Two flops and two winners at the box office

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

[​IMG]

Chappie director Neill Blomkamp's (District 9, Elysium) newest scifi flick took the top stop in an anemic weekend at the box office with an equally anemic $13.3 million, which makes it the lowest debut ever for the South African director. In fact 'Chappie' will most likely finish its USA run well below its budget. What went wrong? Well, maybe the silly title which suggest more of a 'Earth to Echo' film than a drama about artificial intelligence. Second, for older moviegoers the plot is too reminiscent of 1986 'Short Circuit' and that is not a good thing. Third, both critics and audiences gave the film thumbs down, so Blomkamp will have a tough case to ask for a bigger budget to 20th Century Fox if the studio decides to go ahead with him in rebooting the ALIEN franchise. Keep in mind that his last film, 'Elysium' hardly made its budget back and has since been forgotten by audiences.

In the second spot, last week's champ Focus added $10 million to its already weak debut. In what it is Will Smith's worst box office performance 'Focus' has grossed so far $34.5 million. Foreign grosses might help the film recoup its investment, but being this the third box office dud in row for the former box office champ clearly signals the end of Smith as a sure investment to open a film big.

Taking over the third spot the sequel The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel debuted with a solid (for its budget) $8.6 million which is slight improvement over its first film debut when it expanded the numbers of its screens.

Kingsman: The Secret Service descended to the #4 spot with $8.3 million in its fourth week. The comicbook-based film has grossed $98 million domestically and $150 million overseas for a worldwide gross of $248 million and counting. Expect a sequel.

SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water took $7 million in the fifth spot for a current total of $148.9 million.

Fifty Shades of Grey added $5.6 million to its already impressive numbers. The erotic melodrama which had a $40 budget has already grossed $527 million worldwide. Which proves once and for all that films targeted to female audiences can be profitable if the product is appealing enough.

Unfinished Business bombed in its debut in the 10th spot with a disastrous $4.8 million. This is the worst debut for actor Vincent Vaughn who already has a string of recent flops under his belt.

Last but not least, American Sniper finally surpassed The Hunger Games: Mokingjay part 1 to become THE most successful domestic film of 2014. The Clint Eastwood film now has a total of $337 million and a worldwide $500 million, easily the iconic director most successful film of his legendary career.

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Will Smith is pretty irrelevant in the world nowadays.

3. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Maybe the reason Chappie flopped is because the trailer sales you a film that looks lame and predictable. I had no interest in seeing it from the start.

4. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:

I am glad Chappie flopped.

5. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    Focus was a pretty good movie. I'll watch Chappie but only because I want to go to the theater that has new reclining seats.

6. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Can you wait to experience those new seats while watching a movie that is, you know, good?

7. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    I could but I figure I'd give Blomkamp a chance. I liked Elysium and District 9 a lot.