So who can GGG fight?

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Xplosive, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Usually the old adage of "Nobody wants to face this guy" is bullshit, but GGG might the first case we've seen in which it's 100% true.

Quillin's scared to death of him. Roach is too scared to let Cotto fight him. Canelo sure as Hell ain't gonna fight him.

Then at 168, neither Froch nor Chumpez Junior wants to fight him. And Ward is basically fucking retired.

Who can GGG face?

2. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I am not sure that Froch won't fight him. Let's see GGG push for that and see if they can make it happen. How about Dirrell, De Gale or Groves, they would all be some kind of threats for a smaller guy. Arthur Abraham won't fight him. Usually I wouldn't demand for a fighter to challenge the guys from upper division, but GGG has to if he wants to achieve a status as a legend, since his own division is all empty.

In middleweight there are no credible contenders, but I wouldn't mind Taylor or Murray as next opponents.

Basically what I would like to see from GGG is either
    1) pushing harder for bigger fights and demanding his opponents to the same ring. It is easy to say that nobody wants to fight him and it might even be true, but I'd like to see him convince us for that
    or
    2) fight more often. If only these b-class guys will fight him, then fight eight times a year and take them out in brutal fashion

3. Xplosive

I don't think Froch wants anything to do with GGG. The Froch of 4-5 years ago would have no problem facing GGG, but not now. I think he wants to fight Chavez and retire. I think he feels very confident of beating Chavez, and knows it's a big money fight. Froch is a very self confident guy, but when it comes to GGG, I think he knows deep down inside that it wouldn't end well for him. And he wants his final fight to be an impressive win, not a stoppage loss.

Does that make Froch a bitch? Hell no! The guy has fought nothing but the best. He's entitled to fight a scrub like Chavez in his going away fight.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  4. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

i think you're making a lot of assumptions when it come to who want and don't want to fight GGG. The onus is on him to show that he want to face top opposition. The ''nobody want to face me'' defense can only bring you so far. I don't believe for a second that , with all the HBO backing he has, he cant secure a top opponent. If he has to take a pay cut to do so, so be it, cause at 32, it's not like he has a lot of time to spare. At this rate, it looks like he's going to be a second Joe Calzaghe (if even that). Sad, has he has the potential to be so much more.

5. Xplosive

Calz hid his slapping ass in the UK for his entire career. Until he smelled that Hopkins, and Jones were on their last legs, then he swooped in like a coked up vulture, and came to the states.

GGG is in the states obliterating guys in front of a national audience. He's already better known in the US than Calz ever was. You'd think he has enough recognition that guys would be willing to fight him.

6. Muzse

Muzse "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Froch has never struck me as the kind of guy who'd shy away from fighting anyone. I believe his comments about not fighting GGG were solely meant for the sake of flattery rather than a sign of his being afraid to fight the guy.

Froch's record speaks for itself. He has no reason to fear GGG. If anything, GGG has to prove he'd be worthy of a fight with Froch.

If the right amount of money were on the table, Froch would take the fight in a heartbeat. All this "Froch wants no part of GGG" talk is just that, talk.

7. Muzse

Home Page:
    Jean Pascal
    Jermain Taylor
    Andre Dirrell
    Mikkell Kessler (2x's)
    Arthur Abraham
    Glen Johnson
    Andre Ward
    Lucian Bute

If you want to throw in George Groves twice, be my guest.

Those are Froch's fights over the past six years. Why in the world would he be hesitant to fight a guy that hasn't fought anyone?

Ridiculous

8. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

Lets not turn this into another Calzaghe-bashing thread. I'd like to see Froch-GGG

9. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

I don't think he's scared either but bringing up "the right amount of money" means nothing as that goes for every fighter ever. For a few million dollars anybody on this forum would fight GGG.

10. Muzse

Home Page:
    I only mention the amount of money offered because Froch would be the A side of the promotion and they'd have to make it worth his while. An offer of less or parity with GGG is an insult and a non-starter; therefore, a few million wouldn't mean anything to Froch.

He'd get that anyway.

11. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

This...

If a LEGIT Offer is Made to Froch, he'd Fight GGG...As you Noted, NO Fighter has a Better Resume, in the Last 5-8 Years...

REED

12. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

Froch isn't 'frightened' of GGG. For perhaps the first time history, I agree with Muzse. Froch has shown categorically that he is too much of a self-confident farmer to be frightened of anyone. His resume is exceptional. But X is absolutely spot-on. Froch spent about four years fighting in other people's backyards - Taylor's hometown in his first defence, Kessler's homeland for the first fight, Ward's backyard etc and as a result has taken the short financial end of too many even-money fights in foreign countries. He's old now and he knows it. Froch wants a big Vegas payday in a low-risk fight against someone he thinks he'll look sensational against before he retires.

He's entitled to it IMO. If anyone in modern boxing is entitled to one last payday against someone he probably lights up, it's Froch.

MTF

13. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Good Post...

#1 on Your List is EASY to Accomplish...Simply PUBLICIZE your Offers to Other Fighters, Basically SHAMING them into an Agreement...

#2 is What Kovalev's Been Doing, Leading Up to the Hopkins Fight..

And of Course, There's Always '68...

REED

14. meetthefeebles

I'm not usually a massive advocate of punchers at 160 going up to 168. History has shown that several hard-hitting middles (Benn, McClellan, Pavlik, Abraham to name but four) lose a lot of their potency at the higher weight, even though it's only 6lbs extra. But GGG really is fighting in possibly the worst middleweight pond in history and he's achieving very little by beating the snot out of shite like Rubio. He should move up. Even a fight with someone like Kessler would be a MASSIVE improvement on the dross he is lighting up so far.

MTF

15. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Good point MTF, historically hard punching middles don't do well at 168.

Foe example lightweights moving to welterweight have done much better - Duran, Mosley, Floyd, Pacquiao.

16. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    golovkin should fight murray or korobev next

17. meetthefeebles

I don't think either will fight him. They are both very decent fights if they happen, though.

MTF

18. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

korobev has said he wants to fight golovkin

19. Jesus of montreal

Korobov would not be an acceptable fight. The guy has shown very little thus far, and looks like a very average fighter. You do not becomes a good fighter just because HBO hypes you

20. meetthefeebles

Korobov would be a better fight than Rubio was. That was an absolute load of shite from the second it was mooted, let alone signed.

MTF

21. mexican wedding shirt

I can't lie, I haven't even seen Korobov fight - but his level of competition makes Gaybox's look awesome.

22. Jesus of montreal

you're not missing much

23. Muzse

Home Page:

Apparently he's good enough to make Peter Quillen pass on $1.4 million to fight him.

24. meetthefeebles

He looks a decent prospect. He's not a lot more than that at this stage but he seems decent to me. He's a lot better than Rubio, though that is hardly saying a lot.

MTF

25. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Guarantee you if he were to fight somebody like Froch and destroy him, Muzse would be in here with "he beat a washed-up Froch, big deal"

26. Muzse

Home Page:

Froch's shit is paid for.

27. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

If he fought golovkin his shit would be pushed in

28. meetthefeebles

Like it was when he fought your boy Bute?

MTF

29. mexican wedding shirt

30. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

you talking about a guy golovkin KOd a decade ago?