Hendricks vs. Brown set for UFC 185, Potentially opening up a spot for Rory & Lawler at 186

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by Anthony, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    [h=1]Thatch vs. Thompson now heads UFC Fight Night 60, Brown vs. Hendricks set for UFC 185[/h]

By: MMAjunkie Staff January 13, 2015 6:05 pm

1.4k shares SHARE

TWEET

EMAIL

[​IMG]Johny Hendricks

The UFC has announced a major shakeup in the plans for the welterweight division, as one fight has gone from three rounds to five and another title fight has been scrapped.
    UFC officials today announced that with Tarec Saffiedine out of UFC Fight Night 60, a main-card matchup between Brandon Thatch (11-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) and Stephen Thompson (10-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) has been promoted to the evening’s main event and will now serve as a five-round affair. Meanwhile, while former UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks (16-3 MMA, 11-3 UFC) was expected to complete his trilogy with current champ Robbie Lawler later this year, “Bigg Rigg” will instead face Saffiedine’s original opponent, Matt Brown (19-12 MMA, 12-6 UFC), at UFC 185.
    The announcement would seem to open the possibility that Canadian contender Rory MacDonald will get the next crack at the UFC welterweight title, perhaps at UFC 186, which is scheduled for April 25 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. However, UFC officials didn’t immediately reply for a request for comment by MMAjunkie, and MacDonald is currently slated to face Hector Lombard at the event.
    UFC Fight Night 60 takes place Feb. 14 at 1STBank Center in Broomfield, Colo. Meanwhile, UFC 185 takes place March 14 at Dallas’ American Airlines Center.
    Thatch has won 10 straight fights. In March 2013, he headlined RFA 7, coincidentally in Broomfield, with a submission of Mike Rhodes. That eventually got him a call from the UFC, which booked him to meet Justin Edwards in Indianapolis. He won “Knockout of the Night” honors for his 83-second stoppage. He returned in November 2013 and stopped Paulo Thiago with a first-round submission in Brazil. An injury has kept him sidelined for all of 2014, though.
    “Wonderboy” Thompson has won four straight fights since a loss to Matt Brown at UFC 145. Most recently, he took a unanimous decision from Patrick Cote at UFC 178 in Las Vegas. That built on knockout wins over Robert Whittaker and Chris Clements, as well as a decision win over Nah-Shon Burrell.
    While the change pushes his return back one month, Brown now looks to rebound from a July “Fight of the Night” loss to now-champ Lawler, which served as UFC on FOX 12’s headliner and a title eliminator. Prior to the decision defeat, Brown had posted a seven-fight winning streak (with six knockouts) that had him within grasp of a title shot.
    After former champ Georges St-Pierre vacated his belt in late 2013, Lawler and Hendricks fought for the belt in April 2014. Hendricks won the first meeting via unanimous decision. As Hendricks recovered from injuries, Lawler then defeated Jake Ellenberger and Brown to set up the rematch in December at UFC 181.
    In the heavily anticipated rematch of their initial “Fight of the Year” candidate, Lawler earned the split decision, though most media outlets scored the fight for Hendricks. Still, Hendricks will now stay busy rather than wait on a recovering Lawler, who recently said he hopes to return to training next month.
    More on this in just a moment.

2. Anthony

Motherfucker
    This isnt surprising as hendricks recently said he is not that excited about fighting Lawler again.

3. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

You given Brown a chance Anthony?

I think he's going to give Hendricks fits and might pull off the upset.

4. mw314159

mw314159 Undisputed Champion

I'd rather see Hendricks fight someone like Brown while Rory gets a title shot. I hate all these instant trilogies in the UFC. Guys shouldn't fight 3 times in a row and hold up the belt for the other challengers in the division. Hendricks / Lawler 2 wasn't exactly an entertaining fight anyway, except for a few minutes.

Brown is a tough fight for anyone. I was surprised at how much success he had against Lawler. I'd favor Hendricks but not by much.

5. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I think he is live. I dont like the way Hendricks was taking some of those lawler punches. I dont think he liked it either.

6. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    this should be a good fight. i give brown a decent shot at winning. does this mean that macdonald won't be fighting lombard and will get a title shot instead?

7. mw314159

mw314159 Undisputed Champion

It would be completely unfair to Rory, but I would love to see a Nick Diaz / Robbie Lawler rematch for the title if Diaz beats Anderson. Giving a title shot to someone who hasn't earned it would undermine the integrity of the sport, true. I'd still buy that PPV. I wouldn't care enough to buy Lawler / MacDonald 2. I'd stream it or watch it at a sports bar.

None of that will matter if Diaz gets destroyed by Anderson. Which is what everyone expects.

8. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I think, unless he has a bad weight cut again, Hendricks beats Brown fairly easily. I like Brown, but I think he's overrated by a lot of people. Who is Brown's best win? Erick Silva?

As far as the Diaz\Anderson Silva fight, while the last thing I want to see is Diaz get a win over a legend like Silva, who knows what Silva has left. As we have seen with fighters like Chuck Liddell, Fedor, Rich Franklin, etc, a fighter's skills can bottom out in a hurry. They can go from champ to washed up in a blink of an eye. Coming off of two losses in which he didn't look good in either fight, and a major, major injury, who knows where Silva is right now.

TFK

9. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

agREED...

People Speak of Matt Brown as if he's a Legitimate BADASS, or Something, Dating Back to his Days on T.U.F...But Even Then, Dude DIDN'T Even Make it to the Semi-Finals, if REED's Not Mistaken....

He's BRAVE & Willing to Go Fuuuurther than Most to WIN a Fight, but that Doesn't Necessarily Make Matt Brown "Good", Per Se...REED Doubts Dude Ever FIGHTS for a World Title, Nevermind WIN One...

REED:hammert:

10. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Yeah but he's been by far the best fighter to come out of that TUF season. He'd beat down both Sadollah and Dollaway pretty easily now. I think he's a good fighter and a legit badass, but not close to elite or anything. A solid top 10 guy.

11. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Agreed too. He's likeable, and can obviously fight, but people are going a bit overboard with him, acting like he's an elite fighter.

He's done much better than expected in the UFC, that's for sure, compared to your average TUF contestant.