Unbroken review

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, May 6, 2015.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

[​IMG]

Unbroken I was pleasantly surprised by how entertaining this movie turned out to be keeping in mind that, after all, was based on a true story about an American athlete who endured a lot of punishment and torture at a Japanese prisoner camp during the second World War and also by the fact of who directed this film, actress Angelina Jolie. Honestly I was expecting a mediocre film with a lot of in-your-face left wing propaganda. Instead, I was treated with a well crafted, visually striking, emotionally charged old fashioned story about the son of immigrants who will never give up nor let the circumstances defeat him be it at sports, war, marooned in the sea or as the target of a sadistic Japanese officer who tried to break his spirit by breaking his body. Jolie executes a flawless direction worthy of a young Spielberg in this, her second directorial film. How good is this film? It shits on all the 8 Best Film nominated movies of 2014 and deserved more recognition than it got. 8.5/10

2. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Hey Panchy did you ever see the Railway Man? Similar type movie and was very good IMO. I think you should peep it. I'll check this one out sooner or later. My guess is, it isn't coming to the theaters out here in Japan lol.

3. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    I didn't watch it because I read that Angelina Jolie didn't include how he became a born-again Christian and how Christianity was a central part of his life after the war when he became addicted to drugs and alcohol. They don't mention how he teamed up with Billy Graham to spread the word around the country in the world. That was a huge part of his life that they pretty much ignored.

4. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    This movie has only a 51% fresh rating on RottenTomatoes.

5. Panchyprsss

While it is true all that was left out, the film focus was not to tell Louie Zamperini's whole life, but the passage of his life as the phenomenal athlete who was captured by the Japanese. At the end most of that is recounted in the epilogue as well as a cool video of real life Louie age 80 running carrying the Olympic Torch in Japan! It is a very good movie like it is. It is like Chariots of Fire: there was more about Erik Lydell's life as a missionary and martyr in China, but the emphasis in the film was the Olympic Games he competed in. And as it stands, Chariots of Fire is still a great film.

6. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    RT gives it 51% tho. That is not something that pushes me to go see this.

7. Panchyprsss

Critics were divided: either they loved it or hated it. No middle ground. The first part of the film with the aerial sequence was plain awesome. The sea marooned sequence is powerful. I could go on, but you get the point. I think that the main beef of many critics was with Jolie herself, not the film itself as she is so successful and getting media attention all the time. I guess many resent that this 'diva' dared to direct a World War II visually striking emotionally charged drama as her sophomore film instead of an indie film about PMS females. How dare she get the cake and eat it too?

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  8. Panchyprsss

71% of the audience liked it and the film was a hit (grossed $161 million worldwide so far as it has not opened yet in many countries). Like I said before, the critics were divided on this one with the more respectable critics liking it, but the majority of 'wannabe' online critics hating it. I give more credibility to a positive review by TIME Richard Corliss than to a negative review by IMPULSE GAMER Damien Straker.

9. Panchyprsss

Some people are even pitching for Angelina Jolie to direct Marvel Films 'Captain Marvel' based on her work in 'Unbroken'. Not sure if she is even interested. I'll keep you guys posted.