Movie of the Year!
    There...I said it.