Life - Trailer/Discussion (Sci Fi, Alien)

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Anthony, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dgOGqWHtjP0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

How many of these fucking floating-in-space-looking-serious-and-slightly-concerned movies is Hollyweird going to shit out?

3. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

F you dude, they don't shit out enough.

4. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Gravity.....Interstellar.....The Martian...etc - they all look like theyre using each other´s special effects!

5. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

The trailer started promising (an utopic united humanity forming in space colonies!) only to end up as another ALIEN wannabe. Geez, no imagination, no balls to do something original!

6. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Looks good. Been awhile since we've had one of these everybody turns on everybody else tense space operas. Maybe since "Sunshine"?

7. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

I can usually pick these movies out of how ridiculous theyre going to be almost like how the sun rises and sets each day, but this one did confuse me.
    For an hour.

I admit, Life started out as pretty interesting: manned-space-station returning to Earth picks up proof of a living organism from Mars and everyone is deliriously happy until....something goes wrong.
    Unfortunately here, when that moment comes, the movie goes wrong too. Horribly and relentlessly.

This movie turns from great tension and good storyline...to funniest (unintentionally) shit evah for the sake of ´novelty deaths´ faster than any movie I can remember.

I´d ask for my money back....but I watched it on a stream at home.

5/10

8. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

It's hard to make a compelling space thriller, because no matter what, they're ALL measured up against Alien... which will forever be the best space thriller.

Having said that, I'm not surprised if this movie is mediocre. I'll try to watch it on a stream this weekend.

9. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Its frustrating..because for 45-60 mins, its good. Lots of tension and then....

10. Xplosive

I just saw Life tonight. Really not that bad at all. Not a great movie by any means, it's no Alien... but I found it watchable and above average suspensful. More rewatchable than that space piece of shit Gravity, that's for certain.

7/10

11. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

What irked me was that, it was a great build-up and then its like the producers said ´Right. Enough of that. This is 2017 not the 1970s. People have a low attention span so lets start the ball rolling: movie’s time is running out and we’ve got to get to the big climax scene with the final desperate plan.´

Cue, deaths of the characters youre supposed to be rooting for (four ´beautiful people...the beautiful people´, a new father and a paraplegic) against Calvin The Alien.

12. Xplosive

I do get your point.

If Life was made sometime in the late 70s or early 80s, it woulda been a made into a classic.

Hell, even if it was a 90s movie it probably woulda turned out excellent. Welcome to the low attention span era.

Perhaps because of some reviews (including yours) I went in with very low expectations. But when the movie ended, I didn't feel like I'd been cheated out of my money. I've seen better.... but I've also seen far worse.

Kind of a predictable twist in the final scene, BUT... I was pleased that it wasn't a "happy" ending. Had it been, I woulda rated it lower.

BTW, Gyllenhaal is virtually NEVER in a "bad" movie. Granted, this movie can't hold a candle to Nocturnal Animals, but it wasn't "bad".

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  13. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    the movie is a decent 'dumb horror', but dont expect more than that

14. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I liked the movie.

15. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I don't agree this was crap at all. I just watched it and thought it was wonderful. The alien was interesting and the story compelling. I don't want to spoil the ending, because something does happen so spoiler alert.

Spoiler

Highlight below.

To me that ending was straight out of a twilight zone episode. It was a beautiful twist and it was done right. It just hit me just as wonderful as the twilight zone or Black mirror.

16. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I had the feeling something like that would happen. It was indeed a good movie.

17. lb 4 lb

Yeah I thought it was good also, even if the Alien’s intelligence went almost to psychic levels of letting him know what to do. I also completely guessed it would end the way it did, at least with what happened to the guy.

18. Anthony

Motherfucker
    What do you mean psychic levels?

19. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

I think lb4lb means Calvin (the alien organism) seemed almost too intelligent and one step ahead of the crew?

20. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I didnt see him as one step ahead of the crew. They just didnt know how to deal with him. He was smart tho. As they explained in the movie, he is basically just one big brain muscle.

21. lb 4 lb

Yeah that’s exactly what I meant. It’s also how I knew how the ending would go because like I said the mofo knew every thing they thought of.

22. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Yeah but the ending happened because the Calvin prevented the pilot for r emoting the ship. Notice how he pulled his hand back. But Calvin was just one big brain.

23. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Not a bad movie. Not really very memorable, but not bad.

Better ending then "Sunshine", but not nearly as good of an overall movie. The Ryan Reynolds character was essentially a carbon copy of the Chris Evans character in "Sunshine".

Now think, a higher budget Europa Report set in a space station, but with a shorter attention span.

6.5/10