Roberto Duran vs Juan Manuel Marquez

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Ugotabe Kidding, Apr 28, 2012.

1. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

:atu:

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Bullshit!

I'm a HUGE Duran fan, and there's no doubt he beats Chavez, but it wouldn't be a blow out.

Chavez would be competitive, but in the end a clear loser. Duran's far superior speed, and defense would be the difference.

3. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Chavez was too good and too complete and tough a fighter at his best to really lose big against anybody, and that includes Duran.

I don't doubt that Duran would win, but the idea that it would be anything other than a hard-fought, competitive fight is flat out crazy to me.

I don't care what great lightweight you are throwing out there... nobody's having an easy night against Chavez and most people lose.

4. mexican wedding shirt

Name one advantage Chavez has, one.

Everything in the fight is in favour of Duran, size, power, speed, strength, infighting, defense, literally everything, even chin and stamina.

That's why it's similar to Floyd vs Marquez, as good a fighter as Marquez is, he was up against a guy who he held not one advantage over.

Duran vs Chavez would not be competitive, Chavez would come forward and get bludgeoned and schooled by the stronger, faster, craftier, harder to hit Duran.

5. Free Ike

Free Ike WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

None
    He was a better fighter than the aids infested Dejesus who beat the shit out of Duran. I am glad I have finally stepped out of my imposes silence on DURAN. I have to thank Ugo. I am the Stalin to his Lenin. I am sick and tired of the unjustified Duran nuthuggery. He got into the head of a superior fighter in SRL and then couldn't do anything once SRl used his vastly superior skill.

It is an insult to the Fab 4 to include the vastly inferior Duran. It should be the fab 3 and a overrated rapist who violated ever rule in the book and his nuthuggers call it skill.

6. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Duran had trouble with fighters who couldn't carry Chavez's jock. Be sensible here. Put him in as one of the challengers during Duran's reign and he's absolutely the best, better than DeJesus.

7. mexican wedding shirt

Exactly, you can't name one advantage Chavez has, because he doesn't have any :lol:

Can you imagine Chavez moving to WW and fighting a prime, undefeated Leonard? He would get raped. He was not in Duran's league in terms of ability or even size.

And to clarify, Duran had mild struggles with fighters who were completely different to Chavez stylistically, guys like Viruet, and it was generally an unmotivated Duran too that struggled against anyone, such as DeJesus 1.

Have a look at the DeJesus rematch and rubbermatch to see what a prime, pumped Duran can do, let alone the Palomino and Leonard fights.

When one fighter is bigger than the other, and has every conceivable advantage, including speed, it's generally a pretty 1 sided fight unless the smaller fighter has a particular style to trouble the bigger fighter, which Chavez didn't.

8. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    IMO Chavez was the more precise puncher at close, plus his punches were a bit more compact. Also, even if Chavez didn't have an advantage in punching power, chin or mentality, he doesn't lose much in them either and thus Duran would NOT have easy time with him

9. mexican wedding shirt

Well I actually disagree, Duran was just the looser looking fighter. He was extremely precise and technical on the inside, and very accurate.

But even if what you say is true, it's not enough of a reason to be competitive with a guy who holds every other advantage.

For example Marquez is a better combination puncher than Floyd, and is more keen on letting his hands go, didn't do him much good though, as he was up against a guy that was somewhat similar stylistically, but better in every other area.

10. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Bringing up the Dejesus fight to support JCC's chances are lame, because that was a PRE-PRIME Duran that lost to Dejesus, in a non-title bout, and Dejesus and Chavez's styles were NOTHING alike.

The Duran of the third Dejesus fight, THAT was Duran at his peak. Chavez does NOT beat that Duran. Gives him a tough fight, yes. But loses clearly.

11. mexican wedding shirt

I absolutely agree, even forgetting pre prime or that Duran clearly underestimated him, they are really different stylistically.

I agree peak Duran was late 70's, he was a pure, unadulterated fighting machine, and a fucking strong, beefy lightweight too.

Chavez doesn't give him a fight though, he just doesn't. Personally I think Chavez is incredibly overrated, but I do acknowledge he was a very good fighter, with that said he matches up horribly with Duran, he would get butchered, even by the early 70's version.

Whitaker, the guy who schooled Chavez, would give Duran a very tough fight, Chavez wouldn't, he's be outsped, outsmarted, outmuscled, and he would find Duran very, very difficult to hit compared to vice versa.

12. Ugotabe Kidding

Home Page:
    Excellent expression in Duran's case:crafty:

13. Pagan

Pagan Leap-Amateur

Ugo, if you hate holding so much (and i agree with you in this), how come it doesn't bother you that much in Wlad's case? He's a much worse offender in this regard and you're still a pretty big fan of his.

14. Free Ike

None
    I agree, only because Chavez fought with skill and within the rules. If you gave him PCP and let him hold, headutt, nut hit and foul he may have. It is harder to be Pacquiao than Mayweather. It IS HARDER TO FIGHT LEGAL. Duran fought like a drunken octopus only that may have been watchable. Also, I am not sure Octopussies are homos like Duran.

15. Free Ike

None
    I am at least consistent. I hate holders and runners. Once fighter, Pernell Whitaker did both. It isn't his fault. The officials allow fighters like Duran,Whitaker, Ruiz, Slopkins, Wald Pussy and Sergio Pussy break the rules without punishment.

16. Ugotabe Kidding

Home Page:
    Actually I don't hate holding all that much, it has always been a part of boxing and fighting in general. I don't like Duran's style because he includes all the other fouls in the book to his holding. Also he seems to get a free pass for his continuous clinching because "it is not holding but mauling" or some other nonsense

17. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

tells a lot about your character that you like a doll boy such as wlad

18. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    If a guy's clinching or forearm ramming or neck pushing or back turning or ducking down and waist grabbing or headlocking while looking at the ref and waiting for him to come to the rescue, thats not only 'cheating', it's the equivalent of calling a time out in the middle of the ring. And also of relying on a third man to help you fight. It's outside the entire spirit of a combat sport. Escapology.

If the ref doesn't have to break you & you're still engaged, then you're still fighting. That isn't 'nonsense', it's the most bottom line distinction there is between styles.

19. Ugotabe Kidding

Home Page:
    Tells a lot about your intelligence that you don't respect going eight years undefeated and having a KO % of over 83:Lok:

20. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Via escapology & grey fistic accountancy. Wlad inspires about as much passion as:

[​IMG]

21. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

That picture makes me laugh. :laughing:

22. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

FREE IKE is crazy.

Duran sodomizes Marquez. It would be worse than the DeJesus rematches. It would make the Lampkin fight look like a picnic.

Duran TKO 7

23. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

I agree that Duran SODOMIZES JMM

He might literally KILL him

24. loadedgloves

loadedgloves "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Says more about your intelligence that you don't respect a 62-1 record with a 98% KO ratio (Duran at lightweight) and titles in 4 different weight classes (could have been 5 if he'd stopped at 140). Duran beat Sugar Ray Leonard, outside of his best weight class. Who is Wlad's best win again?

Duran is top 10 P4P, Wlad isn't even top 10 HW. Go learn something about boxing, you stupid fuck.

25. loadedgloves

loadedgloves "Twinkle Toes" McJack

And Chavez had trouble with Lockridge and Laporte, and got undressed by Whitaker (though Whitaker is the only LW in history who I might pick over Duran).

Chavez would give Duran a fight, sure, I just don't know how effective he would be. Like MWS said, Duran has every conceivable advantage. Nothing favors Chavez, save maybe the granite chin that would likely serve only to allow him to endure more punishment.

26. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Chavez beat Lockridge 8-4 at worst... it's the most overrated "close fight" in history

As for LaPorte, Chavez is the only guy I ever saw beat him LIKE THAT... Every other guy retreated any time LaPorte let his hands go (he was serious business when he did that, the problem was that he didn't do it often enough and would get frustrated and start trying to land one perfect shot) ... Sanchez and Pedroza stuck to countering him... Gomez did as well, only opening up when LaPorte did his irritating "Let me lay on the ropes and try to land one great shot while this guy has a field day" routine... Nelson flat out ran from him... the only guy I ever saw slug it out with LaPorte and beat him was Chavez... Chavez lost to Whitaker at a higher weight when both guys were past their very best days... I think Whitaker beats Duran, too.

The idea of Chavez in his prime years being knocked out is far fetched, the idea that anyone is so much better than him that they just brutalize him is preposterous... he was as tough as nails, had terrific ring intelligence and was as strong as an ox. I think Duran wins, too, because he WAS better, but it's no easy fight for him in a million tries.

27. LOK

I think everyone in all honesty knows Duran would murder Jmm

28. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

[​IMG]

29. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
  30. LOK