Roy Jones vs Andre Ward

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by puerto rock, Jul 22, 2016.

1. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Primes at 168.

Roy is easily the most GIFTED fighter I've had the privilege to watch in my era. Not a big Ward fan at all but the guy has serious skills.

Can he give a prime Roy a challenge?

2. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I think Ward does give Roy a fight with his ring intelligence and inside game but doesn't come close of winning. Roy 9-3 or so

3. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

It would look like the Hopkins match (the first fight)

4. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Roy and it's not close.

5. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Ward would give him a lot of trouble, and he might even win this

6. Xplosive

Ward has no shot in living Hell at beating the 90s Jones.

7. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    I think Jones' offense is too dynamic for Ward who I think lacks the long range game to frustrate it...

8. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    Roy TKO7

9. Xplosive

Now that's going overboard.

Ward goes the distance.

But like Cdogg said, Roy is just too fast and dynamic for Ward to have the same kinda success that he has against slow pokes like Froch, AA, and Kess. It'd be a whole different ball game of problems for Dre.

It'd be a case of a fighter with an insane talent level being too much for a fighter with a very good skill level.

It'd be a dull fight too. Roy 9-3 sounds about right.

10. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

We don't know how Ward would react to not being able to beat his opponent to the punch and getting hit consistently. He may freeze up after a few rounds and let Roy put on a show.

11. Jesus of montreal

He sure does. 90's RJ was very flawed, and if Ward his able to get inside and works his game, he would frustrate the hell out of him. He was very fast and powerfull, so I think he would catch Ward enough to change the dynamic of the fights, but it is far from a given.

12. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

Ward isn't going to get inside on Jones. It would be like Fight Night Champion where whenever you get close your opponent suddenly leaps 6 feet away from you.

13. Xplosive

Roy wasn't Amir Khan - the man could throw devastating counters, even on the inside. So even at close range, Ward doesn't have an advantage. I don't think Ward has the durability to endure Roy's fireower all night.

Of course, every Roy hater brings up the first Griffin fight, and pretends like Montell wasn't on his way to being stopped - which he was. Granted, Roy lost his cool and made a dumbass decision to hit him while down, but Griffin was in big trouble.

Personally, I don't think it's possible to beat a prime Jones without having fight ending power - like a Mike Spinks or Bob Foster. Spinks and Foster were also 6'2-6'3 with considerable more reach than Ward.

Ward can't get it done. There's no supermiddleweight that ever lived that can beat Jones.

14. Xplosive

Roy has been shot and horrible for soooooooooooo fuckin long, that it's made people forget how good he was in his prime.

15. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

Griffin was on his way to being stopped but he did lay something of a blueprint on how to beat a prime Jones, or at least make it competitive. It was a close fight and he won a fair few rounds.

16. Xplosive

Having success and winning are too different things.

Don't underestimate the fact that Griffin being an awkward MIDGET threw Roy off.

Ward being closer to Roy's height is actually better for Roy in this case.

I maintain, it's damn near impossible to beat a prime Jones if you can't do real damage to him. Ward can try any trick he'd like, but he doesn't have the pop to damage Roy.

Roy is plain and simple too fuckin fast for Ward to outbox him.

17. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Agreed with X.

It's hard to imagine any 168 pounder beating a prime Roy. He simply put, was THAT DAMN GOOD.

Ward would be a step behind all night. Roy would be able to move in and out, and side step and pivot off Ward the whole fight and while it wouldn't be an exciting fight, it would simply crystalize at how good Roy was, that he'd be able to do that to a guy like Ward.

18. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Yet, he was basically fighting like an impoverished, punchless, dumber version of Archie Moore whom you predict would get killed by Jones:scratcher:

19. Jesus of montreal

A green raw hopkin was giving trouble to jones (a pre prime one, but one closer to his prime) by going inside, banging the body and being rough. Considering that Ward has a similar style to Bhop, I don't think it's crazy to envision him winning a dec over Jones.

20. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

There is a lot of truth to what X is saying. RJJ's recent travails have damaged his legacy enormously. In his prime he was considered near unbeatable and was near unbeatable. There were a cluster of absolutely elite super-middles fighting at that time and not one would have been even close to favoured to beat him. But what we can say is that time has shown that RJJ, for all his speed and incredible skill, may well have had a susceptible chin. When hit, hard, Jones is stoppable. Age doesn't necessarily deplete a chin, especially one as untested as Roy's. A weak chin is a weak chin.

Someone with one-punch pop might well have been able to lay RJJ out, even in his prime, so long as he was good enough to land the shot. Roy has said himself that he thinks Eubanks was the most likely to be the one he wouldn't want to fight, but although Eubanks was awkward enough and hard-hitting enough that he might be capable I think he might have been being kind and I'm not sure I agree with that call. That notwithstanding, I can't see Ward being the answer. I've no idea what Ward does better than a prime Roy and for all his skills he'd hardly the kind of power-hitter I'd fancy to take advantage of the weakness we know now that RJJ has.

Jones wins this. Ward isn't outclassed, but I don't see how he wins.

MTF

21. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Griffin Also Caught Roy DISINTERESTED that Night...But Even Then, the Moment Roy Turned the Dial Up on his URGENCY, Griffin Had NATHAN For Him...

Prior to the RE Roy Said, I'm Not Gonna Do Anything Different, I'm just Gonna Fight the 9th Round All Over Again...Less than 3 Minutes Later, he Reclaimed his Light heavyweight Title...

If a "Blueprint" of Any Sort was Layed, REED Would Credit Eric Harding...Long, Rangy Southpaw...Granted, Harding Did NATHAN of Consequence to Roy, Mainly Because he LACKED Power, but he Made Roy UNCOMFORTABLE Throughout...Antonio Tarver Did Likewise AND Obviously Had Fight Ending Power....

REED:hammert:

22. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

BHop LOST that Fight 8-4 and Had a BETTER Chin than Ward...

23. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

While Certainly No LaMotta, REED Doesn't Think Roy's Chin (In his Prime) was as BAD As it's Been Made to Look in Latter Years...James Toney Landed 1-2 Meaty Counters as Roy was Leaping In...Merqui Sosa Forced Roy into a DOGFIGHT...At the Time, Sosa was Regarded as THE Hardest Puncher (& Possessor of THE Best Chin) @ 175...NATHAN Happened...

More than Anything, What Hurt Roy's Chin was his FAILURE to Adjust to the Decline of his Athletic Gifts...When the Legs and Reflexes Waned, Roy STILL Tried to Cope w/Incoming Shots the Same Exact Way, Which Lead to Him Getting Hit More Often...

Clearly, His Whiskers Didn't Have a HIGH Threshold for Punishment,Overall, but the LACK of a Post-Prime Style Alteration Exacerbated the Decline in Roy's Punch Resistance, in REED's Opinion...

24. Jesus of montreal

Agreed with this. I think that RJ was more vulnerable to a good jab than a big punch

25. Punk

Punk "Twinkle Toes" McJack Staff Member

Roy didn't have a granite chin but it wasn't glass either.

26. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    agreed... his decline was so rapid, irreversible and devastating that it's distorted things a bit... Jones took the odd hard shots here and there and really only ever got hurt when Lou Del Valle landed the only notable punch of his entire career ... Coming back down from heavyweight fucked Jones... He was never the same after that

27. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    :lol:

Just as well 168 didn't exist in 1940

28. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Roy is overrated.

29. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

:laugh101: