Anyone here think they could have been a successful professional fighter?

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Destruction and Mayhem, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

2. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Sure. If only I had the talent, drive, ambition to do more then 5 chin-ups at a time, and the reflexes of Orion, I'm sure I'd have been the next Sean O'Grady. :lol:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  3. Destruction and Mayhem

lol

Seriously though...I wonder if anyone has ever done boxing training and showcased some handy skills etc but for whatever reason never followed through on the promise of their talent.

Personally, I did some boxing training and had some skill but was never serious enough to explore it and really don't know if I had what it took to be successful. however I assume that with all the keen boxing fans we have post here that someone may think he had (or has) what it takes to be successful.

4. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    define successful

5. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

I still box at a proper gym now....and the next-youngest guy is 10 years younger...but, its always with 16-18oz gloves and proper mouth-guards.
    The sparring is monitored so you dont get gym-wars.
    Hardest thing boxing now...is all the other stuff: running, rope-jumping, tons of crunches, drills.....I prefer sparring, tbh.

However, looking back, I dont and never have had that ´I wish Id started this at a younger age´

6. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

I did amateur boxing as a kid and had a nice string of KO's victories...until I got KOd myself too (on my feet like Jake LaMotta, never went down, but that was worse as I got more punches than necessary). My older brother, who was my trainer, freaked out and told me after the bout was stopped 'Never again!!' So I quit boxing, but I thought I could have done better with a real trainer as my brother knew shit about boxing.

7. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

REED was an Above Average "Neighborhood" Boxer...Pretty Good Handspeed, Defensive Radar, Punch Resistance and Counter Punching Ability, but NATHAN Remotely World Class...

REED Never Derived Pleasure Out of HURTING People, Nor Did REED Have the Competitive Desire to PROVE he was Better Than the Next Kid at Boxing...The Times REED Boxed were Basically FORCED Upon Him...Fighting was Always Something REED Looked at as Self Defense, as Opppsed to Merely a SPORT...

Basically, REED Wasn't MEAN or HUNGRY Enough to Ever Amount to Much as Prizefighter and he Possessed the DISCIPLINE (Or Lack Thereof) of James Toney...

REED

8. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Couldnt ´pull the trigger´?
    That´s what Im like now when I spar and I have a bad tendancy to absorb shots, lay on the ropes, and throw some counter...which is fucking stupid, really.

9. Jeffy

Jeffy Undisputed Champion

Not sure about all of the intangibles needed, but I do know that I always have been a puncher and was very quick. So many other qualities come into play though that make success achievable.

10. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

As with all other sports: mentality, Id say.

11. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

You Could Say That...

When Sparring, it was RARE That REED Threw or Landed 1st...And Only When Sufficiently ANGERED Would REED "Pull" the Trigger...After Getting Drilled a Couple Times, It Felt Like a FIGHT Instead of a SPORT, and Instinct Took Over...

Stupid, as You Said, and a Recipe for DISASTER on Any Appreciable Level of Boxing...

REED Just Ain't BUILT for it. He's a Lover, Not a Fighter...

REED

12. Destruction and Mayhem

I can relate to you not having the desire to hurt people. I never enjoyed punching people in the face. I think to be a successful boxer you have to have a mean streak and a violent tendency. That was missing for me. Like you said, boxing is just self defense for me. Also I don't remember ever taking a particularly hard punch so I have no idea how good (or not) my chin is. I did have fast hands though. My stamina was always a bit suspect however.

13. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    No... Not mean enough unprovoked, too slow, the kind of skin guaranteed to cut and far too lazy

14. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

I boxed out of Birtley B.C. from age 14 until I was 23. Had about a dozen ammy fights. Won more than I lost but lost enough to know I simply wasn't good enough. I was pretty quick, had decent enough power and a good chin but nothing really standout to suggest I could make a living from boxing and an almost complete lack of the intangeables required to turn pro and succeed. Plus, I was waaaaay too fond of tabs and beer for the required lifestyle - boxing is a way of life, which dominates what you eat, what you drink, what you weigh, where you go etc. I simply didn;t have the discipline for that.

MTF

15. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Boxed in a few local tournaments as a kid. I was sloppy as hell with punch technique but I was always game and never afraid to get hit. Nothing close to world class obviously.

Nowadays I do box at a local gym just to keep the weight in check and plus it's fun. It kept me sane throughout nursing school and it's a great reliever when I finish the graveyard shift.

16. meetthefeebles

I got hit enough to know my chin is pretty solid. I was never stopped, in sparring or in a fight, though I fought at 135 - I was a skinny little fucker in my younger days. The problem was that I got hit enough to know I had a good chin, ergo my defence was obviously not good enough.

MTF :lol:

17. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I am very slow, unbalanced and clumsy and I have a tendency to gain weight if I don't work out.

Thus, sounds to me I could have become a heavyweight contender

18. meetthefeebles

Do you have a 'Spongebob Squarepants haircut'? That helps.

MTF

19. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

DESPERATION Is Another Key Ingredient...Most Successful Fighters NEEDED Boxing, as There was No Plan-B in Life...Desperation Can MAKE a Motherfucker Mean and Remorseless....

To Paraphrase Bernard Hopkins "As Long as There's POOR People in the World, Boxing Will NEVER Die."...

There's Obviously EXCEPTIONS To the Rule, but NOT Many...

REED

20. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Age aside, how do you find Muay-Thai training compared to Boxing?

21. meetthefeebles

I found boxing harder but I was starting from scratch and then after a while I was training to fight, going through training camps and so on. Those 6-8 week periods were fucking hard. I enjoy Muay Thai more and find it a little easier on the whole but that's probably because I take it less seriously (I'm nearly 36 now and I'm frankly just glad I'm still fit enough to train). Looking at the lads who are training to fight, I can see an argument that their training might be harder than mine was.

MTF

22. puerto rock

Muy-Thai is some hardcore shit, bro. I've heard of some of that training and it is just BRUTAL.

Though I myself have never done it. I'd be open to try, but won't guarantee that I'd succeed. :lol:

23. meetthefeebles

I train twice a week but don't take it particularly seriously. At the level I'm at the training is hard but not too much so - I'm way too old and brittle to bother with the kind of training needed to get into proper fighting shape. I'm happy enough to concentrate on my occasional forays into running races (vet category :lol:)

MTF

24. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Try it Puerto. ...it is daunting no question but i'm a lot older than MTF...if I can endure it anyone can...

25. puerto rock

I'm 35, same age as meetthefeebles. And after my boxing/cardio workouts, I definitely feel the aches and pains in the back and legs.

But if I could find a Muy-Thai trainer that doesn't kill my pocket, I'd be up for it.

26. meetthefeebles

The main reason I took it up is because there is a Muay Thai gym literally 400 yards down the road from my house, and every time I wandered past and had a spy in it looked like something I wanted to try. That was about two and a half years ago. I'm pretty rubbish at it still but I do enjoy it a lot and it doesn't hurt any more than training for a marathon does at the level I train at. I'd recommend it if you can try it.

MTF

27. Destruction and Mayhem

Lol

You are a rather witty chap I must admit.

28. Destruction and Mayhem

That's a very good quote actually and a great point.

I think that sums it up for me, I was too pampered to consider boxing seriously

29. Destruction and Mayhem

Lol

That's another reason why I didn't pursue it. I didn't want to find out later that my defense sucked and wake up one day look in the mirror and see Iran Barkley steering back at me.

30. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

A good reason why the vast majority of successful fighters grew up very poor. It doesn't matter how physically gifted someone is. When life is pretty comfortable 95% of people are going to say "fuck this shit" once they start getting beaten up and schooled. Not that they all never return to a gym again but any thought of making a career out of it is gone.