Thoughts on Amy Schumer?

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Destruction and Mayhem, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

1. Is she talented?
    2. Do you find her funny? (Can be the same answer as # 1, or you can see them as separate issues)
    3. Would you hit it:?

I saw one of her stand up routines on Netflix. First time listening to her. She struck me as too vulgar. I mean she sin't just raw for a woman...she's raw period! Not funny for me. I question a comedian's abilities when they feel the need to go too sexually explicit in order to get a laugh.

I'd hit it though.....but she'd be way down on my hit list.

Thoughts?

2. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    I like her. I'm sure many here will hate her with a passion. I don't find her any more vulgar then a large portion of male stand-ups. There's other women who are waaaaay more vulgar then her (Lisa Lampanelli and Bridget Everett come to mind first), that I don't find funny at all.

I liked "Trainwreck".

I mean, she's not near the top of my list IMO, and I think she's a very poor man's version of Sarah Silverman (another I'm sure many hate) as far as stand-up and sketch comedy goes, but she's alright and will probably turn into way more of a cash cow then Silverman ever became.

3. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rx9A0ABUV-I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

I'll have to watch this when i get home. I haven't see any of her latest special but i've heard it get some really bad feedback.

5. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I doubt you get past ten minutes.

6. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

i meant the video you posted :lol:

7. Double L

Double L Book Reader

She seems like a real cunt. I didn't watch her netflix special but I saw her act on Showtime (maybe HBO) and the problem wasn't that it was vulgar. The problem was it just wasn't funny. The combination of vulgar AND unfunny is particularly onjectionable I think and could explain the strongly negative reviews her act is getting.

I did like trainwreck though. And I would most certainly hit it. She has definite slut appeal.

8. Anthony

Motherfucker
    me too. After ten minutes you get the point.

9. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    I haven't seen her newest special BTW, so maybe it does really suck. I have noticed when comics like her who deal in real general material start to become popular, and then they try to cash in by becoming more prolific and pump out more content, their act really suffers.

10. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    I don't find her funny... Funnier than Lena Dunham, certainly but not particularly amusing... She's also more attractive than her, which again isn't saying much ... I wouldn't be in any hurry to "hit it"

11. Destruction and Mayhem

She doesn't look good in that black leather outfit and with all her self deprecating talk of having a smelly pussy....in that outfit you could believe it. I have found her sexy on other occasions though.

12. Double L

Double L Book Reader

:lol:

What do you expect? She is a dirty whore. I bet Dunham is even worse. She looks like a straight up old-school street hooker.

13. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I think she is very good as a stand up comedian, her routine is funny.

Her comedy show isn't that funny though. In that sense she reminds me of Dave Chapelle, who too was much better while on stage

14. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Chapelle is an ATG stand up but I thought he was funny as hell on his show

15. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Yup....

16. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

She's talented....but I find her unfunny 98% of the times...but I don't find many women comedian funny...Silverman is funny 8% of times...

and sure I would hit it....I would prefer to catch her in season. When her body is more tone...some season she's a lot more fuckable than others..if she likes it she can call it rape.

17. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Me too. And both stand on their own. Funny for different reasons.

18. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

I loved Seinfeld (the tv show) but was never crazy about his standup. That said I've only seen bits and pieces, not anything like an hour special.

19. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

I can and do, but only in short monologues. There are none I can think of who could do a full show that I'd be interested in.

20. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Hit it? I would hit her with my car. And that would be the only time I would find anything to do with her funny.

21. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    exactly

22. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    A lot of female performers are absolutely hilarious to me (Amy Sedaris, Gilda Radner, Cheri Oteri, Amy Poehler, Mo Collins, to name just a few of many)... But I think women in standup tend to have a tough time getting noticed unless they fall into one of three categories... 1) "Attractive" Raunchy like Silverman or Schumer... "Gross"raunchy like Lisa Lampanelli, Margaret Cho, Whoopi Goldberg ... 2) gimmicky or weird like Maria Bamford, Judy Tenuta, Rita Rudner, Phyllis Diller ... or 3) Lesbian/Sexless like Paula Poundstone, Ellen Degeneres, etc. ... I suppose you could maybe argue a 4th kind of "girl humor/topical" group with someone like Jeanine Garafolo (at least back when she used to actually have a sense of humor) but even she probably would have had a tougher time getting the gig if she weren't cute... For the record, I think Joan Rivers was funny as hell and could carry a long form show on her own with no problem but for the most part they seem to get pigeonholed and put in a specific box a lot more often than their male counterparts

23. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Amy Schumer blames alt-right, Trump administration for her show's bad reviews & shitty ratings

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8uGp_JHpPLY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Netflix changes ratings after abysmal ratings for Amy Schumer special. Congratulations, Amy: you single-handedly transformed Netflix!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ySlQQphrxhU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  24. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

I'll have to actually watch it and see if it sucked or not.

25. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

I always liked her comedy as I got hooked on her show first and liked her first stand up. I haven't seen the new stand up yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it sucks as I agree with Nobelart that a comic usually starts to suck once they get successful. Kevin Hart is a perfect example of it and Dave Chappell is the exception.

I always thought Amy was sexy but at the end credits of her tv show there is a picture of her at home with her sister without makeup on and she looks terrible. That said, I'd still hit it.

26. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

Yeah, it was not good.

Just a rehash of her old "I'm not very good at sex jokes", a bunch of name-dropping to remind us that she's successful now........even though she's gotten fat and is not very good at sex............and some clumsy attempts at activism which accentuates the joke that she's a whore.........but she's still not very good at sex because guys will cum in almost anything.

She also has this drunk vibe going all the time now (not quite sure if it's an act with her or not), followed by the insecure plea that she is really secure and has high self-esteem and that "I love my life soooooo much........don't judge me"........that grates on me a bit, because I know actual women in my life like that.

I mean, I fucking like to drink every once in awhile, but I'm really annoyed by Alcoholics.

27. Destruction and Mayhem

Yeah...that's the one I watched. Wasn't good. And all this talk about her having a pussy that smells like a baby goat, at the best of times, wasn't funny....just revolting.

28. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    No
    No
    No

29. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Monique use to be that way. "Im a sexy fat woman that loves myself and LOVE Being fat"

Then she loses weight is all excited showing off claiming to feeling the best she ever has.

Fuck off the lot of you.

When you are fat you are miserable. I know it, you know it and everyone knows it.

30. Destruction and Mayhem

In the immortal words of Rahim from "Juice" = Fatness never prospereth!