Thomas "The Hit Man" Hearns vs Gennady Gennadyevich Golovkin at 160lbs

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Destruction and Mayhem, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

What happens here?

2. Jeffy

Jeffy Undisputed Champion

Hearns KO 30 secs

3. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I think GGG would be completely gunshy after taking a vicious Hearns right hand which could lead to a decision loss instead of a KO loss

4. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    I think Hearns had the potential to be the greatest 160lb fighter of all time.

He shouldn't lose to Golovkin.

Golovkin would need a hail-mary and he's not that sort of fighter.

5. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

If it's sloppy Hearns, GGG has a shot, but a focussed Hearns win this without too much trouble

6. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Hearns by UD, and I said as much in a thread several years ago.

7. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

Hearns probably gets stopped. GGG struggling a bit with a quality fighter like Jacobs isn't the black mark of Hearns getting ktfo by an average guy like Barkley. And GGG's jab could stabilize Hearns for something big.

8. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    :scratcher:

The only thing getting stabilized would be Golovkin, in hospital, afterwards.

9. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

Golov's chin is solid. He's not a big mw but he's strong as a bull and he makes contact.

10. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    With what, the canvas :dunno:

Hearns hit like a mother at 160. He broke open Haglers face. He was a couple of bits of shitty luck away from winning that fight. Breaking his right hand was one of them.

11. Xplosive

Danny Jacobs a quality fighter, but let's shit on Hearns? Yeahhhh.... as if Tommy's chin was worse than Jacobs... cause Tommy was getting dropped by Sergio Mora, right?

Jacobs ain't that good at all, and he's a bum compared to Tommy Hearns.

12. Xplosive

Juan Roldan alone is better than anybody on Golov's resume.

13. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

HOW???...

Hearns was TALLER w/a Muuuuch Looooooooooooooooooooooooonger Reach...Based on Hearns' LENGTH and SPEED of Delivery, No Way Does Triple G Outjab or "Stabilize" Hearns w/His...

Golovkin Has a LIVE Puncher's Chance, for Certain, but he Damn Sure AIN'T Outjabbing Tommy Hearns...What Fighter EVER Outjabbed Tommy Hearns, Consistently???...

REED:hmm:

14. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Hagler got the jab going in the 2nd round against Hearns but that fight stands on its own facts, you can't really extrapolate data from it.

15. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

I don't think Jacob's chin is all that bad really, he was clearly off-balance for the Mora knockdown and the Pirog knockdown was just a great shot. Saying that I genuinely think he could have gotten up.

16. Destruction and Mayhem

My Opinion on this one hasn't changed.

GGG would eventually nail Hearns and stop him...come from behind TKO. Hearns' chin was vulnerable at 147lbs let alone at 160lbs. Hearns was a GREAT boxer...but let's be real, he was more PUNCHER than he was a boxer. in other words, Hearns was always looking to knock a man the fuck out. That's why he was exciting and that's why he was vulnerable. If Hearns could be trusted to stick and move the entire fight and play it safe then I'd pick him...but that wasn't the Tommy we all know and love.

17. Xplosive

First of all, genius.... where's the evidence of Hearns having a vulnerable chin at 147? Because he was stopped ON HIS FEET in 14 rounds against Leonard? Great evidence.

Secondly, it's not impossible that Hearns couldn't STOP Golovkin. I don't care how good Golov's chin APPEARS to be.... the fact that he's so easy to nail with right hands, and the fact that Brook got his attention with a right hand, is alarming going against the greatest right hand puncher in the history of the sport.

Thirdly, if Hearns couldn't stop Golov.. at the VERY LEAST he would buzz him enough to keep him honest. And Golov in all honesty, is NOT the kind of fighter who's gonna throw caution to the wind and go balls to the wall to push a KO the way Hagler, and yes, BARKLEY did.

Golov is a measured, methodical pressure fighter, which plays into Hearns' hands.

18. Destruction and Mayhem

You make it sound like Hearns was just gradually worn down by Leonard without being hurt along the way. Leonard badly wobbled Hearns as early as the 5th round with a single left hook and repeatedly hurt him throughout the fight whenever he landed clean...and guess what..Leonard wasn't a thunderous puncher...decent puncher yes but not thunderous.

Secondly when Hagler ever gone "balls to the wall" before or since? Hagler knew he could hurt Tommy (as Tommy's chin was known to be suspect) and he (Hagler) knew he didn't have much time left because of the cut. The point is ANY FUCKING FIGHTER can go for it if they know they have to knock out a guy to win. Shiiiiiiiit I saw Chris Byrd turn "Joe Frazier" when he was desperate to beat Oquendo in their fight.

Golov hits harder than both Hagler and Barkley....and a 147lb Leonard.

By the way...since when does a measured pressure fighter with a good chin and power play into the hands of a guy like Hearns? You're talking out of your rectum.

19. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Excellent!

20. Fortunato

Fortunato WBC Champion

Hearns is all wrong for him.

GGG is tough as nails but seeing Jacobs and Brook hit him with right hands and uppercuts make it hard for me to imagine him walking through Hearns' offense to do enough damage to stop him. There's always a chance that GGG could catch Hearns and stop him but Hearns takes the majority.