Looking back, how good was Roy Jones Jr really?

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by esk59, May 9, 2015.

1. esk59

esk59 WBC Champion

Home Page:
    He was absolutely spectacular. He was so mother fucking good that Mayweather talking shit recently made me think.

Hold on a sec as good as Floyd thinks he is and as good as Stephen A Smith describes him being a magician and all that crap, he's nowhere near as good as the hype. But you know what, Roy was as good as they hype Mayweather now.

Let me explain what I mean. Imagine a casual boxing fan that has never seen Mayweather fight and due to the hype stumbles upon one of his fights. He's going to internally wonder what the fuck all the hype was about? He's going to have to think hard and pay careful attention to what people are seeing that he doesn't see to try to make sense of this supposed "greatness".

Now imagine if this same casual fan made his way to a Mayweather fight and Floy actually fought like Roy used to? Do you think they would be wondering what all the hype was about? Would an expert need to put it in perspective so they understand what they're watching?

If you saw a RJJ fight you were blown away and that was it. He was fucking amazing and a lot better than Floyd P4P or however you want to slice it.

Imagine if RJJ fought Pacuiqao on PPV with 5 millions buys and a whole lot of people watching got to see his superman skills. How great would that have been for boxing? How many new boxing fans would there be? How much renewed enthusiasm would there be from all existing boxing fans?

Instead that huge audience got to see the boring ass Floyd and I'm sure they were bewildered when Jim Lampley and Max Kellerman gushed all over his brilliance when all he was doing was running and holding and stinking up the place.

How many new fans will this latest fight convert? How much enthusiasm for existing boxing fans did it bring?

RJJ was amazing at his prime and a lot better fighter than Floyd is now or has ever been. He's better P4P, better in every way. He's a better human being too.

Just looking back, thought I would share.

2. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

Floyd is like Lennox. Boring to watch most of the time, content to win on points, safety-first style. These types of guys won't be popular with casual fans. The key with Floyd is that he has a personality...one which everyone hates. Plus he has a history. People long for the day when he is brought down.

3. loadedgloves

loadedgloves "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Basically, you're saying Roy was flashier. Flashier != better.

4. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

May as well get this one of the way:

If you're not in love with Mayweather's "brilliance" it means you only want to watch Gatti-Ward fights and tough man contests.

5. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Problem with Roy, is after he beat Hopkins and Toney, he never really sought out a true rival. When one eventually came around, he got embarrassed by a guy who had his jaw broken by Eric Harding.

Roy gamed the system for years, just like Floyd, but on a smaller scale.........and when he finally decided he wanted to take on all comers (because he had no choice anymore from a payday perspective), it was too late.

6. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

Floyd to me is still great to watch, I get what he is saying as far as Roy was super exciting but Floyd is hardly like Lemmon

Lemmon was SUPER BORIng

7. esk59

esk59 WBC Champion

Home Page:
    As much as I dislike Lewis, he was a real fighter. A lot more exciting fighter than Floyd. That is a huge statement considering how much I despise watching Lewis's boring bouts.

After Floyd, I think I miss Lewis.

8. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    I still don't think Roy was as good as some people think he was.

9. loadedgloves

imagine if Pacquiao fought Floyd on PPV with 5 million PPV buys? he'd lose, because he's an inferior fighter to Floyd

10. LOK

Funny that some think Lennox is more excited than floyd, I think Lennox is the worst hw champ ever

11. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

Lennox had many more entertaining fights than Floyd.

12. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

Lennox needed to fire his PR guy more than anything. It's unfortunate that nobody in his camp ever helped him develop a character. He should've adopted England as his country instead of the whole "I'm a citizen of the world" bullsh*t :lol: :lol:

13. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

When Floyd was at his peak, and Jones was fading, NOBODY on EARTH considered Floyd better. That should tell you something.

Floyd's outstanding longevity has fooled some into thinking he was actually better than Jones.

If length of prime means more than better prime, then I guess Virgil Hill was a better fighter than Donald Curry........

Roy from 94-00 was better than Floyd Mayweather ever was, and no one can convince me otherwise.

14. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

Yup, Roy was limited and had no chin. It's unfortunate that it took that many years for him to be exposed. But when you handpick cops, security guards, sanitation workers as your opposition then you can have a pretty good and long career.

15. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

Floyd even now is not that good. He just hasn't fought anybody of any quality except for a one-handed Pacman.

16. LOK

Matter of opinion
    I was entertained when het got knocked out by Rahman

17. Xplosive

Please don't compare Lummox and Floyd. Floyd was more compelling to watch on talent alone.

People must be forgetting that Lewis-Tua made May-Pac look like Corrales-Castillo.

18. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Floyd is ahead of Roy in all-time rankings. Longer career, better opposition overall, more beaten top-10 contenders etc.

in his prime Roy was the most impressive looking fighter I have ever seen, but does that mean he was better than Floyd I don't know

19. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I think Roy was better. His performance against Toney IMO trumps Floyd's top performances. Roy's superior talent and natural gifts trump Floyd's skill and IQ.

Floyd is one of the best fighters I've ever seen, no doubt. But Roy was a legit PHENOM. At his peak, truly one of the greatest fighters of all time. And though he too started to pick and choose after a while, his wins over Toney and Hopkins are better wins than any of Floyd's best wins.

20. Pascals Wager

Pascals Wager Undisputed Champion

Lennox was a more exciting (he had more exciting fights) and agressive fighter than PBF, & was also more prepared to to take on all-comers.
    RJJ was not as prepared to take on all-comers as Lennox, but was a more exciting fighter than PBF.
    PBF was not prepared to take on all-comers, & is not an exciting fighter. I can't remember a fighter who fights so little when he fights. He IS, however, the smartest fighter of the three in terms of risk-minimisation.
    IN ADDITION to the above he is a contemptable human being.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  21. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Roy is certainly one of the most unusual fighters of all time... There's been fighters who try to emulate his strange style but they don't last because without his speed, reflexes and power, it's useless... We won't see another that fights like him at the top levels of the sport, he was one of a kind

As far as "excitement" or "entertainment" goes, a lot of that is in the eye of the beholder... Neither Roy, Floyd nor Lennox could be deemed not guilty of having been very boring more than once... All three have been exciting as well... Floyd was dreadfully boring last weekend but he was a pleasure against Canelo... Roy had dreadful matches but he could also be very entertaining (his execution of the disgusting Paz) ... Lennox could be awful to watch (Tua) but also a lot of fun (Golota)

22. loadedgloves

Lennox in the Rahman rematch was a killer. He was out for blood and that's about as good a heavyweight that's ever lived. I was pulling for Rahman in that fight too.. American, Muslim, and about as nice & humble a guy as you'll ever meet. Gotta give Lennox his props, though.

23. LOK

Funny because Rahman was super motivated for either first fight then got cocky. He turned down multi MILLIONS from HBO saying that "ill just knock him out again"

24. loadedgloves

Yep. Turned down a multi-fight contract in the hopes that he'd be worth more after the rematch. Bad move.

25. Xplosive

Jones unreal handspeed is a big reason he was so compelling.

The guy would let his hands go, and I'd literally just sit there shaking my head wondering how in the HELL could any human be so fucking fast.

26. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

It wasn't just his hands, his whole body moved faster than anyone I've ever seen in a boxing ring.

27. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    I'd far rather watch Floyd than Roy or Lewis

28. Xplosive

Indeed.

29. Xplosive

Floyd had a few duds early on his career, but for the MOST part he was an exciting fighter from 130-140.

Then he moved up to 147-154, and started turning in more duds than exciting fights.

30. Xplosive

Unless you're a text book purist, I can't understand rather watching young Floyd over young Roy. As Cdogg said, Roy had his own style that was never seen before or since. That alone made him fun to watch, along with the fact that he had the one thing Floyd never truly had - fight ENDING power.