Danny Garcia vs Ricky Hatton @ 140

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Xplosive, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

The Garcia of 2013 vs the Hatton of 05. Who wins?

2. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Hatton overwhelms Garcia....from the start. Garcia might occasionaly catch Hatton with the left hook...but Casper chin ain't Khaness........Hatton by TKO 8 rounds...

3. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Hatton bruising 12 round decision both weights

4. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    I'd slightly favour Garcia

5. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

Hatton overpowers him and stops him. Hatton was a lot better than the likes of Matty Ice and Bambi on Ice.

MTF

6. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

:lol:

7. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Garcia is underrated i think, love his style - proper rock solid, old school, no bullshit skills. Basically beats guys with superior positioning & balance and nothing else.

8. meetthefeebles

I agree, actually. Garcia is underrated. He's better than most here give him credit for. But so is Hatton. Hatton's footspeed alone would have given Garcia fits.

MTF

9. Xplosive

I'd pick Hatton by decision. Garcia does have an excellent chin, I think he's too tough for Hatton to stop.

10. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Imagine what Hatton would do to Khan. :lol:

But yes, I agree. One would be tempted to think Garcia with his size advantage on Hatton may be favored, but I just see Hatton mugging Garcia in a street fight, basically. And I don't think Garcia's power is devastating, either. I could see him buzzing Hatton with an occasional left hook counter but I'm hard pressed to even see him getting a flash knockdown. Hatton wins this big via late stoppage.

11. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

I'd lean toward Garcia. I think he definitely could and would hurt Hatton.

12. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

Garcia definitely.

13. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Hatton-Khan woulda been glorious

14. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Hatton is one of these odd fighters that got maybe too much praise during his prime and not enough of it after he was finished.

Hatton beat up guys that would have beat up Khan.

Ray Oliveira, for example.

15. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Ray Oliveira would have gotten beaten up bad by Khan. He matched up terribly with him

16. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Ray had a decent chin, strength and threw loads of punches. He was better than Peter-Pellet.

17. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

I'm not a big Khan fan but Ray Oliveira? Lmao

The fact is Hattons wins over two p4pers are completely out of line with the rest of his career and the fact that both of those guys were at the end of their careers and never did anything after has a lot to do with that. Hatton was decent but he was also in the right place at the right time.

18. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:

You will win precisely NOTHING being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Jerry Quarry was the right man in the right place at the wrong time and was a better fighter than Hatton, Zoo and Khan put together.

19. Xplosive

I think Hatton is being underrated here, and Garcia is called underrated so much that he's really overrated. Sometimes extremely so.

One thing that definitely separates Matthysse from a prime Hatton is quickness. Hatton was very quick in and out on his feet. And capable of forcing a pace that Garcia would be uncomfortable with. Moreover, Hatton actually had a pretty good, quick jab coming in when he utilized it, another thing that separates him from Matty Ice.

This is a guy who was good enough to give a Floyd who was at the VERY peak of his ability a tough fight through 6. Yet people are discounting him against Danny fuckin Garcia?

20. Jesus of montreal

Were are people discounting him ? Don't be a drama queen, some are picking Garci but it's far from the majority, and all who picjed Garcia said it would be a close fight. For the record, my money would be on Hatton to outwork and out grapple him

21. Jesus of montreal

If you really think that Oliveira would beat Khan, it pretty much shows that you don't know much about boxing. Khan is far from an all-timer, but he's a few levels above a guy like Oliveira. The gguy had a draw against Fitz Vanderpool, who was a canadian level fighter and who lost against Kyvelos. Khans would have blasted these guys. Yeah I know it's chic and trendy thing to blast Khan, but le'ts be real.

22. meetthefeebles

Hatton has become horribly underrated lately, mainly because of the Pac blowout when Hatton was miles past his best. Hatton built a good resume and was a legit P4Per and dominant in his division for about three years. He gave Mayweather a bit to think about before Mayweather adjusted and got down to business. Garcia is exactly the kind of fighter Hatton used to chew up for breakfast. He'd be a 4-2 dog if the fight was scheduled circa 2007.

MTF

23. Jesus of montreal

Huge lol at Hatton being past his prime against Pac. He was coming off probably the most impressive performance in his career, (the Malignaggi whooping)

24. meetthefeebles

No, beating Kostya was clearly the best win of his career. Fucking Paulie.

MTF :lol:

25. Jesus of montreal

didn't said win, I said performance.

26. Xplosive

Hatton was definitely past his prime in the Pac fight. The Floyd KO altered his punch resistance, and psychologically killed his confidence.

Would it have mattered? No. Pac would have KO'd any version of Hatton. Only difference being a peak Hatton would have gone a few more rounds, and a had few moments. Would have gotten KO'd in 6-8 rounds instead of 2.

I remember going into that fight, A LOT of this forum was picking Hatton. And many others were picking Pac, but in a tough fight. I was one of the few who saw the writing on the wall, and predicted Pac to destroy him. I believe I had predicted Pac TKO 6 going in.

27. Jesus of montreal

There's absolutely nothing to base this on. Nothing. As I said, he looked better than ever against Malignaggi, and Malignaggi was coming some off the best wins of his career, and posted some of his best performances right after the Hatton fight (the two Diaz fights). In fact, he looked much better against Malignaggi than (a probably weight drained) Cotto did against a green Malignaggi. And it's ridiculous to claim that the FLoyd KO (which wasn't very brutal) altered Hatton punch resistance. Wasn't anything like a Trinidad-Vargas situation (and even here, the damage done to Vargas chin is vastly overrated). Fighters are not ruinedt and past their prime just cause they lose a fight, and get koed once. Maybe it killed a bit of is confidence, but he won two fights easily afterward (and one in which he looked electrifying), so is confidence was without a doubt excellent going into the Pac fight. Boxing fans really like to invent some cute little narratives everytime a fight doesn't goes how they expected it to go, or wanted it to go.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  28. Xplosive

Paulie was made to order for any version of Hatton, cause he can't break an egg. Hard to beat Hatton if you have nothing to deter him with. Sure, he looked good against Baby Cow Diaz, but even a faded Hatton is a different level than Baby Cow.

Do I think the Hatton that beat Paulie could have duplicated the Tszyu performance? No. I think his punch resistance, and overall energy and fire was a lot higher in 05 than it was by time he fought Paulie.

It's really irrelevant when it comes to Pac. Pac beats the Hell outta any Hatton. Too much speed and firepower.

But it terms of this thread, I think it matters. I'd favor Garcia to beat the Hatton of 09, but not the Hatton of 05.

29. Jesus of montreal

So, why do you say he was past his prime against Pacquiao? Because of how uncompetitive he was in that fight?

30. Xplosive

He looked like complete shit against Juan Lazacano. More than shit, if not for the hometown ref saving him, Hatton very could have been stopped in that fight. Hatton was out on his feet from a left hook, and the crooked ref jumped in and gave him time to recover.

Considering Lazcano had a bit of pop, it was a truer indication of how he'd fare against Pac than the Paulie fight was.

This is not revisionist history. I said GOING INTO the Pac fight that Hatton was on the downside, and was made to order for Pac regardless if he was faded or not.

Who knows? It's possible Pac blows out any version of Hatton in 2 rounds. I happen to think a younger, fresher Hatton does a TAD bit better, but the ending would be the same.

Pac really was like the worst possible matchup for Hatton. Ricky couldn't fight southpaws to save his life. Ricky looked like shit against ordinary southpaws, much less ones like Pac.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016