Rank these Junior Welterweights in terms of who beats who!

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Destruction and Mayhem, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

De La Hoya,
    Mayweather
    Whitaker
    Chavez
    Taylor
    Pryor
    Pacquiao
    Tszyu

2. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Whitaker beat 'em all....

Pryor beat all except...Whitaker...

3. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Hard to Say...

REED Would Lean Towards Pryor or Sweet Pea @ the Top, but Shit Gets DICEY from There...

For Example, REED Thinks Pacquiao Would BEAT Chavez, yet Possibly LOSE to Taylor...REED is Inclined to Put DeLa 3rd on the List, but REED Could See Taylor Beating Him Too (Think DeLa-Mosley I & it AIN'T Hard to Fathom)...Yet Taylor LOST to Chavez, Obviously...

Floyd Would Be Somewhere in the 3rd-4th-5th Slot...

The Only Thing REED is CERTAIN Of is Pryor or Whittaker Being 1st and Tszyu Finishing Last...

REED:shadow:

4. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

There is not a Rican in that list so I am not participating in this discussion. :nono:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  5. Destruction and Mayhem

Cotto would have been beaten by everyone in this list, even Tszyu.

6. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

This is complicated question because some of these matchups are based on styles. For instance, I think Floyd beats Chavez at 140, and I think prime Chavez beats DLH at 140. However, I could see DLH beating Floyd at 140.

Likewise, I could see Pac beating Chavez at 140, yet losing to Taylor, whom Chavez beat. So it's not an easy answer, but I'll rank them anyway.

I'd say:

1. Whitaker: Only had one fight at 140, but looked brilliant against Pineda. I just think he's the best fighter outta all these guys.

2. Pryor

3. Floyd

4. Pac

5. Chavez

6. DLH

Then finally, you have Tszyu. No disrespect to Tszyu, but he loses to every guy on this list.

7. Xplosive

We're on the same page.

I think MOST of us can agree that Whitaker is the best of the bunch, and Tszyu is the least of the bunch.

All of the guys in-between are debatable.

8. Xplosive

Put THE Duran on this list, and they all lose.

9. Destruction and Mayhem

Lawd have mercy.

One second I hear that Duran was inconsistent above 135lbs...to explain away every embarrassing defeat...but now when it suits a Duran fan he beats Whitaker, Pryor, Mayweather etc at 140lbs.

The mind boggles...

10. Destruction and Mayhem

I have no doubt That Whitaker, Pryor and Mayweather beat Duran at 140lbs and probably Oscar De La Hoya as well.

Sure Duran beat Leonard at 147lbs...yada yada yada....but shit happens in boxing from time to time. Leonard and Duran fight 10 times at 147lbs and Duran wins ONCE!

11. Xplosive

I'm probably THE biggest Pryor fan on this forum. Duran would have fucked Pryor up. You simply can't fight in the style of Pryor and beat a prime Duran. There's a pretty sizable gap in terms of skills and defense between Pryor and Duran.

12. Xplosive

De La Homo doesn't beat Duran at ANY weight.

13. Xplosive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKXvnCh3TQA

This is an example of how Duran would have looked at 140, since he actually fought at 140 in this fight. This fight was during his lightweight reign, but it was a non-title fight. The full fight isn't on Youtube, but he looked brilliant the entire fight against a credible guy who went the distance with Benitez and Kalule.

14. Destruction and Mayhem

I could kinda agree with this...but I see it as an even fight. But the slick boxers like Whitaker and Mayweather were always Duran's Kryptonite. De La Hoya would be TROUBLE for Duran also...with his height, reach, speed and power.

Again...you can't base Duran's prowess based on just one fight. Buster Douglas looked lik e a killer against Tyson, but would you really pick Douglas Against Ali, Holmes, Foreman etc? Slightly unfair comparison, yes, but it can be argued that Leonard was overconfident and fought the wrong fight and that Duran was unusually inspired.

15. Xplosive

Only YOU base Duran on just the first Leonard fight. First off, the Leonard fight wasn't even Duran's best performance at 147, IMO. I prefer the Palomino fight.

Duran reigned for 6 consecutive years over a solid lightweight division, and did so in dominant fashion, avenging his one loss.... TWICE over.

At higher weights, especially above 147, he had flaws, but at 135 he was basically the perfect fighter. Speed, power, skill, great defense, UNREAL stamina, versatile, high ring IQ, every damn thing.

16. Destruction and Mayhem

Duran had a great style of fighting and was always exciting and so I see why he has such loyal fans (fanatics)...but the fact is he looked bad against Benitez, Hearns, Lang for a reason...they were pure boxers...and a boxing Leonard in the rematch made him quit.

Whitaker, Mayweather would make him look bad. Duran did better against guys that went to war with him.

17. Destruction and Mayhem

I agree with the 135lb fighter (except he wasn't perfect...got dropped a few times and lost to DeJesus who himself lost to a few average guys). Just saying that above that weight he was rather beatable.

18. Xplosive

If Floyd were to beat Duran, his best argument is at 154.

Floyd is NOT beating Duran at 135. And he's not beating the Montreal/Palomino Duran at 147.

19. Xplosive

BACK ON TOPIC, as I was joking bringing Duran into it...

Although Tszyu probably loses to everyone on this list, he has an outside chance against Pac and Taylor.

20. Destruction and Mayhem

We will never know. and I respect your opinion. But it's about styles.

Foreman looked GREAT against Norton and Frazier. Ali looked bad against those guys (especially Norton). There's a reason why Foreman was a heavy favourite to win against Ali. However, if anyone took the time to analyze the styles they would have realized that Ali was taller and rangier than Frazier and tougher than Norton, harder to hit than both and virtually impossible to knockout. So, logically Foreman was always going to have a very hard time again Ali...but of course hindsight is 20/20.

So back to Mayweather vs Duran. Duran looked like a monster at 147lbs in those two fights that you mentioned. Mayweather looked so so against Zab Judah, Baldomir, Ricky Hatton. But what you have to realize is that Mayweather hardly got hit and could keep up the movement, the sharp counters and the defense for the full 12 rounds. He'd also be taller than Duran and a significantly longer reach and he'd use that becase Mayweather also always fought tall. Duran would not enjoy the same punch output against Floyd who is constantly moving, slipping and sliding and countering.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Mayweather would beat Duran at any weight above light weight and would split fights with him even at lightweight. Of course we'll never know unless...when we get to heaven, God allows us to see the outcomes of Mythical Matchups. ;)

21. Destruction and Mayhem

Tzsyu has a definite chance against Taylor. Taylor was hitable and fragile.

Pacquiao-Whitaker is a close fight IMO. Why am I the only one to realize this?

22. Xplosive

Because everybody else knows it's a damn joke.

Whitaker beats Manny with room to spare on the cards. ESPECIALLY if we're talking the 89-93 Whitaker.

23. Panchyprsss

:laugh100:

24. Panchyprsss

Duran never fought at 140 lbs. He jumped from 135 to 147 skipping 140.

25. Xplosive

BTW, to say Meldrick Taylor was fragile is absurd.

26. Destruction and Mayhem

He's fragile for a top fighter. Obviously, he's Marvin Hagler compared with the scrubs.

27. Xplosive

False. Taylor wasn't fragile period. Not until AFTER Norris stopped him. By then he was shot, and became fragile.

Taylor had a solid chin.

28. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

Chavez stops Pryor. Pryor is a real threat to Floyd. Tszyu has a real chance against Pac, Floyd and Taylor. Chavez has a real chance against P.

29. Xplosive

1. I don't think Tszyu has a realistic chance of beating Floyd. I could see him posing Floyd with some problems early, but I see Floyd pulling away down the stretch. Floyd was overrated at 147-154, but at 140 I think he was pretty awesome. Pryor I agree has a realistic chance of beating Floyd. I'd favor The Hawk, in fact.

2. Chavez loses to Pea at any weight. 135, 140, or 147. Pea was just better.

I disagree with Chavez beating Pryor, but it's not something I'd really argue about. Chavez would have a chance, but I think Pryor would be too quick for him and could withstand his late surges.

Thing about Chavez is, he was a lot better at 135 than he was at 140. At 135, the only lightweights in history who beat him without question are Duran and Whitaker. At 140, there's more guys in history who beat him.

Sly, you should have put Antonio Cervantes on this list. There's a couple of these guys who a prime Cervantes would beat.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  30. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    chavez wouldve hammered whitaker if not for that racist ref allowing whitaker to hit him with blatant low blows