GGG: More Chavez than Tyson

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Xplosive, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Stylewise, Golov is the closest thing we've seen to a prime Chavez stylewise. Now, before REED pops a blood vessel, I'm NOT saying GGG is a top 20 atg.

What I'm saying is HBO hypes GGG to be Tyson-like destroyer, when he's more like a Chavez-like machine.

Like Chavez, he's methodical, patient, places EVERY punch with a purpose, and has thudding power that STAYS with you over the course of the fight. Also like Chavez he has a very solid jab, and is adept at blocking, and picking off shots on defense (Chavez had a better defense though).

Whereas Tyson just had an extremely RARE blend of handspeed and strength that combined to give him blitzing power. When Mike hit guys, it didn't really stay with them for several rounds. They were goners on the spot. Also, Mike wasn't methodical. He simply came back in behind the peek-a-boo and looked to take guys out from the jump.

GGG doesn't have that type of power, nor that type of approach. He's methodical, relentless, and thudding like Senior was.

2. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

agreed a 100%

He really reminded me of Chavez this saturday

3. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Chavez APPROACH w/TysonESQUE 2-Fisted POWER...

Even Considering the GAP in the Quality of their Opposition, REED Thinks it's Already SAFE to Say GGG's More of a Pure "Puncher" than Chavez Sr. EVER Was...

REED:mj:

4. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

agREED. Chavez was heavy handed but didn't have the one punch concussive type power GGG has. Their approaches are pretty similar though. Slow start followed by suffocating pressure with particular attention to the body. If Julio had Golovkin's power he wouldn't necessarily have had a higher KO percentage, but the knockouts would have come sooner in his fights.

5. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

For Christ's sakes I thought this was Chavez Jr.

6. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

:lol:

Well they both like to go forward and puncher their opponents so they aren't completely dissimilar.