GGG vs. the 176 lb. Danny Jacobs thread

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Dog Jones, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

GGG has pretty much no chance against RJ. Terrible style match up for him, and he's also a far lesser fighter to begin with

2. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I don't recall Roy ever beating anyone like GGG, certainly not in his 160 lb days. Guys like Castro, Hopkins, and Toney all went the distance with Roy. I think only a case can be made for Hopkins being better than GGG out of those guys and I don't think he was.

We do know that GGG handled Cubans in the ams and we also know that he beat (and earlier lost by a point to) a very similar and extremely talented fighter in Andre Dirrell in the ams.

Roy tended to fight smart so he's the pick over GGG, but GGG would bring a lot of hope into the fight for his backers. Roy also picked opponents smart so he doesn't figure to ever fight GGG at 160.

3. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Years after the fact, picking Bernard at 160 seems like a pretty dumb move :lol:

4. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

X is CORRECT Though...

If Roy POTSHOTS, How's GGG Going to Counter Him???...Roy Could Land SINGLE Shots @ a Time on ANY Fighter in History...

Tarver was Able to Catch Roy in an EXCHANGE, Throwing a Combination that Missed...Griffin and Harding MADE Roy Lead, and Had Success Countering Him...If Triple G Tries to MAKE Roy Lead, he Gets BEATEN to the Punch All Night and By the Time he Attempts to Counter, Roy's Already Playing DEFENSE...

For What it's Worth, All 3 Guys REED Noted had BETTER Handspeed than GGG...

Obviously, Roy WASN'T Perfect, but his Style is All WRONG for GGG...

REED:hammert:

5. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    GGG would be like.....................[​IMG]

6. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    middleweight wasnt jones peak but he would still be too much for golovkin. we are talking two different levels of fighters here

7. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Two different levels where the guy at the higher level has a style thats all wrong for the guy at the lower level.

8. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Tarver and Harding had better hand-speed than ggg? I call Bullshit on that one.

9. Double L

Double L Book Reader

This is where i figured we would end up.

10. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

REED and Others have been Calling Bullshit on Your Roy Jones Related Thoughts for Nearly 20 Years Now, Dude....

REED:loser:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  11. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Are You Suggesting Roy Jones ISN'T a Higher Level Fighter than Triple G and What EXACTLY Are You Basing This On???....

Literally, This Would Be the FUNNIEST Roy Jones Opinion You've Voiced Since Picking WHOlio Gonzalez to Beat Him...

REED:lol:

12. Jesus of montreal

I'm pretty hard on RJ these days, but it's obvious he was a much better fighter than GGG. We have to rebember that GGG best clear win is probably Lemieux or Murray.

13. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:

Or Jacobs.

Oh sorry I see you said his BEST clear win.

His next-best CLEAR win would be Jacobs.

:lol:

14. Double L

Double L Book Reader

The term, "level" makes it seem like they don't belong in the same ring, like there's a bunch of guys who are not as good as rjj, but they are at least on his level. And ggg isn't as good as them, let alone RJj. But that's absurd. He certainly accomplished more than ggg has at this point, even at respective points in their career. And rjj is obviously favored to win. But another level? It's a fantasy. And shows a unrealistic assessment of rjj's ability and limitations. And hence, i object to the characterization

15. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Objection overruled. Case dismissed.

16. Double L

Double L Book Reader

So a fighter with a brilliant amateur career and a 30-40 fight win-streak with 90% ko ratio, can't be considered just inferior to rjj? He has to be on a lower level?

Is Hopkins on a different level too?

17. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Inferior is a lower level. Superior is a higher level. Equal is the same level.

Golovkin might take out the trash better than Hopkins but it was Hopkins cuteness that kept him in the fight.

Believe it or not, Jermaine Taylor might get knocked out by Golovkin but Golovkin would not give Hopkins the issues that Taylor did.

Styles are talents all of their own.

18. Double L

Double L Book Reader

How do levels interact with styles? Does taylor alternate levels depending who he is fighting?

19. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

You DO Realize there's LEVELS to Prizefighters, Right???...Even Amongst World Class Guys, and It's NOT Even a Diss, it's Just the WAY it Is...

REED'll Put This in a "Language" You'll Understand, Utilizing Fighters YOU Appreciate...

Roberto Duran, Oscar Dela Hoya, Antonio Margarito...Would You NOT Agree There's LEVELS Between Those 3 Undeniably ACCOMPLISHED, WORLD CLASS Fighters???...REED Ain't Saying Margarito DOESN'T Belong in the Ring w/DeLa, or DeLa DOESN'T Belong in the Ring w/Duran, but there's a CLEAR Difference in Level, is There Not???...

You're REEDing Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Tooooooooooooooooo MUCH Into the Word "Levels"...Nobodies Saying Triple G is Clinton Woods or Glen Kelley or Remotely Close...Nonetheless, There's a "Level" Difference btwn Him and Roy...

20. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Yeah. I agree there are levels in the sense you describe. How many are there? :lol: I mean. The examples you gave of Woods and Kelly are obvious. But you start slicing it much more than that and I think you are kidding yourself.

21. Jesus of montreal

calling this a clear win is absurd, since most polls and commentators had Jacobs winning or a draw. But then, its not exactly your first contradiction.

22. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

It Wasn't Taylor's LEVEL that Troubled Bernard, it was his STYLE, YOUTH and Physical MAKEUP...

Taylor Had Above Average HANDSPEED, he was COMBATIVE, HUNGRY and he MATCHED BHop's Height and Length...Taylor Also Had a HERKY JERKY Rhythm that Bernard Could NEVER Quite Figure Out...

More than Anything, Taylor Caught Bernard @ the RIGHT Time...Bernard was a SPURT Fighter by that Stage and WASN'T Knocking ANYBODY the Fuck Out Anymore...

Personally, REED Would Rate Triple G as a HIGHER Level Fighter than Taylor...Definitely More SKILLED and LEARNED...But Having Said That, REED Agrees w/Irish's Assessment that Taylor Troubled Hopkins MORE than Golovkin Likely Would've...

23. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Precisely what I was saying...........Bernard would outfox Golovkin, Golovkin would be unfazed by Taylors jerky style, Hopkins could never come to terms with it.

But Hopkins nonetheless was a "Level" above both, as he arguably got past Taylor 2nd time out, and destroyed the man that destroyed Taylor.

24. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Ah. So a guy can be on a lower level, but still win by virtue of his style? Glad we have this notion of levels to keep things straight.

25. Double L

Double L Book Reader

When you say it like this, I wonder what the point of designatibg levels is except to jerk off about your favorite fighter. :lol:

26. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

REED Did a Thread Years Ago, Categorizing Fighters Historically...

Below Average, Average, Pretty Good, Good, Great, Generational...Those were the Categories REED Used...

Triple G LOOKS Good, Potentially Great, but his Resume and LACK of Urgency (In Terms of Doing WHATEVER it Takes to Land that BIG Fight) Lowers Him to that Middle Ground btwn Good-Pretty Good, in REED's Opinion...Beating Canelo w/No Fuss SOLIDIFIES Him as Good, However...HISTORICALLY Good...And Again, REED's ALREADY Labeling Dude PRETTY GOOD, Historically Speaking...

Roy Jones was a GENERATIONAL Fighter...

27. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Dude, Taylor ARGUABLY LOST Both Fights to Bernard...

But Given Bernard's AGE and INABILITY to Maintain a Workrate, Taylor's STYLE Bothered him Enough to EEK Out 2 Close, Controversial Decisions...

You Just ACKNOWLEDGED "Levels" in the Fighters YOU Liked, yet You're Being a Smart Ass In Your Next Post???...

REED:dunno:

28. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Dude, YOU Labeled Rocky Juarez, w/his PUTRID Punchrate, a "Hunter"...You Also Claimed to See "Subtle Science" in the Face 1st, Take 3 to Land 1, "Defensive" Approach of Antonio Margarito...

Talk about "Jerking Off" About Your Favorite Fighters???...

REED:lol:

29. Double L

Double L Book Reader

:lol:

30. Jeffy

Jeffy Undisputed Champion

Most polls or commentators did not have Jacobs winning or a draw.