Quartey vs Thurman

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Double L, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Even though this thread is intended primarily as a response to all of the Garcia threads, I think this would be a good fight. Of course most people will undoutedly pick Quartey to win. But the thing is - Quartey had shit foot-work. Is it possible Thurman could win with his feet and sporadic counters?

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Nope. Not a shot in living Hell. Quartey was a level above Thurman and would beat the fuck the outta him.

3. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Agreed. Quarty is a better fighter, but I see Thurman giving him a ton of trouble

4. Xplosive

I don't. Even the Quartey that fought VARGAS would beat Thurman, and that version was far removed from the 94-96 Ike.

Ike's jab would render Keith useless, and Ike would have Z E R O trouble finding Keith with his right hand.

5. Xplosive

The era of Quartey, Oscar, Tito, and Whitaker was so much better than Thurman, Garcia, Porter, and Brook that it's absurd.

I didn't list Spence because despite not being tested, he's the ONLY one of the current crop who has the potential to be in the class of the first group.

6. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Quartey would be too strong and his jab would bust Thurman up. And Ike's right hand would ultimately chop him down.

Quartey KO 8

7. Double L

Double L Book Reader

I think Quartey could have trouble landing that punch (the right hand). He was pretty slow with it.

8. Xplosive

Whatever image you have of Quartey must be from the Vargas fight.

The Ike that won the title from Espana was FAR from slow.

You don't need the handspeed of Ray Robinson to find Thurman consistently. He has a shit defense.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  9. Double L

Double L Book Reader

I disagree that Thurman's defense is shit.

10. Jesus of montreal

yeah, don't see it either. Guy is not a defensive wizard, but he's not Margarito either

11. puerto rock

Quartey was not slow.

12. Xplosive

Quartey didn't have any trouble finding Oscar, and much as I hate the Golden Fag, Oscar was better than Thurman at EVERY FACET OF BOXING.

Thurman simply ain't that good, and he's being overrated because Porter and Garcia ain't that good either.

I don't think he sees 12 with Ike.

13. Jesus of montreal

Oscar fights nothing like THurman. He was a much more conventional fighter, which suited Ike fine since he could turn the fight into a jabbing contest. Thurman jumpy jittery styles would no doubt trouble Ike, who was as conventional a fighter as you could get.

14. puerto rock

I think Thurman is too vulnerable defensively to beat Quartey. Even though he's gotten a bit better since the Karass and Chavez fights, he's still not in Quartey's class, for my money.

I think Thurman has moments of competitiveness, but he would be losing most of the rounds and it would get ugly for him quickly.

15. Xplosive

You call it "jittery"... I call it leap amateur. Neither Porter nor Garcia were good enough to expose his many flaws, but best believe Quartey would.

If Keith runs for dear life he could see the distance, but with Quartey's jab consistently in his grill I don't see Thurman actually having much success.

16. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

REED GETS What X is Saying...

For as MUCH as Thurman Moves, his Defense IS Subpar...In Fact, Probably 95% of Thurman's Defense is Predicated on his WHEELS...He Doesn't Parry or Duck Many Shots @ All...Doesn't Pull Away from Them (ala, Ali or Vitali) Either...

REED Wouldn't Refer to Thurman's Defense as "Shit" Either, but It's Going to Look WORSE as he Continues to Face Better Fighters...He's NOT a "Good Defensive Fighter", by ANY Stretch...

REED:hammert:

17. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

From What REED's Seen of Thurman, the TOUGHER the Fight Gets, the MORE he Utilizes Movement to AVOID Exchanges...NO Traces of "Bitch" in Thurman, to Be Fair, but he's Not Necessarily LOOKING to Go Out on his Shield During Tough Stretches, Either...

Thurman was CONTENT Giving Away the Final Rounds Against Not Only Danny Garcia, but Robert Guerrero...And He WASN'T All That Combative in the Latter Rounds vs. Shawn Porter Either...

Point Being, Quartey Posed MORE of a Threat than Garcia, Guerrero OR Porter...Ike's Jab ALONE is Something Thurman's NEVER Dealt w/...And While NOT a "Banger", Ike Had Respectable Pop in Both Hands...How Many Fighter's Can Say they DROPPED DeLa???...

Porter's the "One Time" Thurman Wasn't the STRONGER Man, from What REED's Seen, and Even in Winning, Brother Looked VERY Uncomfortable Throughout...

Thurman's COMPETITIVE w/Quartey for Sure, but REED CAN'T See him Winning...

REED:hammert:

18. Jesus of montreal

don't get me wrong, I'm not picking Thurman. But saying he would get routed or that he has no chance is idiotic imo

19. Xplosive

Thurman has no chance of actually WINNING against a prime Quartey. Whether he gets routed or not is another story.

20. Jesus of montreal

well, you also thought that he would get koed by Garcia, so you obviously underrate him greatly

Much bigger upset thant that happened in boxing.

21. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Even though he won, Thurman performance vs Garcia disapointed me. Quartey would win clearly imo, 8-4 type of fight with ''One Punch'' basically running in the championship rounds

22. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Prime Quartey beats the living hell out of Thurman. The latter lazy ass version might not, though.

23. Xplosive

I think any version of Ike from 94-00 beats Thurman, including the Vargas fight Ike. Thurman is no Vargas.

24. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

Garcia was picking Thurman apart for long stretches but he couldn't do a lot of damage and Thurman would take the rounds back with a big shot or two. Quartey would pick Thurman apart and but bust him up as well.

25. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Ike faded in fights but so does Thurman.

26. Xplosive

I do think Thurman probably lasts the distance with Ike, only because he'd run late to survive.

Ike stopping him isn't outta the question though. Quartey might not have been a Trinidad puncher, but he hit a lot harder and sharper than Porter/Garcia.

27. Jesus of montreal

Ike doesn't hit harder than Garcia. In fact, Garcia probably has a lot more devastating ko than Ike. He was a lot sharper with his punches though

28. Xplosive

Pllleeeeaaasseee show me evidence of Garcia hitting harder than Ike at 147. Why? Because he stopped that Vargas stiff?

Guerrero wouldn't go the distance with a prime Ike. Paulie wouldn't go 9 with a prime Ike.

29. Jesus of montreal

Going the distance and punching hard are not that correlated. You can see by the way he turn his body that Garcia has better bodyweight transfer on his punches. And he has more one punnch KO than Ike. Still, Ike was a much better and sharper fighter, and was a pretty solid puncher himself, so thaT's why he would ko these guys (or KO them earlier). But he's not a harder puncher than Garcia

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017