AJ vs Ray Mercer

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by puerto rock, Nov 3, 2017.

1. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Has Joshua proven enough to give a an idea how he does against Ray?

2. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Joshua on points or late stoppage unless he burns out first ( which is a real possibility) in which case Mercer stops him late. One thing is for certain though...Joshua will be winning every single round while the fight lasts

puerto rock likes this.
  3. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I agree with that.

4. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Mercer, 5x the fighter that Takam is, stops Joshua middle to late rounds of course.

5. Fortunato

Fortunato WBC Champion

Joshua wins but has to survive some scary moments to do it. Don't see him stopping Mercer.

6. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

LMAO @ Joshua by possible late stoppage. No way in fucking Hell is Joshua stopping a prime Mercer.

7. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Hard to tell. WOuld have like to see that fight

8. Destruction and Mayhem

What's so laughable about this, sidekick? Mercer chin was the stuff of legend, I agree, but his defense was horrible and if you keep hitting that chin over and over again with hard punches from a very large man, at the very least he could be stopped on his feet. Yes...I know....Lennox Lewis couldn't stop Mercer....therefore Joshua couldn't do it...blah blah blah. I know that's your logic you simpleton.

9. Xplosive

Not only could Lewis not dent Mercer, imo he didn't even beat Mercer.

Not only does Joshua not stop Mercer, but if it's the Mercer that fought Lewis... Joshua doesn't even win.

10. Destruction and Mayhem

You know as well as I that Lewis was inconsistent in his performances. Also certain styles bothered him for some reason and then he'd look like a hero against someone else. Mercer fighting Lewis to a close fight doesn't mean that he'd do the same with AJ

11. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Merciless would fucking laugh at Joshua's shots.

12. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    This is so ridiculous. All fighters are rated based on one single performance, the one that suits us the most.

Yeah Mercer gave Lewis troubles. He also got outboxed and outfought by Damiani and beaten by Ferguson, the very same Mercer. He was always inconsistent and his success depended on his opponent's style.

Also Lewis was a huge puncher but it is funny how people take it as given that he was much bigger puncher as Joshua. Lewis couldn't put Mavrovic away and had to land a shitload of clean shots against Briggs too. Not all his bouts were Golota-type blowouts.

Joshua has been labelled as chinny after suffering one KD, as a non-puncher even though he has stopped all his opponents, and easily hittable after losing more than one round in one fight

Slice N Dice likes this.
  13. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

But in the same logic, Foreman dropped Frazier 6 times with wrecking-ball punches (and he still got up after the 6th kd), took three more rounds to stop a shot and blind Frazier in their 2nd fight, couldn't put Jimmy Young away over 12, etc

14. Ugotabe Kidding

Home Page:
    Exactly what I said. You shouldn't base your picks on single fights and results, much less on the mental images of fighters

15. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    AJ probably wins a decision but there will be scary moments for him.

16. Destruction and Mayhem

I concur

17. Xplosive

Lewis was definitely a bigger puncher than Joshua. Stop fucking overrating Joshua.

I'm no Lewis fan, but if we're talking about absolutes and not P4P, then Lewis' overhand right was arguably the single most powerful punch in boxing history. Joshua has done NOTHING to be compared to Lewis as a puncher. NOTHING.

18. Destruction and Mayhem

Lewis may have greater one punch power, but Joshua may have greater overall power. Besides it's not power alone that causes KOs. The WAY you fight (Style) has a lot to do with it too.

Foreman hit harder than Frazier but Frazier was able to drop and hurt Ali but not Foreman.

Hearns' right hand was more powerful (arguably) than any one Nigel Benn punch, but Benn was able to drop barkley 3 times in one round and Hearns had HELL trying to stop Barkley in two fights.

Lewis was a one punch at a time banger...he wasn't known as being a combination puncher. Joshua puts them together well, especially well considering he's a big man. Joshua is also far more aggressive than Lewis. A "one-two" banger like Lewis may have trouble with a guy like Mercer, whereas a guy that puts them together in bunches would likely inflict more damage.

Like I said before...you watch a lot of fights, far more than anyone here, but with all that "book knowledge" you still don't seem to understand these subtle nuances of the game.

19. Jesus of montreal

Nobody is saying this. You're making some exagerations in order to protect your new hero. I never seen anyone claim AJ was a non-puncher, and those saying he's chinny are basing this not only on the WK fight, but also on the Whyte fight.

Beating an old great fighter (albeit fragile and heartless) and blowing out some b- guys, is not the stuff of legend.

20. Ugotabe Kidding

Home Page:
    But Ray Mercer is stuff of legend, right? After all, that is all I am arguing against

21. Destruction and Mayhem

As you know...if you try hard enough you can disparage most boxer's records.

Take Lewis for example....for argument sake I could say that Lewis preyed on an old washed up post-prison Tyson, an ancient Evander Holyfield, a Ruddock that was already damaged by Tyson, Morrison and Briggs who were both already stopped and exposed years before, struggled with a hapless Bruno, beat a fat and limited Tua, and got knocked out cold by both Rahman and McCall.....not exactly the stuff of legend.

22. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Not sure who would win this, but damn, I actually lean towards Mercer.

It seems like Joshua is becoming quite overrated.

It's funny, as in other MM threads I often pick modern day fighters over old timers that people often look back on with slightly too rose tinted glasses, but in the case of heavyweights fuck - I think modern heavyweights are shit compared to any era, even Tyson's. Joshua right now is just the best of a very bad bunch.

I mean, Lucas Browne and Parker are world level heavyweights ffs. Tony Bellew is a top ten heavyweight :D

Xplosive likes this.
  23. Jesus of montreal

You can but you would look foolish. (not to mention that you don't mention his victories over Golota and VK). Let's just say that presently, it's a lot easier to disparage AJ record than LL one.

24. mexican wedding shirt

Absolutely spot on.

25. Destruction and Mayhem

People seem to forget that Mercer was shit. he was basically shit with a great chin and heart. Tommy Morrison was winning every second of every round until he ran out of steam and Mercer pounced on him. Mercer lost to Jesse Ferguson and an OLD Larry Holmes. You really think an OLD Larry Holmes was lasting the distance with Joshua? You really think Ferguson had a chance with Joshua?

mercer was shit...shit shit shit.....with a great chin.

26. Destruction and Mayhem

Golota? Who the same guy that got beaten by Michael Grant? Please. As for Vitali....best victory on Lewis' resume by far IMO and even then it can be argued that without the eye injury Vitali would have won.

mexican wedding shirt likes this.
  27. Jesus of montreal

Golota was coming off two near victories against Bowe, and most had him beating Ruiz and Byrd, who were world champs at the time

28. mexican wedding shirt

Maybe it was a lucky style matchup, but I struggle to call anyone who arguably beat Lummox on points shit.

29. Destruction and Mayhem

Lucky style matchup. Consider:

Lewis was never a volume puncher. Never a big combination puncher. He was basically a one-two hitter. Left hook was almost non-existent (which is why the big left hook that hurt Bruno was so surprising at the time). Also Lewis' jab wasn't that great to be honest...it was more of a range finder for the most part. So you put him in against Mercer....a guy that if nothing else had chin for days and aggression and determination for days. A low volume, one two hitter who wasn't the best at controlling an opponent with the jab wouldn't be able to stop or control a steel chinned aggressive fighter, regardless of that fighter's level of skill.

30. Jesus of montreal

Lewis jab wasn't great!!!! you lost me there buddy