10-8 rounds with no knowndown

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Destruction and Mayhem, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

1. Gimme examples of where you would have scored a round or rounds 10-8 when there was no knockdown or point deduction.
    2. Do you agree with he concept of scoring 10-8 rounds when there is no knockdown (or point deduction)?
    3. What should be the criteria for scoring a 10-8 round with no knockdown (or point deduction)?

For me...

Leonard Hearns 2 rounds 5 and 12...could have rightly been scored as 10-8 rounds for Leonard IMO. Many Calzaghe-Lacy rounds and at least two Mayweather-Gatti rounds (certainly the 6th). There are others that I'll list when I think of them.

I think its valid to score a round 10-8 if there's no knockdown if a fighter has been dominant enough

The criteria should be total dominance as well as inflicting significant damage.

Thoughts?

2. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Fights might be more exciting if judges are more inclined to score 10-8 or even 10-7 rounds. One negative consequence may be that knock-downs become relatively less pivotal.

3. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

REED's Always Been a Proponent of the 10-8 Round, w/No Knockdown...

Not Sure if the Judges Scored it as Such, but There were 1 or 2 Possible 10-8's, No Knockdowns, in the Inoue-Nieves Fight...

REED:cool:

4. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I think we absolutely should have rounds scored 10-8 without knockdowns. Dominance should be rewarded over nicking rounds

5. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    If a guy gets wobbled and battered but doesn't go down, the guy doing the damage deserves credit... 10-8 round is warranted there

6. Destruction and Mayhem

absolutely agree. If he gets abs9olutely battered but somehow stays on his feet and survives the round, it needs to be scored 10-8. Sometimes a bullshit flash KD is scored 10-8 against a fighter who was dominating the round otherwise and so if that's the case we should definitely reward guys for dominating and battering the opponent with an extra point.

7. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Worrrrrrd

8. Destruction and Mayhem

By the way Anthony please edit the thread title from "knowndown" to "knockdown"

9. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

Na you could get way more opportunities to have shit decisions as it's so subjective. Don't get me wrong, it's correct in some cases but it would have to be a situation where a fighter does everything BUT go down.

10. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    I score all DeGale rounds 10-8 in favor of the other guy

11. Hitman

Hitman Undisputed Champion

I am vehemently against the 10-8 round without a KD. I think you need to earn that point with a knockdown, and i think fighters stay on their feet in order to earn that point. i think it is wrong to deduct it anyway. if you can't stay on your feet then you deserve a point taken away.

Leonard-Hearns 2 or Mayweather-Gatti, if those rounds transpired exactly the way they did but there was a knockdown as well (flash or otherwise) would you score it 10-7? You would have to of you score it 10-8 without the KD.

I think beyond the fact that you should reward actual knockdowns it makes scoring too subjective, it gives judges too much leeway to score a 10-8 round when it shouldn't be scored as such.

10-9 unless you score a knockdown, i've always felt that way

12. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Problem is, a Fighter Can Play Defense EXCLUSIVELY, Literally Throwing ZERO Punches, in the Name of Survival...

If a Fighter is PUMMELED for the Duration of a Round, Offering ZERO Resistance in Return, 10-8 is MORE than Appropriate, in REED's Opinion...

REED:cool:

13. Hitman

Let's run with that - so in the round Fighter A throws literally zero punches, gets pummeled by Fighter B. Offering zero resistance. Then at ten second mark, Fighter A has reached his limit and he takes a knee. He gets up at the count of 8, then the bell rings. Would you score that a 10-7 round?

14. Destruction and Mayhem

I think the first point is that knee or not the round shouldn't be scored 10-9. A round in which a fighter throws no punches and is completely pummelled is more dominant than a round in which it was competitive yet one guy suffers a flash KD...yet the flash KD round is automatically given a 10-8.

As for your question as to whether a complete pummelling followed by a knee should be scored a 10-7? Possibly, sure.

A guy should be rewarded extra for complete dominance causing damage in a round just like a guy should be rewarded for a KD.

15. Hitman

So in a close round where Fighter barely wins and then scores a flash KD should we just score that 10-9 as well because that better reflects the level of dominance fighter A had in the round?

I think the main point that if you are going to score a dominant round 10-8 without a KD then you have to score the same round 10-7 if there is also a KD scored. Or are we changing the way we score KD's?

The way boxing is scored is flawed, unless we develop some kind of ultra-sophisticated scoring system that weights power punches, assesses damage, counts clean punches and scores a detailed best out of 100 score for each fighter for each round we are going to have these imperfections. If we introduce these grey areas then are we going to start rating knockdowns as well? Why not? After all it shouldn't be fair that a flash knockdown is 1 point deduction but a solid seat-to-the-floor knockdown also only counts for 1 point deduction.

I think we should keep it as simple as possible, 10 point must system, 1 point deduction for knockdowns. If you want a 10-8 round then knock your opponent down, if you don't want a point deducted then stay on your feet. I hold knockdowns in very high regard in boxing, i think you need to earn that point deduction and it should really incentivize you to put your opponent down (or stay up if you can)

16. Destruction and Mayhem

Hitman,

How would you score a round in which fighter A dominates but then is hit with a punch late in the round that causes him to briefly touch a glove on the canvas?

17. Double L

Double L Book Reader

All scoring is subjective. It is not like current scoring practices prevent corrupt decisions, as we know.

18. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Ya do it quick Anthony before we think he's some kind of idiot

19. Hitman

The way I always wanted to score that was Fighter A wins the round 10-9, but loses a point for the KD so 9-9

However the way I understand the 10 point must system to be is that the round goes to the fighter that scores a KD, but since he lost the round otherwise he does not get a two point round. Therefore Fighter B wins the round 10-9.

Does seem harsh, but if you don't want to lose the round then stay on your feet.

20. Hitman

I think you open the door for too much leeway if you encourage the 10-8 rounds without KDs. As I mentioned it isn't perfect and there is plenty of room for corruption/incompetence/biases. But I think it should be limited as much as possible by defining the scoring parameters in a strict way.

21. jaman

jaman Leap-Amateur

Tszyu v MAG rnd5

22. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Two that I can think of right now would be the last round of Botha vs Briggs and the 10th round of Klitschko vs Wach.