A Fistful of Reviews

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

A Fistful of Reviews

Just quick reviews of a bunch of movies I watched recently. Many were old movies I rewatched again:

Inside Out this is a very entertaining film, not great, but nonethless good family fun film. there is however a scene where one character meets its demise which was a ‘Bambi mother death-like’ in the tragic department which will have younglings (and many adults) in tears. 8/10

Fruitvale Station Just to remind myself how good an actor Michael B. Jordan is after the backlash he got for playing Johnny Storm. Powerful drama, one that could have been turned into a preachy political cartoon with PC shoving down our throats, but in the capable hands of first time young director Ryan Coogler turns out into a very realistic human portrayal of the tragic last 24 hours of Oscar Grant. Even though we know how this will end because we know the story from the news, Coogler masterfully keep us guessing from scene to scene. It was a disgrace that this film was ignored as Best Film by the Academy awards. I am very intrigued on how Coogler and Jordan’s second collaboration, Creed, turns out. If successful, Ryan Coogler deserves to tackle a bigger budget film. Are you listening, Marvel? 8.5/10

Furious 7 Very noisy, over the top Road runner cartoon action where the main characters fall from airplanes, buildings, mountain clifts, balcony...without a single scratch. The plot revolves around...some guy...something about...revenge and...dammit this freaking film had no plot! :lol: Visually striking. Highly forgettable. Made over $1.5 billion worldwide ($400 million in China alone!). Expect 7 more dumb sequels. 3/10

Gordon’s War Of all the films from the blaxploitation films early 70‘s era, this one has endured the test of time better than the more popular ‘Shaft’ and ‘Superfly’. Sure, like those two it has dated cloth fashions and music, but it has lesser slang that its meaning could be lost to younger generations. It also has a straight forward plot and action that doesn’t take detours like Shaft & Superfly do. Gordon (Paul Winfield), a green beret Vietnam War vet returns home to find that his young wife died of drug overdose and that his neighborhood has been taken over by pushers, junkies and pimps. He recruits three vets friends to unleash urban warfare on those criminals to get the dope out of the streets of Harlem. 7/10

Coffy The movie that made Pam Grier a star isn’t so memorable. Grier’s character, Coffy, is not developed enough for us to care that much about her. All we know is that she is a nurse who is so pissed that her teenager sister OD and now is vegetable that she goes on a one woman hit squad against all the drug dealers and pimps that she can find. For this she will inexplicably whores herself with those very same guys before unleashing her vengeance (pleasure before business?). Grier has no a single inch of shyness to undress for the camera and you kind of look forward for the next nude scene. Pam Grier shines bright in her two dimensional role in an otherwise awful film that at times turns funny in its political incorrectness. 4/10

Insurgent the sequel to Divergent continues where the last one ended and while there is more things going and more action, it is just not as good as the first one. A few days after watching it I can barely remember anything about it. 5/10

Now is you turn...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  2. Panchyprsss

I was going to add The Last Days of Disco the 1998 movie that bored me to death when I first watched it back in the day. I started watching it and again it put me to sleep and it was only 4:30PM!! This is what I found so wrong about the film: EVERYTHING!!! First the film is supposedly set in the year 1980 officially the end of the 70's disco era and the fashions were not that different from 1978. Still everybody looks straight out of the 90s. The film tosses classic 70's disco songs out of timeline context to remind us this is a disco era...but no one has a fucking clue how to dance disco!!!! More 90's-like dance moves passing as disco. The discotheque the main characters sneak in is supposed to be some sort of Studio 54 rip-off, but fails in putting way too much illumination on the dance room killing the atmosphere. The characters were uninteresting, particularly the out-of-context yuppie guys. Chloe Sevigny has such an ordinary uninteresting face and looked bored for the most part. A young Kate Beckinsale surprisingly looked less attractive at that age that when she got older. Definitely she got better as she aged. Here she is just Chloe's best friend. The film has NOTHING to do with disco except that the women met those guys at a disco at the beginning and so and so...zzzzzzz crappy film. 2/10

[​IMG]

3. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I disagree with insurgent. That movie is at least a 7/10. It was very entertaining.

4. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Mazerunner 7.5/10

5. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Train wreck was a funny movie.

6. Panchyprsss

It is an average forgettable film

7. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Just watched the old "Grey Gardens" documentary about the two Edith Beales, Jackie Kennedy's cousin and aunt respectively

Fascinatingly strange

8/10

8. Panchyprsss

I agree. Amy Schumer is very funny and the film works in the same kind of raunchy humor as 'The Bridesmaids'. Predictable generic plot that could have failed with a different lead actress. This is Amy Schumer star making vehicle and she delivers the goods. 7.5/10

9. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

'Furious 7' was insanely good. :scratcher:

10. Panchyprsss

A fistful of more Panchy reviews:

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials I'll be damned, this was a good sequel! It is not a lame attempt to capitalize on the best aspects of the first film, but like 'Empire Strikes Back' it just continues the story of the characters without revisiting what people loved about the first one. And like 'Empire' it is just a middle point: it has no intro beginning for the newbies and ends in a cliffhanger. I liked this one a lot even though its characters remain as unengaging and two dimensional as in the first, but the action is good and keeps you hooked. 7.5/10

San Andreas I watched this one just for the thrills and it didn't disappoint. This is a mindless popcorn fun disaster movie. You know that since it stars The Rock, not Tom Cruise. As rollercoaster ride it delivers the goods (yeah lets get that yummy Alexandra Daddario in shorts and a wet t-shirt! lets have our characters running on crumbling building floors, dams & bridges only to escape and survive by a hair at the last second! Lets have a HUGE tidal wave hit the building some our characters are seeking refuge and STILL survive! 7/10

La Bamba
    Ok I have to admit this: I had never bothered to watch this movie before. I had no interest at all in the life of Richie Valens and Lou Diamond Phillips was never one of my favorite actors. That said I watched it with mi familia and we all liked it a lot. The real revelation here was Esai Morales as Richie's brother, Bob. One of the best biopics of a singer's ascend to fame ever filmed. 8/10

Mean Girls
    rewatched this classic again. Like 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' it has multiple repeat viewing value and remains as funny as when it was first released. It also saddens me knowing how great and beautiful was Lindsay Lohan and how much potential for greatness she had only to became the media gossip punchline. 8.5/10

We Are The Millers rewatched it again. It was good the first time, but not so much on repeated viewings. 7/10

Trick R Treat another repeat viewing of this very underrated horror film. IMO the best Halloween themed film that truly terrifies (ask my daughters who could handle Michael Myers, Freddy Krueger, Pinhead and Hannibal Lecter but were shaking in fear while covering their eyes with this one when I let them watch it on Halloween night!) 8.5/10

[​IMG]

11. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

San Andreas was a TERRIBLE movie.

12. Panchyprsss

If you were expecting 'The Poseidon Adventure', yes, is terrible, but if you liked '2012' you will be entertained.

13. Xplosive

I think 2012 was better. Which is saying a lot, cause 2012 wasn't quality either.

San Andreas was The Day After Tomorrow type bad.

14. Panchyprsss

'The Day After Tomorrow' was better than '2012' which originally was conceived as a 'When Worlds Collide' remake as was 'Armageddon', but then was rewritten as a disaster movie to capitalize on the then popular 2012 Mayan Calendar prophecies (there was never such thing except in some gringo's imagination).

15. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Yeah I agree. I don't know what the fuck X is talking about. San Andreas was freaking good and so was TDAT and while both have replay value 2012 is an unwatchable disaster of a film. (pun intended)

16. Xplosive

Both of are crazy. San Andreas was laughably bad. I know that disaster movies aren't required to have Oscar-worthy acting, or realistic plots, but my GODDDD the acting was horrible and the plot was retarded.

The previews fooled the Hell outta me. I saw the first preview, and thought that maybe this would be the best disaster movie since Deep Impact. But NOPPEEE, it was garbage!

17. Panchyprsss

Whatever, man. Deep Impact had Morgan Freeman. This one starred The Rock. What you expected? As pure mindless popcorn it entertains.

18. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

I think your expectations were too high. Mine were pretty low and I enjoyed it way more then I expected to, but then the three people I went with also enjoyed it. But that's not even the issue, you're actually saying you like 2012, and that is just unexcusable.

19. Panchyprsss

I like '2012'. I knew I had to park my brains outside the movie screen and bring my inner child to enjoy it and I did. [​IMG]