UFC Fight Night: Hendricks vs. Thompson

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by mw314159, Feb 7, 2016.

1. mw314159

mw314159 Undisputed Champion

Wonderboy is fucking awesome. The best karate fighter in MMA today, and his nickname is a Tenacious D song.

This wasn't the best card without Werdum / Velasquez, but the main event was fun. I've never seen Johny Hendricks dominated and destroyed by a striker like that.

2. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

That was impressive from Wonderboy. I tought he was a bit of a fraud, but he showed he's the real deal. Rest of the card was shit, which is starting to be a recurring theme lately

3. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Never saw or heard of wonderboy but I said Hendricks was in trouble when I saw his training camp looked like he was preping himself for a strongman competition. To quote Floyd Mayweather, this is a skills game and it showed as Hendricks whose never been the best offensive guy in the world (and an even worse defensive one) looked completely lost tonight.

4. mw314159

This might be a little premature, but could Thompson be the next champ? He just destroyed the guy who retired GSP and had 2 basically even fights with Robbie Lawler. It wasn't a lucky punch or a lucky kick. Thompson just dominated every second of that fight and systematically destroyed him with some of the most dynamic striking I've seen in the UFC.

5. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

I think so. I've never been a fan or impressed with Lawler who looked pretty average against a guy with good offensive skills in Conduit and likewise I've never been a fan of Conduit either. Thompson seems like he could be special and the kind of champion this division could use. I'd pull for Thompson over all 3 of those pretenders.

6. mw314159

I've been a Condit fan for years. Robbie Lawler has been great for the welterweight division too, putting on amazing fights almost every time out. I'd probably pick Wonderboy over both of them, the way he looked tonight and in his last fight against Ellenberger. I don't see anyone at welterweight outstriking Thompson right now.

I wonder who will get the next title shot. Condit deserves a rematch after that bad decision, but Thompson deserves a title shot after this kind of performance.

7. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Id pick thompson agaisnt both. He seemed to be on another level striking wise, and both are primarly strikers

8. BOSS

BOSS TBD

I am a big Robbie fan but I think Woner B would make it target practice and stop Robbie under 3.

9. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
  10. mw314159

Thompson was 57-0 in kickboxing. Now he's 12-1 in MMA. I'd love to see a rematch with Matt Brown now that he's learned how to stop takedowns.

If I was in charge, I'd give Thompson the next title fight against Lawler. Condit / Woodley 2 for the #1 contender spot. Nick Diaz / Matt Brown and Maia / Hendricks to figure out who's getting closer to the title shot after that. Rory should be up there too. He's only lost to Condit and Lawler.

11. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    Nick Diaz should be nowhere near a title shot imo. He hasn't fought at 170 in years and though it has no bearing on his standing at ww, his fight vs Silva was an embarrassment.

12. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

He was 57-0 in kickboxing but who did he fought ? I don't follow the scene really closely but from what I gathered he was pretty much a bum beater

13. Jeffy

Jeffy Undisputed Champion

Lets see what happens when he fights someone with a good ground game who actively tries to get it to the ground.

14. Jeffy

Btw. The Black Beast = the next UFC HW champ

15. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    He should fight The Predator.

16. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    The guy who got beat by Mitrione 5 fights ago?

17. Jeffy

Hes a different fighter now.

18. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Is this the same guy who lost to Shawn Jordan 3 fights ago?

19. Jeffy

Yes, but that was just unlucky. I heard he just learned a mean gogoplata.

20. Anthony

Motherfucker
    oh okay.

21. mw314159

Hendricks is the best wrestler at welterweight, and he couldn't get Thompson down. Thompson has been training with wrestlers like Chris Weidman. He's greatly improved his takedown defense over the last few years.

Maybe Hector Lombard would have a better chance of getting it to the ground.

22. mw314159

[​IMG]

This knockout was funny. You don't expect to see a guy as fat and strong as Shawn Jordan throw these kinds of kicks.

23. Jeffy

Lol talk about pinpoint accuracy!

24. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Glad I got to watch this fight without knowing what happened, but as it was the replay version, I knew it was going to be a short fight. Luckily, either guy was capable of ending it quickly.

It ended up being a man's version of Holm/Rousey. They parallel each other in many ways.

Thompson did lose a kickboxing match, but they did some twists and turns and got it changed. He was on tv a lot back with that Chuck Norris promotion that had the saucer shaped ring.
    Despite that loss, Thompson was a stud back then and generally dominated. Hendricks fell in love with his standup, but, like Rousey, you just have to understand that you aren't at the elite level compared to people who specialized in it and dominated in it pre-mma career.

Excellent win for Thompson, especially getting up from the takedown.

25. mw314159

Hendricks fell in love with his hands, but he was actually knocking out top fighters with his power. He was competitive standing with guys like Robbie Lawler and GSP. Ronda never had that kind of success with her boxing.

Thompson was just on a different level. Hendricks looked clueless when he realized he couldn't get the fight to the ground.

I should go back and watch his kickboxing fights. From what I've seen in the UFC, I don't think anyone can outstrike Thompson at welterweight. If he can keep the fight standing, he'll probably win.

26. mw314159

Nick Diaz should get a title shot if he proves himself again at welterweight. Nick Diaz / Matt Brown would be awesome. Both guys give it everything they have to finish the fight, no stalling or coasting. Just a pure fight where they go all out until someone wins or loses. Nick doesn't deserve a title shot right now, but he should get one if he beats Brown and maybe 2 other top 10 guys. I don't see him losing unless it's to wrestlers who will hold him down for the decision, or if it's the greatest of all time striker in Anderson Silva.