Hard to Fathom Andre Ward BEATING Sergey Kovalev...

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by REEDsART, Aug 7, 2016.

1. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

It WON'T Be an Easy Fight by Any Means, but REED Finds it VERY Hard to Imagine Andre Ward BEATING Sergey Kovalev, if Indeed they Do Fight in November...

Literally, Ward has Every Conceivable ADVANTAGE Over his Current Foe, Alexander Brand...Height, Reach, Age, Speed, Skill, Athleticism, Resume, etc...Nonetheless, this Shit is on the Verge of Going the Distance...

REED Isn't Sure Ward Can EARN Kovalev's Respect...Simply Put, Ward CAN'T Punch a Lick...There's Liable to Be FEMALE Fighters Who Could Last 12 Rounds with Him...If Kovalev REFUSES to Give Ground @ Any Point, Feints, Avoids Clinches and Wards Head, he BEATS Andre Ward Clearly...

REED:fightme:

2. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I got Kovalev via clear UD.

I just think he'll do the major damage with bigger punches, and his advantage in size and strength will prove crucial.

3. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Kovalev doesn't have a good chin so it's possible that he could get hurt by Ward and stopped inside 10 rounds

4. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

No way Ward stops Kovalev. He can win a decision. But he can't stop him.

5. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    I hoPE you guys are right but I think ward will indeed be able to get kovalevs respect with left hooks or straight left hands. Ward can take away kovalevs jab and win a decision

6. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

I'm with Neil. I'm praying that Kov knocks the boring sonuvabitch out, but I think I'm gonna maintain picking Ward.

7. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

This. ward will maul him and win a dec

8. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    I think Ward, just, in a fight that is suprisingly bereft of danger for him.

I am not sure that Kov is all that upstairs,and in these sort of fights, it's the upstairs bit that counts.

He's never been tested or walked down.

He's always had it relatively easy.

His biggest test thus far was trusting himself to let his hands go in a distance fight with an ancient Hopkins and he preferred to conserve his stamina.

9. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

If Ward is Able to TAME Kovalev, it's Gonna Be a Loooooooooooooooooooog Ass Night for Sergey...

The Key for Kovalev Here will Be his Feints...He Needs to Start FAST, AGGRESSIVE and Immediately Put Ward on the Defensive...Ward WILL Honor Every Single Feint Kovalev "Throws" at Him, Which Will Make it Easier to Land the Range Finding Jab...

But Even if, If, IF Ward is Able to Nullify Kovalev's Jab, Sergey Needs to REMAIN Aggressive...He's NOT Going to Beat Ward via Science or Superior Technique, Anyways...He's Got to HURT Ward to the Point he STOPS him or Forces Ward Into SURVIVAL MODE...Period...Even if it Boils Down to a "Take 2 to Land 1" Approach...

More than Anything, Kovalev Has to REVERT to His Cold Blooded, Ruthless, Assassin Like Ways...Maybe he Needs to Cut the Ears Off Some Cute Bunny Rabbits, Go to the Local Schoolyard and Bitchslap Some Pre-Schoolers, Or Piss on the Graves of Some Dead Men...WHATEVER it Takes, Kovalev Needs to Be an ASSHOLE, Come November...

REED:mj:

10. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

If Kovalev Maintains the Requisite WORKRATE, it'll Be Difficult for Ward to Maul Him...The Onus is On Kovalev to Keep his Hands Moving @ All Times...

This is the WRONG Fight for Kovalev to Utilize PATIENCE...

11. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    I have only ever seen Ward once in a shell and that was when he started running out of gas vs Froch, Froch kept coming at him.

I don't think Kov has that style.

12. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

In Fairness, Kovalev had NEVER Fought Past the 8th Round Before...

MANY Fighters Have that Slight Bit of DOUBT in their Stamina, Until They've Actually DONE it...

13. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

Wards lack of power is concerning because h Ma not be able to fluster or discourage Kovalev that easily but Kov seems prone to getting flustered. He also seems to slow down dramatically as city's go on.

People downplay him only losing a few rounds to Chilemba but it looked to me like he needed to hurt him when he did to get the fight back under control.

14. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    I envision a frustrating night for Kovalev, personally.

15. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Yeah this. Nobody has taken into account the city going on. Total intangible. City. Going. ON!

16. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

@ The End of the Day, Kovalev CANNOT Allow this to Deteriorate Into a NEGATIVE Affair...

Don't Allow ANY Lulls; Don't Allow Ward to EVER Dictate Pace OR Range...Even @ the Expense of Being COUNTERED And/or Missing Badly Here or There...Every Second of Every Round Should Be Spent Trying to Knock Andre Ward the Fuck Out...

Workrate and Aggression are Things Kovalev CAN Control...

17. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    as do I, but I hope Kovalev can pull it off

18. Xplosive

Ward can't necessarily hurt Kov, but he punches sharp enough and fast enough to keep Kov honest, which is really all he needs.

What makes it interesting though is that Kov's not only the most dangerous puncher Ward has faced, he's also the best technical boxer. He isnt a robotic sloth like Kess and Froch. And unlike Kess and Froch, all it takes is one good shot to put Ward in a world of fucked.

Still, I think Ward will pull it out. But it's by NO MEANS a given either way.

19. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    great expression

20. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Given This Will Be on PPV, HBO Needs to Go All Out in Promoting This Shit...

If it were Up to REED, He'd HEAVILY Involve Sly Stallone in the Build-Up...Sly's Involvement INSTANTLY Makes a Segment of Mainstream Boxing Fans Take Notice...Have him @ Every Presser and Let him Do the Voice Over for the PPV Commercial, as "Rocky"...

Remind the Mainstream that Andre Ward Played a Role in "Creed", that will Likely Lead to Him Being the Featured Opponent in the Sequel...Sell Kovalev as "The MEANEST, Most RUTHLESS Russian Since Ivan Drago"...Just By Doing This, Anywhere from 200,000-250,000 ADDITIONAL Fans Will Tune In...

Fuck Around, this PPV Will Do 300,000 Buys...

REED:mut:

21. Xplosive

Thanks. It's true though.

Kov has the type of power where even glancing blows can have a guy on Amir Khan legs.

Ward could be controlling the first 4-5 rounds, then BOOM... he's all over the ring wobbling.

I think the early rounds will tell A LOT though... whoever controls the distance wins. If Ward's controlling the distance, frustrating Kov, making him think, he wins.

If Kov's closing the distance, and able to land his jab and touch Ward consistently, then Andre's in for a painful night.

22. Xplosive

BTW, whoever wins this fight is an absolute LOCK for the HOF.

23. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Absolutely! Also the more hard shots either of them is able to land on the other guys chin, the better their chances are going to be.

24. Xplosive

I hope the casual fans don't order this fight think it's gonna be some violent war.

If Ward can help it, it'll be boring n ugly.

25. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Yep....

Cheers and an Excited Crowd Means Kovalev is Winning and On His Way to KO'ing Ward...Boos and a Disinterested Crowd Means Ward is Winning and On his Way to a Boring UD...

Stevie Wonder Could Sit Ringside and Figure Out Who's Having Their Way, Based SOLELY on the Response of the Crowd...

REED:hammert:

26. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I think Kessler was a better technical boxer than Kovalev. Quite a bit better, too. But, I don't think Kovalev's game is about being a technical boxer. He's fundamentally sound, but ultimately his game is about imposing his will on a guy and landing punches. Punches that just happen to be some of the heaviest I've ever seen at light heavy.

I am going with Ward because I think Kovalev's flaws match up with Ward's strengths. Kovalev has some gaps in output, Ward fills gaps. Kovalev isn't a defensive genius, Ward is accurate. Kovalev isn't wild, Ward is superb at defending against orthodox attackers.

I suppose if we could guarantee that Kovalev was going to fight unafraid of getting knocked out, I might pick him due to the punch power disparity. However, Ward has enough pop that I don't see him being able to eat the punches for too long before he changes that type of game plan.

27. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

Wasn't a typo. Kovalev's goofy white ass clearly doesn't know "what's really good".

28. Xplosive

Okay, you can make a case for Kess being more technically sound than Kov. But Kov's a lot more athletic and creative that Kess was.

Kess was a guy who was very good against opponents who came at him, but given the proper looks and angles, he was a bit robotic and lost.

Kov's quicker at closing the distance than Kess, and it isn't as easy to move on him.

29. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    :lol:

30. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Kovalev's gonna win this. Too strong, powerful and busy for Ward