Deadpool slays records with $135 million debut!

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

[​IMG]

Give mad props and high fives to Ryan Reynolds. No matter what you think about his acting talents, the guy pushed for years trying to convince 20th Century Fox to do a spin-off Deadpool film and even helped put together that cgi short that went viral online which was what convinced the studio to greenlight the film but with a very modest $58 million budget (almost exactly what 'Avengers Age of Ultron' spend on marketing alone). In other words the Studio thought it was a risky film and tried to keep it as safe as possible. But also they gave the makers freedom enough to make it as faithful as possible and result is that now the little film Hollywood was reluctant to make has now one of the biggest openings ever. At $135 million gross for the three days weekend and a expected $150 million by Presidents Day Monday, the R rated superhero film has done many good things: (1)proved that audiences WANT their superheroes to be faithful to its source in costumes, characters, dialogue etc
    (2) that comicbook R-rated films can break box office records of over the $100 million mark if it is the right property
    (3) resurrected the career of Ryan Reynolds after it looked like he was headed to the 'where-is-he-now?' list
    (4) will test how DC's dark & humorless 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' will perform next month just as 'Deadpool' is still playing in theaters...reportedly Warner Bros suits are now plain worried.

Oh, other films were also playing at theaters.

Kung Fu Panda 3 moves to the distant second spot with $19.6 million for a three weeks total of $100 million domestically.
    Debuting in the third place is the Chick-flick comedy How To Be Single starring Rebel Wilson and Dakota Johnson. Drawing mainly female crowds the film took a decent $18.7 million.

Crash landing on its debut in the fourth place is Zoolander 2 with an atrocious $13.4 million. The makers might blame the Deadpool fever currently sweeping cinemas across the nation, but critics put the blame on the film itself as it got some of the worst reviews ever for a Ben Stiller movie. (I blame Justin Bieber)

Finally in the fifth spot the Coen Brothers Hollywood satire Hail Caesar! added $6.6 million to its grosses for a two weeks total of $22.3 million.

2. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    Crazy. I'm not even fond of the character, so I thought it would be about 30-40 million at best.

3. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

I based my prediction on it not doing so well not on my dislike of the character, but the basis facts that he's not that well-known with non-Marvel general public, it's an R-Rating, and the endless one-liners and 'breaking-4th-wall' would turn some people off.

This has taken everyone by surprise and I can only guess that audiences were mote-than-intrigued!

4. Panchyprsss

Dude: Deadpool has been very popular with non-comic book Millennials for many years. Instant recognition among the 25 and under crowd who have been buying Deadpool T-shirts, sweaters, belts, pins and other merchandise for a long time. The fact that the filmmakers delivered a movie that accurately represented the character (unlike, lets say, Wolverine or The fantastic four) brought a lot of excitement among teenagers and young adults.

Also the fact that it is damn good movie didn't hurt a bit. :lol:

5. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Yeah, but Thor didn't do this well, The Amazing Spider-man, Ant-Man, Guardians Of The Galaxy, Captain America...all fell short of what Deadpool did.

I hope Dr Strange is another success....

6. Panchyprsss

Unlike Deadpool these other characters while more mainstream are not considered 'cool' by the Millenials. I mean if their dad says "I love Deadpool' they'll go 'EEEWWW! Lets find another character that belongs to US'. Deadpool is their Spiderman.

7. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Quit using silly terms...

8. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    I think it bodes well for future superhero movie making. I don't even know if it's any good, but I've been itching for an R-rated superhero movie since "Watchmen". I might actually give this a shot while it's still in theaters.

9. Panchyprsss

The film pushes the limits of its R rating as it has everything you'll think an R-rated movie has, plus the gory violence and LOTS of profanity and sexual jokes. I doubt that film could be aired on regular tv as it has profanity on almost every sentence spoken.

10. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Dude, this is were you are losing this. The marketing on pages like 9gag and so on was massive and much cheaper than what the mainstream action movies do in comparison. I thought it was brilliant. This movie was heavily anticipated.

11. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

I'll try to check this shit on Friday.

12. Panchyprsss

Get there early. The lines to buy tickets are insane.

13. Panchyprsss

Yup

14. Panchyprsss

PANCHYPRSSS EXCLUSIVE, IN DETAIL, REVIEW/ANALYSIS/DISERTATION OF THE NEW DEADPOOL MOVIE:

[​IMG]
    Deadpool

It was entertaining!!! :fist:

8.5/10

15. His_Royness

16. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

I watched it last night - there's a stream online already (5/10 quality, but it's a low-budget movie so doesn't matter) - filmed in a theater and the first thing I audibly noticed: no females at all in the audience, just a bunch of 15-25 yr old virgins, guffawing at every double-entendre quip and slo-mo action-shot.
    Panchy was right-on with this comment: "Unlike Deadpool these other characters while more mainstream are not considered 'cool' by the Millenials. I mean if their Dad says "I love Deadpool' they'll go 'EEEWWW! Lets find another character that belongs to US'. Deadpool is their Spiderman."
    Very acute observation of you, Panchy.

Dunno about you guys, but when I was growing up reading Marvel and DC, like aged 8-15, I sure as hell knew that super-heroes weren't fucking role-models to look up to.

Anyway, back to the movie, it has some funny moments in it and some dumb shit: like when Deadpool and Colossus call each other by their 'hero-names'. That's just dumb'
    The Avengers don't go round going to each other:
    "Hey, Iron-Man - whatcha working on in the lab?"
    "Don't bother me, Ant-Man....I've had a bad day arguing with Captain America.....isn't that right, Black Widow?"

Wade Wilson is a pretty cool anti-hero....and his missus is fit (well, she's Brazilian)...action-scenes are good....script is great.

Overall: 6.5/10

17. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    Fun movie. Not in my top 10 comic book movies but worth watching.

18. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    :dunno:

19. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

:scratcher:

20. Panchyprsss

I posted this on 7-30-2014 in the 'DC & Marvel movies news' thread:

DEADPOOL teste officielle par Blur Studios... by burasu

Why FOX is still not making this movie is an enigma: they have the rights to the character which right now is one of the most popular characters from Marvel. They are seating on a mine of gold and are doing NOTHING about it. If only Marvel could get the rights back! :pray:

I was right! :hammert:

21. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Well done Panch - props to you. :bears:

22. His_Royness

Saw it today. This movie is the best action-comedy combination ever in my book. Really entertaining stuff.

Oh and there were tons of females in the theatre... :dunno:

23. Panchyprsss

agREED

and when I watched it at a sellout movie theater I saw more young chicks than guys. At the ticket line there was a group of like six teenager girls all excited to watch the film and I was thinking, "where the fuck are their male friends?" I mean, Deadpool is more fanboy stuff, but apparently has crossed over to fangirls too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3iOc-iwRUzc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  24. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

You mean nerdy, gender-confused 'FanGirls' who don't have many friends and those that do go to Comic-Con Cosplay events all the time? :popcorn:

25. Panchyprsss

Yeah, apparently the bootleg version he streamed online started with a high definition panoramic shot of the AUDIENCE AT THE MOVIE THEATER so he can clearly see the 15-25 yr old virgin males giggling while the few females were hiding quietly behind tall guys in front of them. :rolleyes:
    EXACTLY
    Those girls with money to buy tickets that will watch a gory R-rated superhero film instead of a romantic tear jerker like 'The Choice'.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  26. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    This movie is now on $491 million worldwide after two weeks.

27. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    It was okay. 6/10.

28. His_Royness

:atu:

29. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    Those slow mo spinning in air sequences really got annoying after a while.:baa:

All the meta shit also bothered me. It's just not the kind of movie I enjoy. It was well made and entertaining for the most part, hence the solid 6/10 rating.

30. His_Royness

Fair enough - How many slow mo spinning air was there? Wasn't it just the big accident scene two or three times? But yeah if you don't like that type of movie why watch it? The trailer gave like EVERYTHING away...