Thomas Hearns vs Oscar De La Hoya at 147lbs

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Destruction and Mayhem, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Hearns will outbox him and drop him, but would he stop him? Oscar had heart and durability, could he catch up to Hearns late?

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Hearns would beat the shit outta De La Diva.

3. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Yeah, Oscar and his famous late rounds stamina

4. Xplosive

A guy who ran for dear life from the power of Trinidad, yet you think he'd go into attack mode against Hearns?

Makes sense...

We already saw in the Quartey fight how much of a struggle it is for Oscar against a guy who can out jab him.

Now, add six inches of height to Quartey, give him a much longer, faster jab, give him waaayyyy more power and handspeed, and give him far more overall boxing ability.

And you have your answer of how Oscar does...

5. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Hearns wins a lopsided UD. I see his power putting Oscar in survival mode.

If Oscar gets too brave, he gets stopped.

6. Destruction and Mayhem

I was merely asking a question

7. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

This. Hearns was a better fighter, and also a bigger one.

8. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Hearns win clear decision. DLH's best chance would be to catch Hearns with a big left hook (like Leonard did in the 6th round) and hurt and stop Hearns after that. It's a slim one. Hearns did a great job of surviving the 6th and 7th against one of the best finishers ever in Leonard, and came back to re-establish the tempo and win rounds after that, before Leonard caught him late.

DLH would have all sorts of issues dealing with Hearns's great jab and long range. DLH would not outbox Hearns at distance. Oscar also admittedly got cautious against Quartey because he was nervous about Quartey's punching power. After getting dropped in the 6th, DLH was very inactive and careful until the last round. Hearns's straight right hand (and also his vicious left hook to the body) is certainly enough to make DLH be extra cautious and less active, and therefore DLH would lose more rounds by doing so.

9. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

I could see Oscar lasting the distance but my money would be on Hearns stopping him mid-to-late.

10. Xplosive

Let's just end all future debates right here - DLH gets outclassed by all of the Fab 5. Hearns, Leonard, Duran, Benitez, and Hagler. Nothing to do with styles or anything like that... he was simply an inferior fighter to all of them.

11. Destruction and Mayhem

Outclassed is too strong a word. As usual you just go waaaaay over the top with your rhetoric, rendering it devoid of credibility.

I agree that De La Hoya loses to all five at their best weights but I'm not sure Duran beats him above 147. De La Hoya is competitive with all (not named Hagler) though. Oscar was no scrub.

12. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Lucky Tommy is no body puncher, Oscar has a great chance here!!!

13. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    The problem here isn't the physicality, it's the mentality. Oscar would have a brief chance if he leapt on Tommy and wailed away, but he wouldn;t do it. Tommy would not fear him and would just beat him down.

14. Destruction and Mayhem

Agreed. If Oscar had Leonard courage he certainly had the power to hurt tommy and the reach and jab to set it up and to deliver it. He showed grit against quartey and Vargas when he needed to but hearns is no quartey or vargas

15. Xplosive

I'm only giving Oscar the benefit of possibly going the distance because the thread says 147.

At 154, I have almost no doubt that Hearns wins by KO.

16. Xplosive

You are 100% correct. But Oscar's problem in this matchup is physical also. He's physically outgunned by Hearns.

It's easy to assume that he could duplicate what Leonard did if he had Leonard's killer instinct, but he likely still couldn't. Leonard was just far more dynamic and creative than Oscar, who was for the most part a stiff/rigid fighter. And because he was so stiff and rigid, Hearns would have a jab field day.

17. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    I never bought into that

He had a great hook to the body and he was KILLING Barkley with body shots when he got caught by the miracle of all miracles

18. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

yeah, Hearns left hook to the body was lethal.

19. Pascals Wager

Pascals Wager Undisputed Champion

DLH spens 2.50mins of almost every round in survival mode, and 10secs in flurry/ steal mode.
    For 2, possibly 3, in spurts he tries to be the aggressor, has limited success, but always ends up stunned & back in the shell.
    Hearns by clear UD.
    Oscar is incredulous/ confused about the result, but goes on to give Hearns all the credit in the world...

20. puerto rock

I don't even give Oscar a puncher's chance here. I don't think he hits hard enough to make an impact on Hearns.

I give Trinidad a better chance against Tommy but I don't see him coming out victorious either. But on paper he has the proverbial "puncher's chance." More so than Oscar at least.

21. Destruction and Mayhem

Come on! Hearns' chin wasn't concrete and Oscar hits at least as hard as Leonard did by any objective measure.

The question is whether Oscar would be able to get to Hearns, whether he can take the punches and whether he'd have the fortitude to be willing to take the incoming to get his own licks in. But his ability to hurt Hearns with a well placed left hook shouldn't be in question

22. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Given that he never looked dominant against any decent fighter at 147lb, De La Hoya gets beaten here...he runs and gets outpointed.

23. puerto rock

I fail to see how Oscar hit as hard as Leonard. At 147, he couldn't stop Trinidad, Quartey, Mosley, and Whitaker. At 154, Castillejo and Mosley both went the distance with him.

Hard for me to envision him even coming close to stopping Hearns, who's chin is not as bad as it has been made out to be.

24. Destruction and Mayhem

I don't see Leonard stopping any of those guys either to be honest with you. Quartey...maybe, but even then I see Quartey going the distance (after receiving quite a beating). I certainly don't see Leonard stopping the other 3.

25. Xplosive

Leonard would stop Trinidad, ESPECIALLY the weight drained Tito that Oscar faced. Oscar COULD have stopped Tito if he really put his foot on the gas, but he was too spooked and his suspect stamina kicked in.

Ray wouldn't be as gun shy, and Ray had no problem with stamina.

26. puerto rock

I definitely see Leonard stopping Quartey, and I don't see him struggling at all with him.

Leonard would give Mosley the worst beating of his life. He may not stop him, but he'd hurt him with body shots worse than Forrest did and in a 15 rounder, I'm not sure even a good boy Mosley survives.

I think Leonard does stop Trinidad because unlike De La Hoya, Tito isn't a running pussy. And he'd go down trying to take Leonard out.

Sweet Pea may have the guts and guile to survive, but I think the 99 version that Trinidad beat gets stopped by Leonard.

Now what I ask is, could Oscar stop Hearns, Benitez, and Duran (Yes I know Duran did quit)?

27. Destruction and Mayhem

Leonard aint stopping no Trinidad. If Leonard gets into a slugfest with Trinidad, Leonard is more likely to get hurt. Now...I know you'll say that Hearns hit harder than Trinidad. This is true. But hitting harder isn't the only factor in a slugfest. Hearns was more vulnerable than Trinidad. Trinidad could be dropped but Hearns more likely to be wobbled badly. Leonard knew this about hearns as early as the 5th round of their first fight and this is what gave him encouragement to walk through the fire and try to take him out when he was left with no other choice. You didn't see Leonard trying to slug it out with the less-powerful-than-hearns, Hagler. Why? Hagler had the better chin and was therefore more dangerous than hearns in a slugfest. Let's not forget, though, that Leonard was wobbled by lightweight Duran in the 2nd round of their first fight and Trinidad had heavier punches than Duran. Anyway back to power and danger, re hearns and Tito: hearns had that right hand of course which is a harder punch than any single Trinidad shot, however Trinidad had power in left, right, u,p down, and side to side...lol...every single punch tito threw hurt an opponent. Also Trinidad's combinations were more powerful in aggregate. Trinidad is a better infighter than Hearns due to the pinpoint accurate combinations.

All in all. Leonard aint knocking out tito because he aint slugging it out with him.

Leonard is not stopping Whitaker..no way no how.

Leonard aint stopping Mosley, no way no how.

Beating up Dave Boy Green, Mayweather Snr and Kalule is a different prospect to those other fighters. Yeah he stopped Benitez in the 15th but in a 12 round fight he never stops benitez in 100 tries IMO. Plus rumours are that benitez didn't train as seriously as he could have done.

28. puerto rock

I think Leonard's accumulation would get to Trinidad late in the fight. Yes Trinidad could hurt Leonard as Duran did, but Tito is more methodical and doesn't have the controlled wildness/unpredictability that Duran had. I think Leonard would turn him and walk him into hard counters. Trinidad would get some in and possibly hurt Leonard but I think Ray's survival instincts would get him through if such a thing happened... Nobody is a bigger Trinidad fan here than me. But I do see Leonard in the championship rounds doing some serious damage and unlike Oscar, Leonard would take risks. I think his powerful bodyshots take a lot of Tito and set him up for a late stoppage between the 12th and 14th rounds.

I think Leonard definitely stops the other guys too, with the exception of Whitaker, unless it's the version who fought Trinidad.

I just don't see Quartey and Mosley surviving 15 rounds with Ray. Both are too predictable despite their talents, and while Mosley had that hand speed and dynamic athletic quality, Leonard is just too smart for him and with his own speed and yes, POWER, he'd have Mosley reeling by the mid rounds and there is give in Shane. We've seen it. If it's 12, he lasts. If it's 15, Mosley cannot hang.

29. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

I think it's unlikely SRL stops Mosley, Tito or Quartey. They were all pretty resilient and Leonard wasn't a huge puncher. Their styles don't really suggest a KO either.

30. Xplosive

Of all them, your boy Quartey has the best chance of getting stopped.