ALDO OUT !!!!! Mendes in.

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by Anthony, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
  2. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I rip on the UFC model because I think it sucks how much power and control they have, etc., but this is why fans have a hard time complaining.

The UFC has always been good about making fights happen when they are hot.

3. mw314159

mw314159 Undisputed Champion

Wasn't it going to be in Dublin? It doesn't matter to me. I'll watch it either way. This is the most exciting matchup they could make at featherweight right now.

4. TKO

TKO Administrator Staff Member

There was talk of a stadium, Croke Park 90k or The Aviva 60k. Both stadiums are located in residential areas, there is no way the UFC or anyone would get permission to have an event at 2am ( as they did in Sweden) The PPV or lack there of means the fight will take place in Vegas.

5. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

While connor looks pretty good, he has a bit of a fraud aura around him. He traveled the the path of least resistance on his way to a tile shot, and he hasn't really fought any elite fighters (no, Poirier is not an elite fighter). The fact that a victory over a very shot dennis siver gave him a title shot, makes me wonder if the UFC doesn't really trust his worth as a fighter, and want to cash on him.

6. mw314159

Well, yeah. Why would the UFC have Conor fight someone like Frankie Edgar? He might lose to an elite wrestler. That would set up an Aldo / Edgar rematch that wouldn't sell as much as an Aldo / McGregor fight.

I don't mind, though. Aldo has already beaten the other top contenders. This is the best fight to make at featherweight right now. McGregor will prove he's an elite fighter in the near future, or he won't. If he loses, guys like Edgar and Mendes will get more shots at Aldo. If he wins, he'll have to defend the belt against guys like Edgar and Mendes.

7. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    An appealing match-up because it won't go to the ground. Too bad it's in July otherwise I'd consider attending my first mma card

8. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Not having to fight Edgar, Mendes, Lamas or Swanson and being gifted a title shot is definitely the path of least resistance.

I get the business case but it's horseshit otherwise.

9. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Lawler vs. Rory has just been added to this card.

10. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

FANTASTIC Card:clapagain:...They Should Name the Event "Changing of the Guard?"...

Call it a Hunch, but REED Thinks McGregor will BEAT Aldo...Aldo's like the Suit that USED to Be your Favorite, but Isn't Anymore...Sure, you Still Wear It, but it just Doesn't Illicit EXCITEMENT Anymore...McGregor's Anything BUT that & is the Breath of Fresh Air the Division AND the Sport Needs...

Hopefully He Wins...

Lawler has a Puncher's Chance, Obviously, but Rory's Been the Unofficial "Heir Apparent" @ 170 for Quite Some Time Now...If he Can Avoid EXCHANGES w/Lawler, it Will Be a Fairly 1-Sided Fight for Rory, in REED's Opinion...

REED:mj:

11. mw314159

Did you see their first fight? Lawler almost knocked him out and won a clear decision. I don't expect Rory to do any better in the rematch.

12. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Yeah, I think REED must have completely missed that fight :lol:

13. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

This...

REED had No Clue they'd Already Fought...Surprising to Hear Lawler Won without Much Fuss...

Doesn't Really Alter REED's Thoughts on the RE, However...

REED

14. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Rory isn't a guy that's going to take many risk. He likes to dominate without putting himself in harm's way. The fear of exchanging with Lawler's power absolutely stifled Rory's boxing in the first fight. He also tasted the power a few times so I expect he'll walk into the cage with a little fear this time.

Unless Rory is willing to get dirty this time around, I expect more of the same. And it seems like Lawler's take down defense keeps getting better so I doubt MacDonald can even count on a GSP lay and pray type of plan.

15. mexican wedding shirt

Sure, figured as much, but your last line doesn't make much sense :lol:

I mean, finding out the guy you picked him to dominate, actually beat him when they fought, how could that not alter your thoughts on a rematch? :dunno:

16. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Because reed, just like most of us on this website is a stubborn motherfucker

17. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    reed will respond to your post later. at the moment he is masturbating feverishly to martin murray

18. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Here's the Thing, Since REED's Never Seen Them Fight. his Only Recourse is to Formulate an Opinion/Prediction Based On his Interpretation of their STYLES and how he Imagines them MESHING

To REED, the Matchup is Basically MYTHICAL, as Funny as that May Sound...More Importantly, MMA is Littered with Examples of VARYING Outcomes, in RE's...

Was Rory DOMINATED from Pillar to Post? Did he NOT Have Pockets of Success???...Absolutely NATHAN to Build Upon?...

Lawler's Effective, but BASIC...And Rory's Undoubtedly IMPROVED Since Then, Or at Worst Feels he Can Put Forth a Better Showing, by Virtue of Taking the Fight...

Give REED Rory!!!

REED

19. mw314159

I thought Rory was going to dominate their first fight. Robbie had been on a hot streak, but he hadn't beaten anyone as good as Rory MacDonald in his UFC comeback. Robbie did much better than I expected in defending the takedowns. Rory had a few successes there, but Robbie kept the fight standing for the most part and landed the more damaging shots.

I'm sure Rory has worked hard to improve since the last fight. Robbie has been improving too. I don't see him having a long reign as champ, but I'm picking Robbie to win this one.

20. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I'm a huge lawler fan, but I think the first fight was competitive enough, to think that Rory might win a re.

21. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

:bears:

Lawler could win again and that wouldn't alter REED's thoughts on a third fight.

:lol:

22. mexican wedding shirt

OK so who are you guys picking?

Conor seems pretty good, he's dispatched decent guys like Poirier impressively - but I do agree with JOM in that there's a certain fraud air about him.

But Aldo is a guy I've always considered somewhat overrated, in topping P4P lists etc, he's never seemed THAT good to me. I thought Edgar beat him too.

BTW, isn't it weird Aldo is still only 28? Seems to have been around forever, he's only 2 years older than McGregor.

23. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    both fights are toss ups imo. not sure how good McGregor's power is, but I guess we'll find out. I thought the first lawler-McDonald fight was close. I think rory will fight differently this time around. he might move more and will look to use his quick takedowns. lawler has the momentum going in, so I think it will be another competitive fight.

24. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

I get why you said it, but it's tough for me not to argue the point of Aldo being overrated. The dude has never lost at Featherweight which is 25 fights. He's won 18 straight overall against guys like Faber, Swanson, Mendes, Edgar, Florian, Brown, etc.

I think part of the issue with rating Aldo is the fact that he was a destroying, finishing machine in the WEC. However, he's been pushed the distance in 5 out of his 7 fights in the UFC. He doesn't seem to be able to dominate the top guys. In fact, he had very close fights with Florian, Edgar and Mendes.

So, again, if you throw out the pre UFC fights by Aldo, it's easy to see why he'd be considered overrated. But damn, his winning streak is tough to ignore.

That being said, McGregor is an interesting fight for Aldo. Jose has been getting hit more frequently in recent fights and his explosive counters aren't ending fights like they used to. But unlike Edgar and Mendes who are constantly moving and threatening take downs, McGregor will come right at Aldo and engage in a kickboxing match. I don't think anyone beats Aldo with that style, but it will be fun to see how it goes.

25. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I'm also curious to see how McGregor reacts when it gets past the first round and he starts to get hit. aldo is very tough to win rounds against.

26. mw314159

I'm picking Conor in the main event. I want to believe he's as good as he says he is. It would be fun as an MMA fan to see him as champion.

Aldo is one of the all time P4P greats. He hasn't looked like the destroyer he used to be in recent years. Is the competition better these days, or is he past his prime already in his 20s? He destroyed Mendes in their first fight, but the second one was close.

I'm picking Robbie Lawler in his first title defense. I'm sure Rory has improved and has a different gameplan this time. Robbie should be better too. It's hard to believe he's only 33 when he was fighting in the UFC back in 2002.

27. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Did you guys watch the ten part Embedded? Great stuff.

28. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

I think and hope that McGregor SODOMIZES Aldo!

I think he is going to lay a 1st class ASSWHUPPIN On him!!

ALL KINDZ OF WHUPPINS

29. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I'm hoping for Aldo/Lawler wins but I'm picking both McGregor and MacDonald. I think Aldo is past his prime already and Lawler, as good as he has looked at WW, is not a guy who will have a long reign as champ.

30. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I think McGregor winning is good for the sport. Aldo doesnt try to finish fights anymore and IMO is boring.