End of the Year MMA Schedule

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by Trplsec, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Which one are you most interested in seeing. Feel free to add your own.

Aldo-Mendes II------- Something tells me this is going to be far more competitive than the first time around. Mendes was doing well until he got cranked with a somewhat lucky knee.

Bisping-Rockhold------ Interesting bad blood match-up that should be a technical stand-up battle. Both guys have tremendous pace and it should come down to power which gives the edge to Rockhold.

Velasquez-Werdum------ Has Werdum's striking really improved enough to match-up with Cain? Will Cain use his wrestling given Werdum's BJJ credentials?

Edgar-Swanson------- To me this is a PPV worthy main event on free TV. Connor McGregor has probably leap frogged the winner of this fight for the next shot at the FW title. And that's a crock of shit. The winner of this fight deserves the next shot.

Hendricks-Lawler II------ Don't need to sell this one.

Melendez-Pettis------ Discount Melendez all you want, but the dude has never been stopped and hasn't been clearly beaten since being out wrestled by Josh Thompson almost 7 years ago. Pettis is a finisher and has shown he can stay dangerous for 5 rounds. This fight can't miss.

Diaz- Dos Anjos----- This one is included for the Diaz haters. Dos Anjos is one of the top 2 or 3 LW's in the world. He probably isn't going to attack Nate's Achilles heal (wrestling) so it could be an interesting stand up battle. In a kick boxing match, Nate has a shot at the upset.

2. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Isn't Jones-Cormier in December?

3. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Jan 3

4. mw314159

mw314159 Undisputed Champion

Velasquez / Werdum is the one I'm most looking forward to. The heavyweight champion of the world is the baddest man on the planet. I'd love to see Werdum win, but I don't expect him to.

I'd love to see JDS as champion again. Cain just has his number. I don't want to see Cain beat him down for 5 rounds again. I'd pick JDS to win in a rematch with Werdum. Unless he's been damaged from the brutal losses to Cain. He had too much heart for his own good in the 2nd and 3rd fights with Cain.

I'm excited about Melendez / Pettis and Dos Anjos / Nate Diaz too. Nate is clearly one of the best in the division without being the number one guy. I wouldn't consider it an upset if he wins. Melendez might be the actual number one guy. We'll find out soon.

5. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Hasn't he been getting his ass kicked with some regularity for the past several years?

6. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Nate is clearly not one of the best. He's a guy who has always been very good, but a notch below the really top guys.

His win over Cerrone is impressively, but shortly after he got beaten comfortably by boring Bendo, then battered by Thomson.

7. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

It's tough to say given his inactivity since knocking out Maynard. The losses to Bendo and Thompson are hard to forget.

But Nate also has recent lopsided, beat down wins against 2 current top 10 Lightweight in Jim Miller and Donald Cerrone.

Hell Cerrone is probably 1 win away from a title shot and Nate made him look silly less than 3 years ago.

I wouldn't rank Diaz in the top 5 now but if he beats Dos Anjos, he should be.

8. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    Diego Sanchez vs Joe Lauzon on November 15th in Mexico City. That will be a fun scrap to watch.

9. mw314159

Nate destroyed Maynard with a brutal first round knockout in his last fight. He subbed Jim Miller, a bjj black belt, and made it look easy. He used his boxing to set up the choke. He embarrassed Cowboy Cerrone. He made him look like an amateur when he's also clearly one of the best in the division.

Josh Thomson kicked his ass, true. Or kicked his head. Thomson has always been underrated. Bendo outwrestled Nate and made him look bad over 5 rounds.

That's why I said Nate is clearly one of the best without being the #1 guy. He's dominated and beaten some of the best in the division. He's lost a few to some of the best in the division. He has the skills to beat Dos Anjos. I hope he will. I wouldn't be surprised if either guy won. I'd only be shocked if Dos Anjos finished the fight like he did with Bendo.

10. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    looking forward to hendricks/lawer 2 and pettis/melendez.

i expect cain to stop werdum in 2 rounds. diego looks like he's finished, but he might have enough to grind out a win against lauzon. on paper, that's the most exciting fight to look forward to.

11. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

It's really a weak end of the year. Melendez is a candidate for least intimidating, least imposing looking top fighter in the sport, and his personality comes across as mild and passive. I guess Pettis/Melendez is the best of the weak list. I'm looking forward to the Chandler fight in November against Brooks, too.

12. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

agREED...

REED:dance2:

13. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Looking forward to Swanson-Edgar tonight. They are almost identical fighter and I think Edgar's big fight experience probably gives him the edge.

Very solid undercard with a few interesting match-ups. The co-main has Bobby Green fresh off his upset shocker of Josh Thompson paired against Edson Barboza.

14. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

I'm excited for all these fights, this season of TUF has been good too and makes me even more exited about petits-melendez

15. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Edgar was as dominant as possible. Swanson is a good fighter and Frankie blew through him.

The UFC should make McGregor face this animal to earn a title shot.

16. mexican wedding shirt

Funny thing about Edgar is I think he is undefeated. I feel he got jobbed to some degree in every one of his losses. And given his level of comp, he should be right up there in the P4P rankings.

He'd probably beat McGregor too.

17. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

18. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

I think he clearly lost the first Maynard fight but otherwise I agree completely.

Edgar could compete and potential win either the FW or LW tomorrow.

I think he schools McGregor.

19. mexican wedding shirt

To be fair I did wonder about that one, I can't remember it, so it's possible I haven't even seen it. I've seen the others though.

But yeah OK, let's say he has one legit loss, and none of the robberies - it's one of the best records in MMA.

20. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    did jon jones and that stocky frenchman cormeeA choose to fight next year to avoid a scheduling conflict with the greatest combat sportsman on the planet Guillermo "the jackal" rigondeaux?

21. mexican wedding shirt

They must have done.

Incidentally, Jackals are pretty koo. I watched some Jackal videos recently. They are gutsy little fuckers, they even nause lions etc. They're fast too, gotta be one of the fastest dogs in the world.

22. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    edgar is a great fighter. i'd like to see him vs. mendes. both are great wrestlers, but mendes might have the edge in power while edgar is a little quicker and better in transition.

23. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

This forum is deader than fuck, but I am looking forward to tonight's card. Two title fights is sweet.

24. mw314159

This feels like the biggest UFC card of the year. :) I'm hoping Melendez and Lawler can find a way to win. Literally every fight in the PPV is important to me. Todd Duffee looks like an absolute destroyer when he isn't being knocked out cold with one shot. He'd be a monster in the heavyweight division if he had JDS's chin.

Raquel Pennington just choked out Ashlee Evans Smith with a bulldog choke. That's the first time I've seen someone finish a fight with that move.

25. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Yeah, really looking forward to this one. The main card has 3 entertaining fights before the fantastic co-main events.

Melendez is tough as nails and it will be very interesting to see how he takes the big kicks from Showtime. Melendez has 25 pro fights at a very high level and has never been stopped. I think his durability and well-rounded game will give Pettis fits.

Meanwhile, I think Hendricks has plans to use his wrestling more in the rematch which could make for a boring fight. But I just don't think Hendricks has it in him to be boring. He'll end up trading, and we'll likely get another fun slug fest.

On a related note, someone is fucking with the UFC 181 Wikipedia page. Here are the results from the last fight:

[TABLE="class: toccolours"]
    <tbody>[TR]
    [TD]Light Heavyweight[/TD]
    [TD]Corey Anderson[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]def.[/TD]
    [TD]Justin Jones[/TD]
    [TD]TKO (Grape Drank Kick)[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]3[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]1:02[/TD]
    [/TR]
    </tbody>[/TABLE]

Seagal teaches the Grape Drank Kick

26. mw314159

The prelims have been awesome so far. That head kick knockout was insane. Urijah Faber is up next.

Carlos Newton choked out Pat Miletich at UFC 31 with a bulldog choke. I told a friend about the Pennington fight, and he remembered the other time it has happened in the UFC. I saw that fight too, but it has been a while.

27. mw314159

That sucked. I wanted Faber to win, but not like that. It's like when Marquardt knocked out Palhares.

28. mw314159

Sometimes I get annoyed when Joe Rogan and Dana White hype the PPV fights to get people to buy. Tonight all the hype is justified. :) This is the first time I've actually bought a PPV since the Jones / Shogun fight.

29. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

That Faber win will be overturned and ruled a "No Contest".

These first 3 fights could end quickly.

30. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Trujillo was more skilled, stronger, bigger puncher, better wrestler, better timing but lost in a big way because he has zero stamina.