Pacquiao's best strategy to win

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by mexican wedding shirt, Apr 24, 2015.

1. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

For a megafight, our picks so far are ridiculously one sided, almost everyone is picking Floyd.

So whoever you're picking, what strategy do you think is Pacquiao's best shot at winning?

I've heard several of you say "One shot that hurts Floyd" is his best shot, and I disagree.

Floyd has a very good chin, he's even taken heavy enough shots at 154 with little to no effect. I don't think Pacquiao punches hard enough at 147 to really hurt him.

Pacquiao's best shot is a high energy, high workrate fight IMO, just outwork Floyd and beat him on points. That seems like a more realistic possibility to me, than trying to take Floyd out with 1 shot.

2. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

What I said in the prediction thread, pretty much.

Win early rounds, and shade enough late ones.

3. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Go to the body early. Go to the head late, maybe stay in his cage till the later stage of the 12th round, be unleashed only then.

4. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Use his arsenal of velocity, power and angles early trying to build a lead. Like with most attacking fighters against Floyd i'd advise that he not try too hard too land clean shots. This will just lead to frustration when it can't be done. Just hit whatever is available. Typically when something is working it's best to stick with it but i think maybe it might be wiser for Manny to switch gears at some point. Even with Pacquiao's undpredictable nature Mayweather will still figure him out.If he can turn the tables a bit and make Floyd come to him it could take away his ability to get into a rhythm.

Of course this is predicated on Pacquiao being able to get an early lead. Although Manny is the faster starter of the two, Mayweather doesn't take 3-4 rounds to warm up like Julio Cesar Chavez. Manny simply being aggressive and throwing a lot of punches doesn't guarantee he wins the early rounds.

5. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Yes, and it is worth remembering that he is unlikely to benefit from the "Bang, Pow, Bang, Come lets Bang" commentary of Lampley.

Lampley will have close Manny rounds as even, and even rounds as close Floyd rounds etc.

6. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Force the pace early on... That's his best bet... He's got to attack... It's high risk/high reward

7. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

I don't know about that. HBO is Pacquiao, Showtime is Mayweather. If Lamps is biased, I bet it'll be in favour of Manny.

8. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Given how Floyd looked in the two Maidana fights it's a joke not to give Manny ANY type of chance.

Am I picking Floyd? Yes.

Would Manny winning be a huge upset in my eyes? No.

If Manny can for one night channel in the in-and-out speed he had a few years ago he can certainly at the very LEAST make it a close fight.

The good news is he DID show flashes of that speed against the yuppie bum Algeri, but it's impossible to gauge based off that considering Floyd is 25 light years better than Algeri.

But Floyd looked noticeably slower in both Maidana fights. It'd be very fitting if Floyd's blatant strategy of waiting 6 years for Manny to decline comes back to bite him in the ass, and come to find out he's lost more steps than Manny.

I really can't convey how much I wish Manny beats the ever living shit outta him.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  9. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Why would you want to see the TBEEFAAJ (except for Ali and Jones) get beaten? Hate has no place among boxing fans. We should simply admire fighters for what they do in the ring, who they are outside should be irrelevant. Anyway you say this publicly because on this forum Mayweather-hate is what allows access to the higher echelons of the fightbeat fraternity but in your heart you want this talented ATG to continue his win streak. Anyone who's a fan of Roy Jones HAS to be a fan of Mayweather I don't care what they say.

10. Xplosive

I've NEVER at any point in my life been a fan of Floyd to the degree I was a fan of Roy.

I have many all time favorites, but out of those favorites three rise above all the others in my fandom: Tyson, Roy, and Ali.

Floyd doesn't make my all time top 10 favorite list. Perhaps a top 20, but not top 10.

Doesn't mean I don't still admire his awesome ability, but I haven't been a real Floyd FAN for a good 8 years now.

I think the Hatton fight was around the last time you could consider me a big Floyd fan.

11. Destruction and Mayhem

I hear you. We have the same top 3 by the way.

12. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    What about Nigel Benn?:dunno:

13. mexican wedding shirt

My thoughts exactly.

14. Muzse

Muzse "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    A properly placed shot is all he needs.

The point of everything I've said isn't specifically about the force of the shot it's about placement...thus the Tarver-Jones KO reference.

A high work rate can play into Floyd's hands...Manny will be open for counters. We saw how well a high workrate walking to Floyd worked out for Hatton.

15. Muzse

Home Page:
    Floyd's win over Corrales could be taught in classrooms. In fact, when I coached amateur boxers I used that fight along with MAB's undressing of Hamed as examples of how to use a jab to establish distance and keep your opponent off balance and at the range you want him.

I've also said Floyd is the best fighter I've seen live (attended his fight with N'Dou).

With that said, my main issue with him has always been his fondness for hitting women. Add in the shit attitude he's a guy I want to see get his ass whupped.

BTW...this nonsense of Floyd being 5'8" is bullshit. I'm 5'9" on the dot and he's easily 2 inches shorter than me. That must make Manny 5'5" at best. I've never seen Manny in person but I have seen Marquez (Marquez fought Gainer on the Mayweather-N'Dou undercard) and Marquez is a short guy. He and Manny appear to be the same height but Marquez has a longer reach.

16. Muzse

Home Page:
  17. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Obnoxious Religiosity is very prevalent in today's athletes

18. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

I call it the God Squad

19. Destruction and Mayhem

Word. And that's why he will against Floyd.

God has no place in prize fighting...where the object of the exercise is to bash your opponent's face in while making as much money as possible. These fighters that bring God into this usually always end up getting embarrassed: Hamed and his Muslim chanting pre MAB...Holyfield and his "God gave me a revelation I'll KO Lewis in 3" before their first fight.

20. mexican wedding shirt

Well, rushing in stupidly like Hatton can play into Floyd's hands sure, but nothing seems to play into Floyd's hands as much as a slow paced outside fight.

Patient fighters get picked apart like nobody's business, Floyd is truly in his element then, it gives him the time and room to potshot to his heart's content.

Intelligent or unpredictable pressure troubles him, such as Castillo obviously, Cotto, and the scrubby yet unpredictable pressure of Maidana.

Cotto realised this, and that's why he changed his style to the poor man's Duran impersonation. If he'd have fought a patient, counter punching style, he would have got picked apart with ease.

You might be right, partly because Pacquiao just isn't the same whirlwind fighter he used to be. But if he can muster the energy one more time, I think that's his best shot, forget about power, just score points. Pacquiao can't fight inside, but he is a master of the weird, unpredictable outside pressure he's famous for, with plenty of lateral movement, weird angles etc.

21. mexican wedding shirt

You really think so? It's hard to believe Floyd is under 5'8. As I was discussing with Sly in another thread, he just doesn't look that short, against anyone. He also seems to have at least 2 inches on Pacquiao.

There's a photo of Floyd next to REED, and he looks 5'8 if REED is 5'10.

How tall would you say Marquez is? He's always seemed a hair taller than Pacquiao to me, half an inch or so.

22. Destruction and Mayhem

I have to tell you...this "Castillo troubled Floyd" is a myth.

Castillo was no trouble.

Firstly, HBO broadcast scored the fight incorrectly and most people fell for it. Harold Lederman gave Castillo 2 of the first 5 rounds, which is ludicrous, and then gave Castillo both rounds where there were point deductions (8 and 10)....which was again ludicrous and would have OBVIOUSLY greatly affected the scoring. Floyd won 8 rounds of that fight.

Secondly, Floyd was fighting injured...damaged left shoulder....not faked...evidenced by his need to switch southpaw to protect it (Floyd doesn't switch for the hell of it like some fighters do).

Thirdly, a healthy Floyd easily won the rematch.

As for Cotto. You must have been watching a different fight. Cotto won 3 rounds at best. 9 rounds to 3 isn't trouble...unless we hold Floyd to a ridiculously high standard (Which is understandable given his talent).

I will say though, Pacquaio can give Floyd problems, but it would be his speed and "southpawedness" combination that would do it if anything, not pressure.

23. mexican wedding shirt

Sly, how did you score the first Maidana fight, and Oscar fight?

24. Muzse

Home Page:
    I hear what you're saying, just see it a different way. Manny has the handspeed and movement to get Floyd where he wants him to be. He can do this with feints, moving off to his right to turn Floyd into shots...pretty much the point I made about how Jones handled Toney so easily. Set traps to walk Floyd into shots rather than coming in in a straight line or bouncing around on the outside with your gloves stuck to your face.

Cotto and Manny don't have comparable skills so a counterpunching style for a heavy footed fighter like Cotto is a recipe for disaster. Floyd's style is predicated upon your applying pressure so he can pick you apart with his counters. Manny's best chance to counter the counterpuncher is to get Floyd to lead.

If he can bait Floyd in that closes the distance Manny would need to travel to land his best shot. Plus the momentum of Floyd coming in increases the force of the shot. If he can make Floyd uncomfortable early that will help him down the stretch.

25. Destruction and Mayhem

I can't remember my scoring for the first Maidana fight, but will admit that Floyd didn't look very good at all in that one. I think I scored it 7-5 for Mayweather. Oscar De La Hoya, 8-4 (or 9-3) for Floyd. Oscar was flurrying and hitting nothing but air most of the time.

26. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Force the pace early, and don't get greedy trying to land too many shots.

Pacquiao is going to have to find a way to make Mayweather come out of his shell a bit.

Of course making Mayweather come to you is easier said than done. But flat out work rate won't do it.

The more EXCHANGES Pacquiao can force, the greater the chance he can hurt Mayweather.

It probably won't happen, but I'd love to see Manny pull this one off.

27. Destruction and Mayhem

Not that I expect you to respond to a "floydidiot" like me but I wanted to comment on this nevertheless.

Emanuel Stewart (RIP) observed, quite correctly, that Pacquiao has trouble fighting backwards. That's how JMM won 7 rounds of that first fight and why he always gives Pacquiao problems.

Now Manny did have success outboxing (going backwards at first) an advancing De La Hoya in that fight, this is true, but De La Hoya was advancing without throwing any punches and without countering.

you said: "Floyd's style is predicated upon your applying pressure". That isn't quite true. Floyd's style is effective if a person applies pressure but it is not predicated upon it. His style is equally effective when he applies the pressure himself...just ask Mosley and Judah. In fact, as I said before, this is how he likes to handle fast-handed fighters. Floyd applies intelligent pressure: keeps his guard high and counters constantly making his opponent weary of throwing punches. THIS...is the way I believe Floyd will fight Manny and if he does he wins every single round until the stoppage.

28. Xplosive

I don't think I have to explain to you the difference in talent between Pac and Hatton.

Manny can't be reckless in there, but at the same time, he can't allow Floyd time to think either. Pac always had faster hands than Floyd, but he sure doesn't THINK as quickly as Floyd.

People always talk about Manny's straight left, but Floyd will be focused on trying to neutralize the left hand. It's Pac's RIGHT HOOK which can potentially catch Floyd off guard and hurt him (Corley hurt him with a right hook years ago).

So many different scenarios can play out in this fight. I think the early rounds will be pivotal in establishing who's fight it'll be. A chessmatch favors Floyd, a HIGH-SPEED chessmatch favors Manny.

29. Destruction and Mayhem

Agreed on the right hook. THAT is the punch that bothers Mayweather from a southpaw stance, not teh left hand. Corely as you said and Zab unofficially dropped him with a right hook also. THAT is the punch that Freddy roach is working on to catch Floyd with.

30. Muzse

Home Page:
    You're right...no comparison between Pac and Hatton...point is Manny can't come straight in. He's got to have a multi-pronged attack. Floyd is best at making adjustments and once he's figured out your patterns that's when he turns aggressive and looks to lead. he doesn't go for broke that often early...he picks it up as you're slowing down. He makes you think about throwing at him which gives him the comfort to lead.

Try to stay off to the side, never stand directly in front of Floyd, don't move straight back (like I pointed out in my analysis yesterday)...use feints. Those are things Manny can and will need to do.

Yes Manny's right hook is lethal but again...how does he land it? Doesn't have the reach to leap in to throw it...can't start a shot that far away from Floyd.

To use your line, "I don't think I have to explain the difference in talent between Pac and Corley"

Believe me there is no one here that wants Floyd KTFO more than me.