Avengers dominates again, Hot Pursuit flounders

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, May 10, 2015.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

[​IMG]

Avengers: Age of Ultron
    easily remained at the top of the domestic box office with $77.2 million and becoming now the 2nd most successful second weekend grosser of All Time, elbowing 'Avatar' which had $75.6 million in its sophomore weekend. Ultron has now grossed $312.9 million domestically and is also the second fastest film to reach the $300 million mark. While this second Avengers movie might not duplicate its predecessor's final domestic numbers of $623.3 million, the foreign numbers will more than compensate for that: the film is holding extremely well overseas in the markets it already opened three weeks ago adding this weekend $68 million for a current overseas total of $562.4 million or $874.9 million. And the film has not opened yet in Marvel-friendly countries like Mexico, Japan and China (in China alone the projections is that the film will gross over $100 million by the end of its run). So 'Ultron' might not match the first film success domestically, but it looks like it has a good chance to duplicate its final global numbers at the end of its run.

Failing to meet its modest projections of an $18 million debut, the Reese Whiterspoon/Sofia Vergara road comedy Hot Pursuit was stopped in its tracks with a lame $13.3 million in the second spot. The film was aimed as a Marvel counterprograming Mother's Day female alternative, but its poor reception was probably due to its overwhelming bad reviews (it only snatched a 6% rotten in RT).

Age of Adeline remained firmly in the third spot with $5.6 million. Furious 7 descends from #2 to #4 with $5.2 million. Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 took $5.1 million in the fifth spot. The critically acclaimed scifi thriller Ex Machina added more screens this weekend and got a 51% increase revenue with $3.4 million. But what would be a summer weekend without a new flop? Bombing miserably in its debut in the 16 spot, Jack Black's new film The D Train should be retitle D Train Wreck as it only managed to gross $469,000 in 1009 screens or a three days per screen average of $465...the same amount Ultron sells in popcorn per hour.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  2. Panchyprsss

Avengers: Age of Ultron hit the $1 billion mark worldwide and is in hot pursuit of Furious 7 record of most profitable of the year. For that the Marvel sequel needs to gross an additional $500 million.

3. r o o s t e r

r o o s t e r "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I knock motherfuckers out
    watched Avengers 2 in a "4-D" screening in Hong Kong.

thought there were lots of things about it which were really really well-done. Ultron was an excellent, interesting villain - great writing and direction, great acting from Spader. will watch the movie again just to see his scenes.

the whole bit with Hawkeye's safe-house, and the thing about the team maturing and moving on with their lives, really good.

good acting pretty much all-round - the Olsen sister and Kick-ass had me thinking they were actually Eastern European until I googled them afterward.

for me, though, this did feel like a turning point for the Marvel movies. although whedon did well in making it new and fresh and different to the first movie, it seems stuck in the same arcs and the same sort of tone as we've already seen in the other Iron Man/Captain America/1st Avengers movie, all of which were good. think it's just marvel overload, they've had a good run but it's just getting samey. Birdman's satire of the superhero genre may have been kind of the death-knell (although overall I think several of the marvel movies are better than birdman). I just can't see how more avengers and captain America movies can be as good as the series has generally been, without getting really repetitive.

4. r o o s t e r

r o o s t e r "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I knock motherfuckers out
    and, after watching this movie, I realised: CGI has finally come of age, and it actually does what it was designed to do - be convincing. they've got two almost entirely CGI characters - Ultron and the Hulk - but I can't remember getting distracted or disappointed by how they were realised at any point in the movie. they come across pretty much as convincing as the other characters.

a step above the whole Jar Jar Binks generation of CGI

5. Panchyprsss

Ultron while entertaining, is an unneeded sequel made only to continue milking the franchise as it works more like a two hours teaser trailer for upcoming films like Captain Murica Civil War, Thor: Ragnarok & The Avengers Infinity War.

6. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    The problem is that nothing is amazing anymore. I am not fascinated by the SFX anymore. It all looks great, but ok. The new car smell is gone. Now you need to make a hell of a good movie.